Amtrak Phase IV, IVB, and V Setup

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am planning on building an Amtrak HO train. My plan is to do the set up like in the picture attached. Is this a realistic setup? I really like the Superliner I Phase IV cars; however, there is no Superliner I transition car (there is a Phase IV Superliner II transition car).

I could also go with all Phase IV cars, switching out the IVB diner and the IVB transition car for phase IV models; however, I already have the IVB Diner (I got a great deal on it).

Also, were the Phase V locomotives used with Phase IV superliners?

Train.jpg

LOL....well, the last car is a Phase IV Superliner I Coach / Baggage

09320000016153.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IV and IVb will mix fine, reflecting the transition period between the 2 schemes. I believe by now everything is IVb. From what I have seen the Walthers Superliners are the best.

The only thing making me twitch is the lack of a Sightseer Lounge. Do they make them? If not, then just ignore me. :)

IV and IVb will mix fine, reflecting the transition period between the 2 schemes. I believe by now everything is IVb. From what I have seen the Walthers Superliners are the best.
Thanks for the confirmation. I am going with the Walthers Plated Superliners. The locomotives will probably be Kato, although, no company currently makes a dummy locomotive. The heritage baggage car will be Walthers Proto, also a plated version.

And since Amtrak regularly hauls Private Cars, have some fun and toss a couple cars from your favorite pre-Amtrak line(s) on the end :)
That is not for me. I just like the Amtrak. :)

The only thing making me twitch is the lack of a Sightseer Lounge. Do they make them? If not, then just ignore me. :)
Yes, I will probably do that as well. Especially if the price is right. :giggle:

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the Superliner I order ever included transition cars. I think at the time they still used the El-Capitan transition cars, if needed.

peter

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the Superliner I order ever included transition cars. I think at the time they still used the El-Capitan transition cars, if needed.

peter
I think that is correct. They do not make a Superliner I transition car. They do make a Superliner II transition car though.

Also, one more question. Could the Phase V locos be used exclusively with Phase IV cars. It would be the same setup as above, I would just switch the IVB cars with IV cars.

Thanks

Walthers Proto does offer a Hi Level Step Down Coach in Phase I and II but it looks like your train will be current enough you will not need them. If you are a creative modeler you might consider picking up their Hi Level Lounge Undecorated and turn it into a PPC; I'm sure decals are available or could be made. To make it correct you'd have to pull the interior inserts and modify them, which could be a fun project. Then you'll be ready to run a Coast Starlight.

I understand very well your grouse about the lack of dummy locomotives. I static model and that saves a lot of money on a train that goes nowhere :) Back in the 70s and 80s just about everything Athearn offered had a very reasonably priced dummy available but it looks no more. DCC and all that fancy stuff has made powered way to expensive to sit quietly on a shelf.

Back