OpenBVE Amtrak and NJT stuff For Your Operating Pleasure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fan Railer

OBS Chief
Hey guys. I just wanted to take the time to share some OpenBVE stuff for all of you. Some of it is older material I've released, and some of it is brand new and fresh out of development. Hope you enjoy =)

Trains: LINK

Routes: LINK

Other routes not hosted by me: LINK and LINK

Some showcase videos of what's available in those links:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, nice vids, but BVE once broke my computer, so I won't run it again. Sorry, don't know what caused all those trojans and other invaders.
Got to be careful where you download the program and addons. Be smart about it, and your computer will be fine. I've never had problems with it and I've ran BVE2 for 3 years and have been running openBVE for at least the last 2.

Hey, nice vids, but BVE once broke my computer, so I won't run it again. Sorry, don't know what caused all those trojans and other invaders.
Got to be careful where you download the program and addons. Be smart about it, and your computer will be fine. I've never had problems with it and I've ran BVE2 for 3 years and have been running openBVE for at least the last 2.
I don't really understand. How exactly do you do this safely?

Only download from places that are trusted by the OpenBVE community, and if any independently hosted download looks suspicious at all, then just don't download it. In the current day and age, you can get all you need from OBTS wiki, BVE Station, and Openbveconnect, aside from my mediafire page. All the files I upload onto my page are completely clean, since I co-develop or modify existing clean material.

Only download from places that are trusted by the OpenBVE community, and if any independently hosted download looks suspicious at all, then just don't download it. In the current day and age, you can get all you need from OBTS wiki, BVE Station, and Openbveconnect, aside from my mediafire page. All the files I upload onto my page are completely clean, since I co-develop or modify existing clean material.
OK, thanks. Don't have the time right now, might try it out later.

Are BVE objects still being coded using text files? I do remember there being some sort of cylinder shape being in the object codebase the last time I was following the developer community.

I know some of the subway developers have figured out how to do rounded rooflines on NYC subway cars, but I don't know how well these could be adapted to a potential Amfleet coach. Had I gotten deep into BVE object coding years ago I might've taken a stab at it by now.

---PCJ

Are BVE objects still being coded using text files? I do remember there being some sort of cylinder shape being in the object codebase the last time I was following the developer community.
I know some of the subway developers have figured out how to do rounded rooflines on NYC subway cars, but I don't know how well these could be adapted to a potential Amfleet coach. Had I gotten deep into BVE object coding years ago I might've taken a stab at it by now.

---PCJ
Yes, OpenBVE still uses "C" and other "C" variants for coding purposes.

This technology would be perfect for generating a 3-D Amfleet model (or many other passenger car models):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oie1ZXWceqM

I'm not sure we're looking at the same kinds of programming. I imagine "C" is part of the BVE/ OpenBVE application itself, but the object files were historically defined with simple text files naming the faces of the object, laying out the various co-ordinates of the faces, and either assigning a color or specifying a bitmap to be assigned to a particular object face as a texture.

I imagine any object converted from the output of the application in the above linked video would need fairly involved editing to reduce the number of object faces, but it might be easier than coding up a carbody from scratch (assuming one is familiar enough with object creation.

---PCJ

And thus begins the Commuter F40PH expansion development. All I am doing is basically giving the locomotive a repaint into various commuter liveries and also repainting the coaches to match as well. I hope to have an NJT version done in the next 48 hours or so. Both will be released together later this week.

Had a random burst of productivity and completed the first three, which are now ready for download (NJT, MBTA, MNCR):

Back