where would I go to lobby for more detroit-chicago service?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 3 trains a day isn't enough.
There has been much talk of adding additional trains once the Kalamazoo to Dearborn corridor work is completed. They're upgrading the track to handle 110 mph, the same way they did for the Kalamazoo to Porter, IN portion.

They'd have to get some dedicated train sets, so there's some red tape involved. I'm sure we'll see some links as more news comes to light. The extra holiday trains go over very well, so that's a good push. I always encourage people to ride them to show that, yes, if they add extra trains, we will ride them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3 trains a day isn't enough.
You should lobby or contact your local state representatives and state government agencies. Fortunately Detroit to Chicago is one of the corridors that will get trip time improvements and new rolling stock from the "high speed" rail money. By 2017, the DET-CHI trip times should be cut by least an hour and new bi-level coach cars should be in service.

As for increasing frequency from 3 trains a day, I'm not clear on whether that is in the plans for the upgrades that are currently funded. The route may need more double tracking to get to 4 or 5 trains a day.

The state of Michigan has a website for the Chicago to Detroit/Pontiac corridor project that you can check for information and technical documents.

I find the Midwest High Speed Rail Association to be more productive and a better use of my donation dollar than NARP (whose membership I dropped several years ago, and will probably never rejoin).

They do better local lobbying and hold events in the Midwest region. They also understand the importance of linking local transit into an intercity rail network.

NARP, on the other hand, has a "vision for the future" that is big on having a bunch of lines on a map, but short on specifics about what kind of service it would be, or how we would get there, or even making sure that links don't lead to a "404" page.

Edit: Here's the MHSRA link: http://www.midwesthsr.org

There's a lot of good advice in the previous comments.

Here's what I think you can do:

Join NARP, MARP and Midwest High Speed Rail Association. MHSRA has been particularly successful in Illinois. They have a lobbyist in Springfield and there are quite a few legislators who actively support passenger rail. Passenger rail gets support from both parties in Illinois since rural, urban and suburban areas all benefit from increased rail service. MHSRA also sponsors a lot of studies that push forward concepts for the future of passenger rail. I'm not how active they are in Michigan, but you could call or write them. Rick Harnish, the executive director, is on top on passenger train issues.

Write your local state representative and senator and let them know that you support better passenger rail services. If they are to support rail, they need to know that their constituents are behind them.

Write the governor and express your support for passenger rail.

Write your local newspapers and comment on their websites if they run stories about passenger rail.

All this take some effort (and money) but it's better than just sitting around and complaining about how things never improve.

Actually, passenger rail is in pretty good shape in Michigan. It seems to be bipartisan and the state has purchased a large chunk of the Wolverine route and will be making improvements. New cars and locomotives are coming.

Additional frequencies will no doubt be added, but that may be dependent on the South of the Lake Project, which Michigan DOT is spearheading. Even indiana seems willing to go along with this project Check the MDOT website for details.

Don't join NARP, unless changes occur now that Capon is gone, its a moribund organization. Join your local rail advocacy groups, like MARP and MHSRA, for sure. But don't just join them. What they generally don't need is your X dollars a year. What they need is brainpower, people willing to get out on the ground and do stuff. Become INVOLVED. And if they don't let you become involved, find another organization that will let you become involved.

My organization is small, and consists of just a few members. We have a lot of brainpower (most of our members, for instance, graduated from one of the top ten engineering schools) and people who are actually doing stuff. We are currently working on a very useful study that rates service level by station and compares it with similar systems- ours is commuter rail focused, primarily in New Jersey. We could use money, sure- I speak as the treasurer - but without a hell of a lot more money, the money won't make much of a difference either way.

I did an initiative once I became treasurer to raise our dues 50%, which has improved our financial condition, but only insomuch as ensuring that we are going to be solvent for the foreseeable future. I would like to have several orders of magnitude more money to play with to do things like promote our cause better, sure, but thats really not the important part.

What we really need is more people. Not more rail fans who hi-jack meetings with irrelevant reminiscing about the Super Limited that ran from Bangor to Barstow with 65 dome cars 14 dining cars and 200 all master room sleepers with a swimming pool in the observation car. People who understand that we are here to improve mobility, increase frequency, and better serve New Jersey's riding public by providing adequate service that allows people to get from point a to point b most hours of the day with reasonable speed and connections.

If you want it, Mr. MITrain, YOU are going to have to fight for it. Not with your money, but with your time and energy. Increased mobility for that subset of people who chose not to or, more likely, can not, operate an automobile.

Passenger rail service in Michigan is in terrible shape. Passenger rail service in Detroit is marginal, but seems to have a good chance to improve in the coming years. But you have just three meager routes, one with 3 round trips, and the others with one round trip each. Michigan to Chicago? It has the population density, distance, and terrain perimeters for hourly or better service. Detroit would be revived much more effectively if they allowed for construction of a functional radial commuter system. Michigan is a state with very limited service. One of these days, my friend, try to figure out how to get between, say, Bloomfield Hills and Marquette without using a car.

I'd love to see something between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, similar to the Rail Runner. We have enough commuter traffic, and U.S. 131 is simply awful in the winter. A lot of people go up to GR to shop too.

I'd love to see something between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, similar to the Rail Runner. We have enough commuter traffic, and U.S. 131 is simply awful in the winter. A lot of people go up to GR to shop too.
GOZOOBLE it.
Are you on something or having a stroke, because I seriously cannot figure you out lately. If you have something to contribute, by all means, contribute. Otherwise, knock it off.

GOZOOBLE it.
Are you on something or having a stroke, because I seriously cannot figure you out lately. If you have something to contribute, by all means, contribute. Otherwise, knock it off.
Seriously, Sarah you need to take a chill pill. I made a typo on the stupid iPad that I use for Google, and then get called out on it. I do agree with you on US 131 feeder or stub train. I had petitioned for that for that four years while a student at WM you. just having fun.

It's not so much the typos as telling people to use Google constantly. Some people prefer active discussion, not getting yelled at to use Google.

We're not librarians (at least collectively; some AU members are, I believe), but the group knows a lot of information. And at least some of it is correct!
644616_10151559907678856_1023246038_n.jpg

U.S. 131 is simply awful in the winter. A lot of people go up to GR to shop too.
It will only get worse this summer as I heard there will be construction on the S-curve. As I've mentioned on other threads, a train from GR to Detroit is sorely needed, GR to Kalamazoo too. It's insane that neither exists!

I would love to have a train that not only went up to GR, but Traverse City as well. It would be great for tourism. :)

It would also be nice to have one that went north from Lansing to Mackinac City. That could be good for the Mackinac Island crowds in the summer and college students throughout the year. I know I'd probably visit my parents more often if I didn't have to do that boring drive up north (not to mention, a dangerous drive in the winter).

I would love to have a train that not only went up to GR, but Traverse City as well. It would be great for tourism. :)

It would also be nice to have one that went north from Lansing to Mackinac City. That could be good for the Mackinac Island crowds in the summer and college students throughout the year. I know I'd probably visit my parents more often if I didn't have to do that boring drive up north (not to mention, a dangerous drive in the winter).
We've had this conversation before.....and I still agree. LOL

But seriously, major metropolitan areas and tourist spots are not connected or served and hopefully someday this will change.

Also, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is without passenger rail currently. My mom has told me stories of how she, her parents and her sisters rode the train up north when she was a child.

But... how? There's no way to cross the Straits. They'd have to have a bus bridge between Mackinac City and St. Ignace.

Back