Houston to Dallas at a zillion miles an hour. Dallas to El Paso at 12mph.

Maybe such a transfer would compel Texans to pressure their U.S. Congresspersons to fund improvements to the TE route.

More likely a re-evaluation of the Texas Triangle route, which would make total sense.

The more likely scenario will be if Dallas-Houston is successful, then Houston-San Antonio and Dallas-San Antonio will be next on their expansion list.

What seems likely (to me, at least) is a San Antonio-Austin-[somewhere in the middle of the existing route] line. You'd have an expensive junction to accommodate San Antonio-Dallas and San Antonio-Houston trains, but doing so probably saves you something like 50-70 miles of track construction (at a minimum). There's a reasonable chance that adding San Antonio and Austin together (to Houston) at the cost of adding 10-15 minutes to travel time would do better than "just" San Antonio-Houston. Granted, you would ideally find a way to serve Waco, etc. along the I-35 corridor, but I suspect that San Antonio/Austin/College Station would be more than sufficient to support the line in question.

Houston to Dallas at a zillion miles an hour. Dallas to El Paso at 12mph.

Maybe such a transfer would compel Texans to pressure their U.S. Congresspersons to fund improvements to the TE route.

More likely a re-evaluation of the Texas Triangle route, which would make total sense.

The more likely scenario will be if Dallas-Houston is successful, then Houston-San Antonio and Dallas-San Antonio will be next on their expansion list.

Long after I'm dead.

So it seems like this Amtrak agreement with Texas Central was put out this early so that Texas Central can operate under federal rules of the STB instead. The STB had ruled a couple of years ago that since Texas Central was only intrastate that it was subject to Texas' rules and not under STB jurisdiction. By being under federal rules it "might" make it easier to get some of the recalcitrant counties less resistant because their complaints would have to be heard at the federal level, whereas previously State and local legislation were being passed to kill the route.

But who knows in these days where the federal government is changing so dramatically with its oversight.

Edited by AlamoWye