Driving to NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahZ

Quality Control
BF and I are planning a trip to NYC on an undetermined date. We have considered:

a) backtracking to CHI to pick up the LSL (not bad, but it wastes most of a day)

b) driving to TOL to board the LSL in the middle of the night (yuck, no)

c) driving to NYC (best option for travel time/schedule)

If we drive, I'm positive parking in NYC is akin to parking in Chicago, yes? So, I was wondering if there are any stations along the LSL or Pennsylvanian route that have free/cheap ($6-8/day) long-term parking. It can be a few hours from the city; we aren't picky. I'd like to take a train in, just not all the way from Michigan/Ohio.

New Jersey would be okay too, but I figured PA/NY would be "on the way" and more convenient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my two cents: I used to be the New Jersey Transit Ticket Agent at Convent Station, New Jersey, near Morristown, and a short way off Interstate 287. There is a large parking lot there which would fill up by the end of rush hour, but it is probably the best station parking on that line, and very reasonable. If you arrived late in the afternoon or in the evening, spots should readily be available. It is a one hour train ride from New York Penn. However, my further advice to you would be to call the Morris Township offices that are in charge of this parking lot and inquire as to what the current procedures are for parking. I left there at the end of 2001, so further research would be advisable.

This is a good and safe location, and from Ohio all you would need to do is drive east on Interstate 80 ( not my favorite highway ) across Pennsylvania into New Jersey and then take Interstate 287 south to the Rt. 124, Madison Ave. exit. Go east about two miles and turn left at the Madison Hotel, which is West Convent Road. Drive in one block and the station and parking lot is very obvious.

Their website says Lots 1, 2, and 4 allow non-resident, overnight parking for $5/day. :)

A lot of members use Metropark. I have no clue where this (other than in NJ) is or how much it costs.

Another option is that if your driving in on the NY Thruway (I-90), you could park at BUF, ROC, SYR, Utica, SDY, or ALB. All these stations are fairly close to I-90. West of ALB, there are numerous trains daily to NYP. From ALB south, there are many more.

Or go to KIN and park at the_traveler's place. He'd probably only charge you for a round trip ticket to NYC...via LAX. :ph34r: :giggle:

I Sugggest ya'll Consider Dave's Suggestion to Park on the LSL/Empire Service Route in NY State,(All Daylight Stops) then Hop an Empire Service Train, the Maple Leaf or the LSL to NYP!!!! Looking forward to your ABQ Trip Report and any Pics! Happy New Year!! :)

Convent is definitely a good choice to park at (it's my home base station for fanning NJT-Amtrak). It's relatively isolated, cheap, and on your way compared to Metropark, which is about another 45 minutes or so drive out of the way of your travel. Not to mention the community is good, so you shouldn't have to worry about leaving your car overnight if that is part of your plan.

Another option would be to "home base" somewhere just outside the city, hopefully at a hotel with free parking.

Then just take the train into and out of the city to see the sights.
That's also a possibility. I'll have to weigh commute time vs. hotel costs on my "pain in the backside" meter. ;) We found a really cool place called The Jane that isn't whopping-crazy expensive. The rooms are tiny, but we're only going to be there to sleep and shower. We don't require lots of amenities or square footage. If I can sit in a roomette for two days, I can handle sleeping in that room. ;)

Not yet, but I'll take it into consideration. Commuting into NYC by train might not be as tedious (and boring) as traveling from the hotels near O'Hare into the Loop via the Blue Line.

Another option would be to "home base" somewhere just outside the city, hopefully at a hotel with free parking.

Then just take the train into and out of the city to see the sights.
That's also a possibility. I'll have to weigh commute time vs. hotel costs on my "pain in the backside" meter. ;) We found a really cool place called The Jane that isn't whopping-crazy expensive. The rooms are tiny, but we're only going to be there to sleep and shower. We don't require lots of amenities or square footage. If I can sit in a roomette for two days, I can handle sleeping in that room. ;)
:cool: Nice Find Sarah! Really looks like a Great Place and the Prices seem Reasonable for the Amenities and for New York! I've Lived in Places Smaller than That in the NE for Lots of $$$$ ;) !

Last edited by a moderator:
While that sounds good, that hotel is in Manhattan - with high parking costs!
We aren't going to park in NYC. We're going to park somewhere outside of the city and take the train in. That's why I asked about places to park along the LSL (or another NY state train) route. ;)

New York, NY: it's a wonderful town. The Bronx is up and the Battery's down. The people ride in a hole in the ground....

Elizabethtown (E-town), PA has free parking. The Keystone will take you into New York in about 3 hours with multiple trains per day. I don't know the availability of parking and cost west of Harrisburg on the Pennsylvanian. East of Harrisburg, E-town is one of the best because all Keystone trains stop which is not true for some other stations.

I believe E-town has finished it's new long term lot but I haven't parked there in a while. It is a small town and very safe for keeping your car parked for multiple days.

Denville NJ Train station $3 per 24 hours overnight allowed, the best parking deal around. Then a 60 minute ride on new jersey transit to NYC Penn Station.

Interesting suggestions. In the past I flew into LGA or JFK and took a taxi or shuttle or black car service to my hotel. From that point on it was mostly subways and walking. One time I decided to shake things up and drive from San Antonio into Manhattan. Everyone said it was a crazy idea that would never work, which only made it more appealing. Once we got to Manhattan we looked at the absurdly expensive parking and decided to just park illegally wherever we went. Eventually on the very last day we got caught. Even though the parking ticket was expensive it was still much cheaper than parking legally would have been.

Back