Train Simulator 2014 is Out (As of 9/26/13)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fan Railer

OBS Chief
If you already own TS2013, it should have auto upgraded the last time you ran it since the date in the title.

First video from me after the update to 2014:

Great game but dosen't seem like a significant improvement over 2013. How do you run maintain a steamer at good speeds? LOL at speeding, 72 in a 45 zone!

Do some German Baureihen, I wish they would introduce the Baureihe 103 into the game, that was a great locomotive to ride if only a bit cramped in the cab. They had a four-minute rating of 10,500 horssepower, awesome at accelarating!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna check it out now (see if its already downloaded).

Edit: Took an SP EMD SW1500 DP out for a spin on the Somerset Dorset Joint Railway...LOL!

Great game but doesn't seem like a significant improvement over 2013. How do you run maintain a steamer at good speeds? LOL at speeding, 72 in a 45 zone!

Do some German Baureihen, I wish they would introduce the Baureihe 103 into the game, that was a great locomotive to ride if only a bit cramped in the cab. They had a four-minute rating of 10,500 horsepower, awesome at accelerating!
Operationally-wise there isn't really much of a change, besides the addition of a zoom feature and changing the operator error display interface. The major changes here are in the user interface and menus. I'm patiently waiting for them to release a new slew of rolling stock for me to play with.

As for steamers, they're temperamental, and it's taken me several months to learn their intricacies. Even so, it's difficult to achieve and maintain track speed with a heavy consist going up a grade without losing too much steam pressure. A few key things to remember: Using the blower increases the rate that steam pressure is generated. Also, if the water injector is in the on position, you are going to lose steam since you are adding cold water to the boiler. Everything else is just dependent on playing around with the regulator and throttle. You're really only going to achieve track speed (or above) when on level terrain or going down grade. With that said, certain steam locomotives are coded differently from others, lending to easier operation (speed-wise)

Great game but doesn't seem like a significant improvement over 2013. How do you run maintain a steamer at good speeds? LOL at speeding, 72 in a 45 zone!

Do some German Baureihen, I wish they would introduce the Baureihe 103 into the game, that was a great locomotive to ride if only a bit cramped in the cab. They had a four-minute rating of 10,500 horsepower, awesome at accelerating!
Operationally-wise there isn't really much of a change, besides the addition of a zoom feature and changing the operator error display interface. The major changes here are in the user interface and menus. I'm patiently waiting for them to release a new slew of rolling stock for me to play with.

As for steamers, they're temperamental, and it's taken me several months to learn their intricacies. Even so, it's difficult to achieve and maintain track speed with a heavy consist going up a grade without losing too much steam pressure. A few key things to remember: Using the blower increases the rate that steam pressure is generated. Also, if the water injector is in the on position, you are going to lose steam since you are adding cold water to the boiler. Everything else is just dependent on playing around with the regulator and throttle. You're really only going to achieve track speed (or above) when on level terrain or going down grade. With that said, certain steam locomotives are coded differently from others, lending to easier operation (speed-wise)
Ugh, so complicated. What's a good beginner steamer? I'm really bad with game codes, I can't figure them out at all.

How about that Baureihe 103? Are they ever going to release it for this game?

Ugh, so complicated. What's a good beginner steamer? I'm really bad with game codes, I can't figure them out at all.

idk about the 103, but a good starting steamer is probably any one of the british ones. the american steamers are the ones that are harder to handle. however, i have mastered the big boy, and the video i'm rendering now will display that mastery as #4014 leads an excursion over sherman hill.

idk about the 103, but a good starting steamer is probably any one of the british ones. the american steamers are the ones that are harder to handle. however, i have mastered the big boy, and the video i'm rendering now will display that mastery as #4014 leads an excursion over sherman hill.
Which British steamer exactly? Is the Black Five easy or the LNER A4? What about the Baureihe 52? I'm terrible at handling steamers so I'm just pumping out questions. The British steamers might just be easier because they have easier routes with less grades. I got swamped with a Black Five on the Bath-Templecombe.

To be honest, not sure. I've just had a better experience with them, but perhaps that's because I don't run them with the ridiculously heavy consists that I do with the American steamers. I just thought that the American steamers would handle the heavy loads better because that's what they were designed to do.

Thanks for posting the videos. Haven't spent much time on it since the upgrade to 2014.

Looking forward to getting the Pacific Surfliner soon. Wish they would now do the LA to SLO part of the Surfliner!

Thanks for posting the videos. Haven't spent much time on it since the upgrade to 2014.

Looking forward to getting the Pacific Surfliner soon. Wish they would now do the LA to SLO part of the Surfliner!
No problem. It's a pleasure.

Here's to some messing around with the custom consist builder and quick drive (Amtrak Southwest Chief with EMD F59PHi Power):

First real life schedule run. Welcome aboard Pacific Surfliner Train 579, the Los Angeles bound express from San Diego. It is the peak travel period, so we have a 9 car train being pushed by two F59PHi locomotives. We will depart from San Diego, and call at Solana Beach (37:30), Oceanside (52:00), San Clemente Pier (1:14:00), San Juan Capistrano (1:24:00), Irvine (1:40:30), Santa Ana (1:51:30), Anaheim (2:00:00), and Fullerton (2:07:20), before terminating at Los Angeles Union Station (2:28:30). Enjoy the ride and the beautiful California Coast before we transition into the urban sprawl of Southern Los Angeles. This train follows the real life schedule of 579 (http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/536/483/Pacific-Surfliner-Schedule-040113,0.pdf), and with the extra schedule padding, we depart up to 5 minutes early from each station. All aboard:

You guys have me this close -><- to installing windows via boot camp so that I can get in on this action.

If my 27" iMac wasn't in my son's room where he's asleep, I'd probably be doing it right now.

Welcome aboard New Jersey Transit Trenton Line's Thanksgiving Weekend Extra Train 8842 (http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0070.pdf). Due to a shortage of equipment thanks to Hurricane Sandy, today's consist for 8842 consists of borrowed Amtrak equipment (2 EMD F59PHi Diesels and 10 Amfleet Cars). Following our departure from Trenton (5:00), we will call at Hamilton (8:50), Princeton Junction (15:15), New Brunswick (27:05), Edison (33:50), Metuchen (39:00), and Metropark (43:50) before expressing to Newark Penn Station (58:40), and then terminating at New York Penn Station (1:11:20). Enjoy the ride.

First real life schedule run. Welcome aboard Pacific Surfliner Train 579, the Los Angeles bound express from San Diego. It is the peak travel period, so we have a 9 car train being pushed by two F59PHi locomotives. We will depart from San Diego, and call at Solana Beach (37:30), Oceanside (52:00), San Clemente Pier (1:14:00), San Juan Capistrano (1:24:00), Irvine (1:40:30), Santa Ana (1:51:30), Anaheim (2:00:00), and Fullerton (2:07:20), before terminating at Los Angeles Union Station (2:28:30). Enjoy the ride and the beautiful California Coast before we transition into the urban sprawl of Southern Los Angeles. This train follows the real life schedule of 579 (http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/536/483/Pacific-Surfliner-Schedule-040113,0.pdf), and with the extra schedule padding, we depart up to 5 minutes early from each station. All aboard:

Didn't see the "Moon Amtrak" crowd LOL! What's with the disappearing people on the platform at 1:30:20? The walk up behind the guy who keeps looking at his watch and just disappear!

First real life schedule run. Welcome aboard Pacific Surfliner Train 579, the Los Angeles bound express from San Diego. It is the peak travel period, so we have a 9 car train being pushed by two F59PHi locomotives. We will depart from San Diego, and call at Solana Beach (37:30), Oceanside (52:00), San Clemente Pier (1:14:00), San Juan Capistrano (1:24:00), Irvine (1:40:30), Santa Ana (1:51:30), Anaheim (2:00:00), and Fullerton (2:07:20), before terminating at Los Angeles Union Station (2:28:30). Enjoy the ride and the beautiful California Coast before we transition into the urban sprawl of Southern Los Angeles. This train follows the real life schedule of 579 (http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/536/483/Pacific-Surfliner-Schedule-040113,0.pdf), and with the extra schedule padding, we depart up to 5 minutes early from each station. All aboard
Didn't see the "Moon Amtrak" crowd LOL! What's with the disappearing people on the platform at 1:30:20? The walk up behind the guy who keeps looking at his watch and just disappear!
Lol, the disappearing people are the ones that just got off the train. I guess the disappearing is just Railwork's way of saying these passengers have left the platform lol. But then again, they could just be disapparating back home... but then there would be no reason for them to take the train in the first place XD.

Welcome aboard Pacific Surfliner Train 562, the San Diego bound express from Los Angeles. It is the peak travel period, and we are short on rolling stock, so we have a 10 car Amfleet train being hauled by one F59PHi locomotive. Note the start up of the HEP system before we depart Los Angeles Union Station. We will depart from Los Angeles (8:15), and call at Fullerton (35:00), Anaheim (42:15), Santa Ana (51:10), Irvine (1:02:30), San Juan Capistrano (1:15:05), San Clemente Pier (1:28:48), Oceanside (1:48:40), and Solana Beach (2:07:10), before terminating at San Diego (2:38:00). Enjoy the ride through the urban sprawl of Southern Los Angeles as we approach the beautiful California Coast and seaboard. This train follows the real life schedule of 562 (http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/536/483/Pacific-Surfliner-Schedule-040113,0.pdf), and with the extra schedule padding, we arrive at Oceanside 10 minutes early. All aboard.

Back