;-) If the train's late - do I have to pay more? ;-)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmushial

OBS Chief
;-) ON

If I bought a ticket for a 40 hour CZ ride, and it lasted 44 hours, ie, arrived 4 hrs late :) am I expected to pay an additional 10%? ;-) ... After all: If I buy 10 laps at Nurburgring ($32/lap) but went for 11 (just couldn't call it quits after 10), they would charge me an extra 10%... does Amtrak charge me an extra 10% if the fun lasts 10% longer than expected?

(maybe I shouldn't ask - don't want to give them any ideas ;-( ).

curious minds need to know - greg

;-) OFF

A couple years ago I missed connection between the Cal Zephyr and the Shuttle Van at Galesburg; so Amtrak kept me on to Chicago, put me in a nice hotel, handed me $35 Meal Money and got me out on the next Day's Texas Eagle giving me an extra 6 hours train time. On top of that they tossed in a $250 Voucher.

That's the kind of Bonus I like :)

A couple years ago I missed connection between the Cal Zephyr and the Shuttle Van at Galesburg; so Amtrak kept me on to Chicago, put me in a nice hotel, handed me $35 Meal Money and got me out on the next Day's Texas Eagle giving me an extra 6 hours train time. On top of that they tossed in a $250 Voucher.

That's the kind of Bonus I like :)
Now, that's the correct way to treat a customer... suspect you didn't/haven't had anything to say negative about them :)

I call that a *bonus*! More train for the $.
I put it under the heading of: life is good :)

But to tell you the truth: when the CZ is late, yes, there are a few that are unhappy, mostly because they've missed a connection, or because somebody has had to wait unexpectedly long to pick them up... but I generally don't hear railfans complaining about spending the extra time on the train. ... and as I've posted elsewhere, am always grateful when the CZ into OMA (eastbound) is an hour or two late - getting in on time at 5am is always a bit "rude" [especially this last week when it was -8F at sunrise]... but two hours later at 7am is much more civilized. :)

But to tell you the truth: when the CZ is late, yes, there are a few that are unhappy, mostly because they've missed a connection, or because somebody has had to wait unexpectedly long to pick them up... but I generally don't hear railfans complaining about spending the extra time on the train. ... and as I've posted elsewhere, am always grateful when the CZ into OMA (eastbound) is an hour or two late - getting in on time at 5am is always a bit "rude" [especially this last week when it was -8F at sunrise]... but two hours later at 7am is much more civilized. :)
I'll dissent on the "being late into OMA" option, at least for my one instance. I was coming home from a visit out west, with a 5 AM arrival and work flexible, though 2.5 hours away (said that I'd like off until noon in case, but would come in earlier if I could.) The train arrived around 5:15 AM, I got off, drove home, showered, and was at work at 8:16 AM. ^_^

Try that when flying. I'd definitely be more late there, if only because of luggage and general airport annoyances.

I'll dissent on the "being late into OMA" option, at least for my one instance. I was coming home from a visit out west, with a 5 AM arrival and work flexible, though 2.5 hours away (said that I'd like off until noon in case, but would come in earlier if I could.) The train arrived around 5:15 AM, I got off, drove home, showered, and was at work at 8:16 AM. ^_^

Try that when flying. I'd definitely be more late there, if only because of luggage and general airport annoyances.
Would have to respect that point of view. I guess I'm lucky that when I fly Amtrak I'm on my own time (99% of the time), so the clock is a lot less important... but I can appreciate your position/needs.

Would have to respect that point of view. I guess I'm lucky that when I fly Amtrak I'm on my own time (99% of the time), so the clock is a lot less important... but I can appreciate your position/needs.
Definitely. I was more than prepared for a semi-late train (and my boss would've been understanding had the train been extremely late and allocating until noon wasn't enough time.) But to be able to show up at 8:16 AM after traveling until 5 AM the same morning AND be perfectly functional the entire day? Never happening on an airline, I'll tell you that!

She's awesome at locking and deleting but her "You've Got Mail" skills are abysmal.
Ah... but imagine this board without her/them - can you spell foodfight?... I'm ever grateful that they're willing to put forth so much unappreciated effort... and my impression (which could very well be mistaken - the art of being human): is that net net they do a pretty fine job of it. ... and given that she get's paid about as much for being a moderator as we both are for being "OBS Chief's" : all I can say is thank you.

Definitely. I was more than prepared for a semi-late train (and my boss would've been understanding had the train been extremely late and allocating until noon wasn't enough time.) But to be able to show up at 8:16 AM after traveling until 5 AM the same morning AND be perfectly functional the entire day? Never happening on an airline, I'll tell you that!
... we both choose to fly Amtrak for good reasons. :)

My very first long-distance train trip as an adult was with my two kids when they were quite small (almost 2 and almost 5 years old), Seattle to Simi Valley, in the family bedroom, back in some "freight has priority over the coast starlate" days. We arrived 7 hours late- instead of 7:38pm we pulled in well past 2am. You can, I'm sure, imagine how I felt after *that* experience!

You got it, I stepped off that train refreshed and exclaiming, "I'm never traveling any other way again," and told anyone who would listen how we got so many extra train-hours per dollar- an incredible deal, AND the kids got TWO bedtimes on the train instead of the mere one they were promised.

My very first long-distance train trip as an adult was with my two kids when they were quite small (almost 2 and almost 5 years old), Seattle to Simi Valley, in the family bedroom, back in some "freight has priority over the coast starlate" days. We arrived 7 hours late- instead of 7:38pm we pulled in well past 2am. You can, I'm sure, imagine how I felt after *that* experience!

You got it, I stepped off that train refreshed and exclaiming, "I'm never traveling any other way again," and told anyone who would listen how we got so many extra train-hours per dollar- an incredible deal, AND the kids got TWO bedtimes on the train instead of the mere one they were promised.
Have to love the attitude... the type of person that I wish there were more of [though don't wish that to sound so negative - 99.8% of the people I've run into on the LD's are railfans - which has a lot to do with why the trips are so much fun / pleasant / rewarding / worthwhile ... and why I now will only take a flying cattlecar under duress. [somehow ;-) suspect that your little ones will grow up to be happy railfans :) ]

;-) ON

If I bought a ticket for a 40 hour CZ ride, and it lasted 44 hours, ie, arrived 4 hrs late :) am I expected to pay an additional 10%? ;-) ... After all: If I buy 10 laps at Nurburgring ($32/lap) but went for 11 (just couldn't call it quits after 10), they would charge me an extra 10%... does Amtrak charge me an extra 10% if the fun lasts 10% longer than expected?

;-) OFF
Simpy put, no. You pay for transport to a destination, not for an amount of time on board.

peter

If you are traveling First Class or Sleeper Class, which includes meals, you will continue to be fed during the extra travel hours. For four hours, I would expect you'll get an additional "free" meal at no additional cost.

I've gotten in early on several long-distance trains -- thanks to the schedule padding -- but have yet to see a refund.

(Yes, I'm joking about expecting a refund.)

;-) ON

;-) OFF
Simpy put, no. You pay for transport to a destination, not for an amount of time on board.

peter
Nudge nudge wink wink... might you have possibly overlooked the ;-) ON and ;-) OFF ?? ... (the regulars here I'm pretty sure understood the genesis of the post... but not having seen your ID over the last week plus, you might look back a couple days for a couple (now locked) threads about "demanded refunds" ... given that there are I suspect still some frayed nerves in the midst, I won't say any more. :) x100 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back