Metropolitan Lounge in Seattle?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
The following is total speculation on my part. But several people have asked what the possibilities are for a first-class Metropolitan Lounge in Seattle's newly-renovated King Street Station. Here's what I wrote in reply to the most recent inquiry. If anyone knows more than I do, please chime in!

As you may know, the city of Seattle owns the station, and renovations were paid for from several sources:

• $10 M from the City of Seattle’s Bridging the Gap Levy [local funds]
  • $40 M from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) [stimulus and TIGER], the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT), the Washington State Historical Society, the South Downtown Foundation and 4Culture [the county agency that is in charge of distributing "1% for art" money].*
It's my understanding that Amtrak has leased the first two floors (the King Street and Jackson Street levels), so it's up to them what to do with that space. The higher floors have not yet been renovated, but the city still controls them, and they are planning to issue an RFP to see if anyone wants to use that space.

Several uses have been suggested for the Jackson Street level, including:

• A first-class lounge. Rob Eaton from Amtrak's marketing department told All Aboard Washington in 2012 that Amtrak wanted a Metropolitan Lounge, but I suspect that they're having problems finding money in the budget for a "non-revenue" space, especially after building the Met Lounge in LA. AAWA is still pushing for it, but no one that I know has seen any cost estimates.
  • A waiting area for Sounder trains. Sound Transit is not going to want to pay for a Sounder waiting room, especially since they have their own space in Union Station -- but the Great Hall there has been rented out to a private company for events, and I'm not sure what the lease arrangements are. But there have been increasing complaints that the platforms are too small, and there needs to be more space for riders to wait for trains, especially in inclement weather. But ST and Amtrak are already sharing space in Everett and Edmonds, and will soon be co-locating in Tukwila and Tacoma, so they might as well get used to it.
  • A restaurant/coffee shop. Getting ST commuters into the station would be useful for attracting food options. The location is marginal for attracting visitors other than those taking trains, since there would be no easy way to advertise outside, and there are lots of food options nearby. There's a Starbucks across 4th Avenue in the Union Station office building complex, which does lots of business, as well as Zeitgeist Coffee a couple of blocks away in Pioneer Square. The Specialty's sandwich shop next to Starbucks is currently closed for renovation, but I assume that they will be coming back. So I suspect that potential restaurant owners will need to assume that their business will come mostly from train riders... but will that be enough? Another complicating factor is the auto traffic patterns have been changed due to the Viaduct coming down, as well as more frequent stadium events, and a new building going up across the parking lot from King Street Station. The new streetcar on Jackson Street may make it easier for people to arrive in the area, but that's an unknown, and the opening date has been delayed due to problems with the cars.
* If you haven't figured it out yet, King County has very little jurisdiction within the city of Seattle. In the city, KC is responsible only for Metro Transit, sewers, and public health (a joint city-county function). Streetcars are paid for by the city, but operated by Metro. Sound Transit is an agency made up of public officials from King, Pierce and Snohomish counties, but ST's service area does not cover all of those counties. I think 4Culture is paid for with both county and city funds. ... It's complicated.

I would hope they put some kind of restaurant/cafe in the Station as the couple times I was there I saw none; of course that was during renovation when things were bare bone. I know if you hike it out a couple blocks you can find decent eating options but when you have luggage and possibly a group or family in tow that is not always an easy option.

Chamilton- Thanks for the great initial post. It will be interesting to see what comes of things. I heard initially that the plan was for a coffee/snack shop/eatery in the higher floors but would not at all doubt the desire for a Metro Lounge. From my limited understanding of things, the space is yet to be fully renovated and be build to suit for the tenant. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that Amtrak would love a Metro Lounge but the budget is restricting such expenditure and the key focus of the corridor (and management's focus) is on other aspects such as the 2017 deadline involved in Station and route relocation due to the Tacoma-Narrows bypass, working with BNSF to alleviate Mudslide concerns north of SEA, Empire Builder performance, etc. My guess is that a Seattle Metro lounge is desired but the plan is "on the back burners" so to speak. Thanks for the info you provided!

Happy Travels!- Jeff in TAC

Zeitgeist, a very short two blocks away, does an excellent job packing their very good food and beverages to go in ways that make it easy to transport back to the station: sandwiches in boxes, and trays for cups that in a pinch would fit in the bottom of the bags-with-handles they provide. I had no problem at all transporting lunch for four of us recently, and could have managed it one-handed, if other hand was needed for luggage.

Personally, I would love to see Amtrak get a restauranteur to use the larger space in the northeast portion of the second floor. You would have views of passengers boarding trains on the platforms along with a view down into the waiting room from the balcony. To be successful in this location the restaurant would need to be a destination that people want to go to. A natural fit would be a Tom Douglas restaurant, all of his places tend to be popular and busy... plus he is on Amtrak's culinary advisory team so it could be used promote the dining car on the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder.

That would still leave the smaller space in the southwest portion of the second floor (by the stairwell). That would still be a great area to put a Metropolitan Lounge (although it would be on the smaller side, like Portland's.) But I see Amtrak resisting this for two reasons... there are no train connections in SEA (EB to CS connections are made in Portland, which has a lounge) and as Charlie says... it would require Amtrak spending money to convert a space that could generate rent as a retail shop... and turn it into a non-revinue lounge.

It would be nice if there was an easier way to get to Sounder trains from the waiting room at King Street Station. Right now it involves a long walk exposed to the elements... either across Jackson Street or south along the alley between the station and CenturyLink Field. But giving direct access to the platform would likely require that Amtrak drop the whole charade with gate agents and assigned seating...

• A first-class lounge. Rob Eaton from Amtrak's marketing department told All Aboard Washington in 2012 that Amtrak wanted a Metropolitan Lounge, but I suspect that they're having problems finding money in the budget for a "non-revenue" space, especially after building the Met Lounge in LA.

Someone at Amtrak needs to understand how to do accounting better. "Non-revenue" spaces are revenue generators. 

But giving direct access to the platform would likely require that Amtrak drop the whole charade with gate agents and assigned seating...
Massively overdue. Does Amtrak actually want to save money on staff, as opposed to merely posturing for Mica? Keep the on-board staff, get rid of the gate agents...

Last edited by a moderator:
"First Class"? I though Amtrak was going all-utilitarian, and doing away with trying, feebly to provide First Class,

... there are no train connections in SEA
Incorrect: Coast Starlight or Empire Builder connections to Cascades for Vancouver, BC take place in Seattle.
Incorrect: the Coast Starlight or Empire Builder have thruway bus connections to Vancouver, BC in Seattle.

This is an important distinction because the connections are closely timed (the longest wait is 1 hour, 10 minutes for passengers arriving from BC and boarding the Empire Builder... and passengers would be allowed to board the train early) and there is a maximum of 55 passengers (not all of them in sleepers.)

Contrast this to the connection from the Empire Builder to the Coast Starlight (if it's ever allowed again)... where passengers wait in Portland for 3 hours, 40 minutes

---

I think the real argument for a Metropolitan Lounge in Seattle is to accommodate Business Class passengers on the Cascades. There is potential for Amtrak to position itself as the best way for business travelers to get between Seattle and Portland (think the NEC of the Northwest.)

Alaska Airlines operates a successful Air Shuttle between Portland and Seattle... but in both cases the airports are on the edge of town. So while the flight takes about an hour, you can expect to spend 35 minutes getting from Downtown Seattle to Sea-Tac, and another 35 minutes to get from PDX to downtown Portland. Add in 30 minutes for security... and you're looking at 2.5 hours. The Cascades currently takes 3.5 hours.

But Alaska Airlines treats all passengers as business class passengers on this route. They have a really nice terminal at PDX with free Wi-Fi, once onboard they serve free snacks, free Starbucks coffee and best of all... free wine or beer from local breweries and wineries. But once you're in the air the Wi-Fi is gone and it's so short it's hard to get any work done.

I don't think it would be too hard for Amtrak to sell Cascades business class as 3.5 productive hours emphasizing that travelers get free Wi-Fi throughout the trip and when you step off the train... you're in downtown. But I think having Metropolitan Lounges in SEA & PDX (with free coffee and snacks) open to business class passengers could help sell this service.

But the biggest selling point will come in 2017 when the Point Defiance Bypass opens. That will shave quite a bit of time off the schedule and allow Amtrak to add 2 round trips per day to the route.

The lounge in New Orleans isn't a staffed lounge so basically the counter staff pop in to make sure there is still coffee, etc. That would be a solution to the Seattle issue -- and I keep looking at that upstairs space going -- there are bathrooms down the hall, it's perfect.

And as far as I know the Metropolitan Lounge in PDX is only for Sleeping Car passengers, not business class people. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is the new LA lounge for Business Class seats on the Surfliner,etc?

The lounge in New Orleans isn't a staffed lounge so basically the counter staff pop in to make sure there is still coffee, etc. That would be a solution to the Seattle issue -- and I keep looking at that upstairs space going -- there are bathrooms down the hall, it's perfect.

And as far as I know the Metropolitan Lounge in PDX is only for Sleeping Car passengers, not business class people. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is the new LA lounge for Business Class seats on the Surfliner,etc?
All Metropolitan lounges (CHI, LAX, PDX) are open for sleeper and business class passengers. The First Class lounges (MSP, STL, NOL, RGH) are for sleeper only. Club Acela (BOS, NYP, PHL, WAS) are for Acela First, Sleeper, and United Club members. AGR Select Plus and Select Executive are welcome at all.

Just my 2 cents . as a portland native . I have Looked in to the PDX lounge and its SO empty most of the time .

I know amtrak has a nation wide policy on who uses the lounge but Here is my take .

For how under used and how little impact it would make to the CS pax in the middle of the day .

One way to promote the up grade of the Biz class on the cascades is to have a better place to sit in that nasty echo chamber of a station in PDX .

Treat the PDX lounge for all biz and sleepers and then Lets see . Perhaps it will cause a nice surge in biz upgrades that will offset the cost of more coffee and a few sodas in the lounge...

I hope they do the same in seattle .

All Metropolitan lounges (CHI, LAX, PDX) are open for sleeper and business class passengers. The First Class lounges (MSP, STL, NOL, RGH) are for sleeper only. Club Acela (BOS, NYP, PHL, WAS) are for Acela First, Sleeper, and United Club members. AGR Select Plus and Select Executive are welcome at all.
It's funny, though... i don't usually use it because I'm only taking an Alton or Kirkwood run and I arrive very near boarding (especially on 302 days where I don't make a detour for coffee first), but I've been able to use my S+ card to get into STL lounge. Disclaimers, though - I tend to only talk to one particular agent at STL that I've taken a liking to, I've been using a voucher for the last few points runs (the reason I've been made to interact with any humans at that station recently in the first place), he's seen my card because I have him put my AGR number on the tickets so I don't have to submit a missing points request on them later... Also, I know the door code anyway because I went ahead and used the lounge on my attempt to make it to Atlanta by sleeper back in August.

Everytime I have caught the CS or EB in PDX I have made use of their lounge and found it enjoyable, although not as nice as the VIA lounge in Vancouver for pasgrs boarding the Canadian.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back