Steam railroad coming to Pratchett's Discworld

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Um, I guess this is the right place for this topic: Well-known fantasy author Terry Pratchett is "modeling" the steam railroad in his latest book.

A conversation with Terry Pratchett

I’m finishing up Raising Steam, in which the railroad comes to Ankh-Morpork [the central city of his world], and an awful lot of things have to be made and discovered until you get to the top of that pyramid. You can’t have Vaseline until someone’s invented something else.

Thanks for the link! I'm a big Pratchett fan. I figured that the technological evolution of DiscWorld would eventually

reach the railroad phase. (They seem to be in the mid-19th century) Looks like "Raising Steam" is set for release

November 7 in the UK.

On a related note, NPR interviewed Pratchett on Sunday. Many of his fans already know this, but Pratchett has been

diagnosed with a form of Alzheimers. He can no longer read. He writes by using a dictation device. Amazingly, his

work since the 2007 diagnosis has been as strong and prolific as ever.

I figured that there might be crossover interest between AU and Pratchett! :) AU member Anderson and I attended the North American Discworld Convention in July, and while Sir Terry was unable to attend in person, he did have a Q&A session with us on video.

1003412_10200708842378295_486549552_n.jpg

He seemed rather better than I might have expected--he's as witty as ever. It will be great fun to see what he makes of the "iron horse" in his world.

Back