My Journey Begins Tomorrow (11/7)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garethe7

Train Attendant
So I will not be posting to the forums for the next several days unless absolutely necessary. But I will be keeping notes during my travels so I can post a thorough trip report.

And thanks for all the tips, advice, and information; it helped a lot.

Have a great trip, and I like the idea of notes so you can share when you get back.

Yeah have a great trip. Note taking is great too, not just for trip reports - I find it really fun to go back and read my notes from trips years ago that I can barely remember. The notes bring a lot of it back!

Yes, without wifi on most of the trip I will have plenty of time.

Anyway, all trains running on time this morning, and I've confirmed all hotel rsvps. Currently doing last minute cleaning/packing along with a Barnes & Noble run for some stuff to read. And I was on Google streetview and delighted to see I have two CVS's and a McDonalds on the same block of my hotel in Chicago, which means I don't have to overpack food/drinks, I can replenish mid-route.

Yeah have a great trip. Note taking is great too, not just for trip reports - I find it really fun to go back and read my notes from trips years ago that I can barely remember. The notes bring a lot of it back!
I agree, I was looking at some pictures and receipts from a trip to France about 10 years ago and considered tossing them, but couldn't bring myself to do it. The memories came flooding back, talk about train travel! Navigating an unfamiliar network in Paris and then the bullet trains AND not knowing the language very well made for an added element to journey by rail but still had a good time with one exception. Rick Steeves guide did not mention validating the train ticket and the ticket taker on the bullet train had a conniption fit no doubt filled with French expletives....but I had the joy of watching a Frenchman get mad. Not one to just sit and take it, I snapped right back, and he disappeared in a huff.....since it was a bullet they couldn't throw me off.

When my brother went to Paris he and his party kept finding reasons to send the food back so they could watch the waiter get mad.

Edit: they were in college, I don't condone that of course, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your looking for a convenient CVS and McDonalds in Chicago, you can't get much more convenient than at Union Station.

For CVS, go up the excelsior by the ticket counter, exit the doors on Canal Street and turn right. Walk to the end of the block (1/2 block) and CVS is on the opposite corner.

For McD's, it's easier. Go up to the 2nd floor food court inside the station, and McD's is there!

Back