Connections on the NEC - online booking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barciur

OBS Chief
Hello

I'm a total noob when it comes to connections at AMTRAK. I've never done one myself, as I usually just travel on the Keystone service and nothing else.

I have a couple of questions though as I am planning on travelling from Lancaster to Baltimore by AMTRAK in a couple of weeks and was looking through my options.

So first stand out thing is this connection options. The Pennsylvanian arrived at 2:55 and it allows me to connect to a 1.5 hrs later NE at 4:30, despite the fact that there is a NE Regional at 3:27, so just 32 minutes after Pennsy is scheduled to arrive. Yet, the next Keystone to NE connection only wants 28 minutes, and a return connection from BAL to LNC via PHL in the early morning just states 15 mins is fine. Shown below:

KAgJaeX.png

My question is: is it because Pennsy is more likely to run into problems and be delayed hence they will not guarantee a connection, or is it a glitch in the system? Is buying a ticket like this even a guaranteed connection anyway? So If the Keystone is 40 min late and it gets in at 5:45, will I be put on a 6:08 NE no problem?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is: is it because Pennsy is more likely to run into problems and be delayed hence they will not guarantee a connection, or is it a glitch in the system? Is buying a ticket like this even a guaranteed connection anyway? So If the Keystone is 40 min late and it gets in at 5:45, will I be put on a 6:08 NE no problem?

Thanks for your help!
Yes, the reason that they will not guarantee that connection is that the Pennsylvanian is more likely to be late. Amtrak requires a greater layover time for connections that are coming from areas outside the NEC, due to the higher likelihood of a delay.

Ok, thank you for this very quick response! One more question. How does this 28 minute connection stand up against this found on amtrak's website?

Amtrak does not normally guarantee connections of less than 60 minutes (90 minutes between arriving long-distance trains and local trains in the Northeast Corridor).

Ok, makes sense! Thanks. So generally speaking - if the reservation system throws it up, it's a guaranteed connection. Good to know.

If I miss the connection due to a delay (unlikely but still) - do I have to report somewhere at PHL to let them know?

Absolutely speaking - if the reservation system throws it up, you're good.

If you miss the connection, yeah - you need to head to the customer service desk to get tickets on the next train.

Actually, strike that - in your case since the Keystones are unreserved, I *think* you can just get on the next train and use that ticket. I'll defer that to someone that knows better than I.

Ok, thanks a lot for quick assistance! So if I miss the NE Regional I'll go to the CS desk, if I miss the Keystone I'll wait and see what someone who might know something about connections to unreserved trains. Thanks a lot I appreciate the help :)

Correct on the ability to use your ticket on the next Keystone without getting it changed. The ticket will have a train number on it (that's a side-effect of the eticket conversion; back in paper ticket days, unreserved trains didn't have a date, time or train number on them, just an expiration date), but it is actually valid on any unreserved train serving the endpoints listed on the ticket, in either direction, for the validity period (generally one year).

Correct on the ability to use your ticket on the next Keystone without getting it changed. The ticket will have a train number on it (that's a side-effect of the eticket conversion; back in paper ticket days, unreserved trains didn't have a date, time or train number on them, just an expiration date), but it is actually valid on any unreserved train serving the endpoints listed on the ticket, in either direction, for the validity period (generally one year).
huh! That's something I didn't know. Interesting!

You have to be careful, though. If you have an onward connection at PHL and your ticket is not lifted on your first scheduled run you may find that your reservation has been canceled when you try it again later. Since you do have a scheduled train, and Amtrak is expecting you on a later Northeast Regional connection, which is reserved, it would be best to give them a call straight away if your plans unexpectedly change.

I agree that should one miss the Keystone train it's best to call Amtrak to inform them of your situation. Show up at the ticket office in Philly they'd say you'll have to buy a new ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back