Museum Pieces

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tp49

Engineer
Today I was walking by the California State Railway Museum and I notoced something new on the side. Amtrak F40 #281 was sitting on a siding among other rolling stock the museum has in its collection. I asked a park ranger if the locomotive was a loaner and he told me it's the newest addition to the museum's collection. I wonder if any other F40's are meeting a similar fate?

Its nice to know that at least 1 F40 is being preserved as they are an important part of Amtrak History.

At least some of them are getting to the museums intact, that is, as true engines. Some as we know were turned into cab/baggage cars (also called "cabbage") and are run on the opposite end of the train from a working engine to provide more safety for the engineer than a regular cab car when the train is in "push mode".

It's a shame to see them falling to the wayside. It's probably my favorite engine. It was always easy to jump something out and get you home and had the best acceleration out of the hole. But then, I'm not very fond of the P-42!! <_<

I think Trains Magazine's December 1999 Issue Says it all, "The Little Engine that did" :) ! That is my favorite issue.

I had put all my Trains magazines in a box in my basement. My parents "accidently" tossed the books into the trash. :angry: I was pissed. Anyways. If I recall there was a very good article on the F-40 and it's history. It also listed the fate and destination of all the F-40's. Well if there is an article 20 years on the Acela Express or P-42 it will read the train/locomtive the "couldn't, can't, and never will." :lol:

The F-40's have mostly either sat in Beech Grove, been turned in to cabbages, or a fortunate few have moved onto freight service, or to passenger service like Tri-Rail. My friend (Aaron Carter [who has Tri-Rail connections]) says they are looking to acquire 10-15 more cab coaches as well as regular coaches from Bombardier in preperation for complete Double Track when they will run on 20 minute headways rather than the current hour. In order to do this more Diesels will be necessary. Aaron said there are rumors that Tri-Rail is looking to acquire 10-15 F-40's from Amtrak to complement its current fleet of F-40's (several rebuilt from Conrail GP-40's). I wouldn't mind seeing Tri-Rail acquire Genesis motives, but that'll neva happen.

But don't forget Amfleet, VIA holds a small fleet of Genesis motives too (I'm not sure if they're P-40's or P-42's).

Viewliner said:
I think Trains Magazine's December 1999 Issue Says it all, "The Little Engine that did" :) ! That is my favorite issue.
I guess it's more like the little engine that still is doing (just not on Amtrak).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back