So, are there any good Blues bars near the station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, are there any good Blues cities... let's answer that question first. Four of the greatest Blues cities in the country are, luckily for us, accessible by Amtrak. In fact, the City of New Orleans connects three of these cities...Chicago, Memphis, and New Orleans. Although not on the CONO line, St Louis cannot be denied from the Blues list. So, where are the Blues bars?

From the St Louis Amtrak station, take the eastbound Metrolink to the Stadium stop. Walk three blocks south to Soulard and you are in the heart of St Louis Blues.

From the New Orleans Amtrak station take the streetcar to the edge of the French Quarter. It has become difficult to separate the blues from the jazz in NOLA and even more difficult to find a combo that isn't playing everything acoustic... and really loud. I'm sure there are areas of this great Blues city that still perform blues in its pure form but I don't know that you will find it within walking distance of steel wheels.

In Memphis, grab the trolly right outside the Amtrak station and take it to the Beale street stop. Walk a block down Beale, start at B.B. Kings and hit every bar on both sides of the street for the next three blocks.

From Union Station in Chicago your best bet is to walk north about a half mile to Hubbard street. Lots of good joints along this street all the way to State. Then a long walk or a quick Red Line trip to State and Rush where there are plenty to choose from. If you go south from the station, Buddy Guy has a place called Legends at 700 S Wabash. This joint brings in a huge variety of very good talent... usually a cover charge and at least average Cajun food.

Enjoy !!

Hey, what about Wilmington, DE? And the train station is right at this location: http://riverfrontbluesfestde.com/

(I have no clue if this is any good since I"m not a Blue's person - other than loving the color blue :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back