If you're into flowers (and I'm not!), check out the International Rose Test Garden: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Rose_Test_Garden

The International Rose Test Garden is a rose garden in Washington Park in Portland, Oregon, United States. There are over 7,000 rose plants of approximately 550 varieties. The roses bloom from April through October with the peak coming in June, depending on the weather. New rose cultivars are continually sent to the garden from many parts of the world and are tested for color, fragrance, disease resistance and other attributes. It is the oldest continuously operating public rose test garden in the United States and exemplifies Portland's nickname, "City of Roses."

I went there last August with my sister, and it was magnificent! Here's my sis with her nose in a rose:

international-rose-test.jpg

Another comment about where to stay. Last time, we stayed at the Residence Inn Marriott Pearl District.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pdxpd-residence-inn-portland-downtown-pearl-district/

Great place, and it's a short walk from Union Station in a good neighborhood. It includes a nice breakfast buffet, and WiFi is available as well. Free if you join their rewards program.

We're staying there again this coming May. I got a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen, living room. Applying the Senior Citizen rate, it's $288 a night for four of us.

Highly recommended.

There are a lot of good hotel choices in Portland. My daughter went to Lewis&Clark for four years and I rode the EB out to visit three or four times a year. I have stayed at several downtown hotels, but really prefer The Monaco over all of them. Great rooms and amenities with a free wine tasting hour with entertainment each evening. They now give me a really low "frequent guest" rate which is way below listed best prices. Heading out again on the EB in early April even though my daughter is long gone.http://www.monaco-portland.com/

I'll have a 9 hr layover in Portland before my connection to Seattle this May, after riding the Empire Builder in coach for three days. Any suggestions on where to get a quick shower within walking or transit distance of the Amtrak station - truck stops maybe? I just know it'll make a world of difference for that day if I can rinse off, lol. Thanks!

I'll have a 9 hr layover in Portland before my connection to Seattle this May, after riding the Empire Builder in coach for three days. Any suggestions on where to get a quick shower within walking or transit distance of the Amtrak station - truck stops maybe? I just know it'll make a world of difference for that day if I can rinse off, lol. Thanks!

No truck stops anywhere nearby (the station is right in downtown Portland). I would do a Google Maps search for nearby health clubs/gyms, or hotels with health club facilities -- they likely offer day passes that would include access to their shower facilities. (You'll probably have to call and ask to make sure; not sure how many would have that info right on their websites.) My guess is that the cost would be about $20.