Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't beat the still free Staten Island Ferry...a great ride across Upper New York Bay.....
It's the poor man's tour of the Statue of Liberty. Great views, even though you can't get right up next to the base of the statue.
Still seems to be an useful transport option to get to Staten Island. Otherwise there's the R to Bay Ridge plus S79 SBS. Or the really expensive express bus.

Can't beat the still free Staten Island Ferry...a great ride across Upper New York Bay.....
It's the poor man's tour of the Statue of Liberty. Great views, even though you can't get right up next to the base of the statue.
Call me poor man, but every time I have been to NYC, or taken friends or family to NYC, I have always done Staten Island Ferry roundtrip instead of actually paying to go to Statue of Liberty. Nice views for free, and on any trip, especially in evenings, there are always a whole bunch of people who are doing the joyride roundtrip who run out the doors at Staten Island to line up on the other side to take the ferry back. Fun times :D

:cool: The Staten Island Ferry is the best travel Deal in North America! Its great to take the Ferry to the Island, have a Hot Dog or Pizza while looking @ Manhattan across the Water on a Sunny Day, then take the ride Back! When you leave the Terminal the Knock Off Designer Salesmen will be waiting to Sell you Fake Designer Purses etc. @ Medium to High Prices! Buyer Beware! :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I especially like to ride the ferry departures that will give a good view of cruise ships sailing away from Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Bayonne.....a nice treat. :cool:

Doubt I'll ever spend a day in New York. But I love ferries, so that'd be high on my list if I did visit.
I like Ferries also! :wub: New Orleans has the Free Algiers Ferry across the Mississippi River and Seattle has Ferries (you Pay to ride these) to various Places including Victoria in Canada and Alaska! I especially like to ride the Bambridge(sp???) Island Ferry to have Lunch on the Island as a Day Trip!

The Bay Area also has lots of Ferries as I'm sure you know! ;)

The ones I've ridden the most are in Puget Sound.
I've ridden those, too! Pretty nice, I would like to try out the Alaska Marine Highway.

Somehow a thread about a crashed 737 turned into a thread about ferries.....oh, AU! ;)
Is there some way to create a "branch" thread that would preserve the good postings when a thread diverges like this - to preserve to very useful history of postings but kind of restart with a new title?

Anyhow, I totally agree that the Staten Island ferry is a super good deal. And the Washington State Ferries are super cool. New Orleans, sorry not been there yet.

It may be a bit more than a "ferry" but anyone go from England to Ireland by sea?
:cool: Great idea! Ive gone in the opposite direction to France on a Ferry, I would like to ride the Chunnell Train if I ever go back to England! Right now Regional Flights in Europe are really cheap, less than Ferries and Trains, so I'm wondering if eventually the Passenger Ferries will end up going away?? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucket list item for me is to take the Cape May-Lewes ferry from Lewes, leaving my car in Lewes, explore Cape May then back to Lewes.

On my bucket list is the ferry from Dana Point, CA to Santa Catalina Island, maybe next year as I don't think they will be doing it in November and if they are, maybe I will take it then.

North Carolina has the second largest state-owned ferry system in the country. 24 vessels for the 7 regular routes. Longest one-way run is 2.5 hours.

We went to Prince Edward Island a couple of weeks ago. Going over, we were on the Confederation and met the Holiday Island mid-way across.

IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

Coming back, we were on the Holiday Island.......meeting the Confederation......with a nice sunset!

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG

We went to Prince Edward Island a couple of weeks ago. Going over, we were on the Confederation and met the Holiday Island mid-way across.
IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

Coming back, we were on the Holiday Island.......meeting the Confederation......with a nice sunset!

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG
Never been on that boat, but my family all went out to P.E.I. Anne of GG fans.

It may be a bit more than a "ferry" but anyone go from England to Ireland by sea?
:cool: Great idea! Ive gone in the opposite direction to France on a Ferry, I would like to ride the Chunnell Train if I ever go back to England! Right now Regional Flights in Europe are really cheap, less than Ferries and Trains, so I'm wondering if eventually the Passenger Ferries will end up going away?? :(
Why are they so cheap? Do they use an RJ or a real narrowbody? I guess the phenomenon of trains mores expensive than planes has been teleported to Europe as well. Don't understand about the ferries, I'm sure those boats are very efficient.

North Carolina has the second largest state-owned ferry system in the country. 24 vessels for the 7 regular routes. Longest one-way run is 2.5 hours.
That's sure a lot! Do they traverse rivers, bays, or what? I never realized NC had so much.

On my bucket list is the ferry from Dana Point, CA to Santa Catalina Island, maybe next year as I don't think they will be doing it in November and if they are, maybe I will take it then.
Maybe I'll try that out the next time I get to LA.

Back