Writers' Residencies

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please choose me! I'm editing my dissertation into a book and I would LOVE to do this!

Wow, what a creative way to get a lot of "free ink". Reminds me of the old line "the most cost effective advertising is word of mouth!"

Attaboy Amtrak

Bingo. Also, since this is train travel, I kind of like the idea of grass roots "advertising".

Having written parts of several books aboard Amtrak LD trains, I can certainly endorse the idea of ridin' 'n 'writin'. Sitting in a snug sleeper room as the world goes by simply lubricates creativity. On the other hand, in the last few years the tracks have so deteriorated in several places, especially along the route of the Southwest Chief, that it has become difficult to tap away at a laptop. In the last year or two I've found the library on a cruise ship a great place to write, and the ride is much smoother. (The idea is not new. Alex Haley, an old Coast Guardsman, wrote much of "The Autobiography of Malcolm X" and "Roots" while at sea on a tramp steamer.)

I'm hoping the idea of a writing residency gets going. It's a terrific idea.

It has always been my dream to get paid to travel and write about it. Granted, this is a "comp", not "comp + paycheck", but it's still pretty awesome. I can pretend. ;)

I used to get paid to write and edit restaurant reviews. That was pretty fun. I'd like to expand that to airlines, hotels, trains, attractions, etc, like the travel books and articles you find when planning a trip. It's such a difficult field to break into, though.

Right now, I just hang out on Trip Advisor. I should make my own, personal blog/website in addition to flooding Trip Advisor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! What will Mica do about this free train riding, free meals, and such that the taxpayers are footing the bill for?

SarahZ, I do hope you are selected. I like doing this type of travel/review thing also. You are a good writer and I always read your reviews with interest! Myself, I am thinking of asking Amtrak for an intern position with their metrics people. I would be doing this as a Senior Project for my Management degree. It would be great if I could actually solve some business problem for them, such as decreasing their dependence on subsidies, increasing the revenue from the food service operation, etc. Anyway, best of luck!

Can we start some sort of mass suggestion/write in that SarahZ be the next writer in residence? I'd be happy to send encouraging words to Wire.com , she certainly seems like the most likely and able choice from this site. That's my 2 cents.

I'm flattered, but it should be anyone who wants to. I think there are multiple opportunities. No need to "nominate" me. :) There are several writers on this site.

I wonder if Micah's seen this yet.

Hello everybody i know its been a long time i wanted to ask everybody about this because i have a friend of mines who is a writer but she writes about comic books (Manga) type but it still counts of writers, i want to know what can i do to help her get those free rides on Amtrak, she is a writer so i am trying to help her out with it but she is in colorado and i am in Florida but its for her to help her out.

also i am now a NARP member now as well as an AOPA member and i been busy with college, its nice to meet all of you again.

Have her email social @ amtrak . com

Also, she can follow Amtrak on Twitter, specifically the #AmtrakResidency tag. They're asking everyone to submit their interest but to also be patient while they work out the details of the program.

Thanks Sarah your the best thank you maybe you can meet with her she is a very cool person i know and when i saw this writers thing for Amtrak i thought of her since she is a writer thank you sarah, hopefully i can meet with all of you in my travels.

OMG OMG OMG

I want to do this so badly! I already write about all of my trips (and take a ton of pictures).

http://www.thewire.com/culture/2014/02/inside-amtraks-absolutely-awesome-plan-give-free-rides-writers/358332/

I wouldn't consider it "free" work either, as I'd be getting paid with a trip.

I wonder if it's in Coach, though. :unsure:

There is someone on the Amtrak facebook page who is really putting up a fuss. ("A couple of us started a closed group: Amtrak, STOP THE RESIDENCY PROGRAM. We want the money spent on improving Amtrak and/or putting back the things they just took away, i.e. wine & cheese, flowers on the table, etc. Let me know if you're interested in being added." )

I refuse to request to join that group as she seems very misinformed as to what this program involves. Writing takes creativity and knowledge of grammar and spelling and if someone can do it in this manner, more power to them. Good luck to you, Sarah!

There is someone on the Amtrak facebook page who is really putting up a fuss. ("A couple of us started a closed group: Amtrak, STOP THE RESIDENCY PROGRAM. We want the money spent on improving Amtrak and/or putting back the things they just took away, i.e. wine & cheese, flowers on the table, etc. Let me know if you're interested in being added." )
That group has now morphed into something described as "This group is for Amtrak and VIA passengers to ask questions, express their opinions, and share their love of travelling by rail across North America." It's called The Amtrak Pros -- I guess they didn't want to talk about Amtrak Prose :)

That group has now morphed into something described as "This group is for Amtrak and VIA passengers to ask questions, express their opinions, and share their love of travelling by rail across North America." It's called The Amtrak Pros -- I guess they didn't want to talk about Amtrak Prose :)

I left the Amtrak group because of the fuss. AU is a much better place to get more accurate and pertinent information anyway. :hi:

OMG OMG OMG

I want to do this so badly! I already write about all of my trips (and take a ton of pictures).

http://www.thewire.com/culture/2014/02/inside-amtraks-absolutely-awesome-plan-give-free-rides-writers/358332/

I wouldn't consider it "free" work either, as I'd be getting paid with a trip.

I wonder if it's in Coach, though. :unsure:

I refuse to request to join that group as she seems very misinformed as to what this program involves. Writing takes creativity and knowledge of grammar and spelling and if someone can do it in this manner, more power to them. Good luck to you, Sarah!
Their fuss is misguided. Comping a few passengers is not going to dent Amtrak's budget. I'm sure already Amtrak comps travel writers. And do these people consider how much Amtrak spends on advertising? It's a huge sum, but not doing it would probably be futile.

Back