A Trip to the Big Railroad Hobby Show

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amfleet

Engineer
Today I took a trip out to Springfeild, MA with my dad to attend the "Big Railroad Hobby Show" at the Eastern States Exposition (aka Big E). I went last year too and pretty much everything was the same. There were three large buildings, each with 50-100 vendors and 1-5 layouts. The most impressive layouts was David Harrisons Acela/Northeast Corridor layout and Dry Hill, an excellent Amtrak set up with a large station and mail platform (few photos later). I ended up purchasing an Budd 10-6 Amtrak Crew Dorm for my layout. I also picked up some various Amtrak "paper" items from a couple of travel agencies. On the way back I spotted 1 Amtrak Roadrailer (Phase IV) on the Mass Pike. I have seen them on this road before, and on I-95 near Jacksonville, FL. All in all a good day. :)

Want to hear something kind of weird relating to RoadRailers? OK (you ave no option here). One day this summer we were idling at DLB waiting on the card so we could leave. The attendant popped open the opposite vestibule door so we could get a breeze to relieve the summer heat. We had a great view of I-95 when we saw a RoadRailer (on the highway) in Amtrak colors going south to Miami. We are guessing it had been on the Palmetto and was making the road journey since it could be done in six hours by road compared to the 11 it takes by rail when going via Tampa.

Back