Day trip to DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smee

Train Attendant
I have a day trip coming up from NYC to DC taking the 153 and 158 with a reserved coach seat. I've never been to Union station in DC and will be catching the Metro to the ballpark for a game. I have about 2 hrs. scheduled between arrival and game time and I figure about 2 hrs on the other end also. I do have a few questions about this trip and I hope you kind people can answer them for me.

I assume a reserved coach seat is like a regular commuter type seat. Am I correct?

How far is it from the Amtrak gates to the Metro entrances?

Any suggestions on places to grab something to eat before heading back to NY, and where I can get some munchies/drinks for the ride home?

I can't think of any other's right now. I will be traveling light since I'm just going down for the ballgame and at the same time doing a little scouting for future trips.

If you're lucky you'll enter the station via the doors on the right which is where the hallway is to the Metro station. If not, go in and walk past the gates back to the other side (look for the Men's room).

There's a nice food court downstairs at the station and there are lots of food places on the same level as the gates.

I have a day trip coming up from NYC to DC taking the 153 and 158 with a reserved coach seat. I've never been to Union station in DC and will be catching the Metro to the ballpark for a game. I have about 2 hrs. scheduled between arrival and game time and I figure about 2 hrs on the other end also. I do have a few questions about this trip and I hope you kind people can answer them for me.
I assume a reserved coach seat is like a regular commuter type seat. Am I correct?

How far is it from the Amtrak gates to the Metro entrances?

Any suggestions on places to grab something to eat before heading back to NY, and where I can get some munchies/drinks for the ride home?
The coach seats on Amtrak are far more comfortable than seats on the typical commuter train. The reserved coach seat means that there will be a seat for you, but Amtrak does not make or control seat assignments on the NEC. #153 Regional terminates at WAS, so it should pull into the stub tracks on the upper level western side of the station. The Metro station entrances will be to your right as you walk through the gate into the station. The northern Metro station entrance is not far from the gates. Although you should check out the front hall of Union Station in DC. There are many places to buy food at Union Station in DC. You can also buy food on the train in the cafe car.

About the DC Metro, you should check during the week before to see if your route to the Nats ballpark will be affected by weekend track work service disruptions. For example, on the weekend of September 7-8, Union Station Metro station will be closed. Metro provides buses at the closed stations to take people to the next open station and have gotten reasonably proficient at it. If they are single tracking a portion of the Red or Green Line the day you visit, you have to allow extra time to get to and from the ballpark.

If you're lucky you'll enter the station via the doors on the right which is where the hallway is to the Metro station. If not, go in and walk past the gates back to the other side (look for the Men's room).
There's a nice food court downstairs at the station and there are lots of food places on the same level as the gates.
That would be Gate A. As soon as you enter the doors look to your right, that is a walkway to the METRO. If you miss that just ask someone.

As other have said there are a lot of food options and shops in Union Station. Union station appears to be very easy to navigate. Some stations like NYP and CHI, I had trouble finding where I wanted to go.

As other have said there are a lot of food options and shops in Union Station. Union station appears to be very easy to navigate. Some stations like NYP and CHI, I had trouble finding where I wanted to go.
Being from NYC, I basically grew up in NYP and have seen it change over the years and know it like the back of my hand.

The easiest way to get to Nationals Park by Metro:

• Exit your train and walk down the platform into the concourse.
  • Turn right onto the first concourse and walk past Sbarro.
  • At the end of this concourse (T junction), turn right and walk through the sliding doors into the Metro's upper level.
  • Turn left and descend the escalator. Buy a farecard on the right side of the bottom of the escalator. BUY ENOUGH FOR A ROUNDTRIP.
  • Go through the faregates.
  • Descend to platform level.
  • IMPORTANT: Walk at least 150 feet down the platform. Half of Red Line trains are 6-cars long during rush hour. Only 8-car trains take up the full platform. Ideally, you want to be in the 7th car, but if there are only 6 cars, be in the 6th car.
  • You want a Red Line train going to either Grosvenor (pronounced "groves-nor") or Shady Grove. Those trains will be on the right side when you get off the escalator.
  • Ride 2 stops. Exit at Gallery Place/Chinatown (doors on the right side).
  • When getting off at Gallery Place, if you're in the 7th or 8th car, walk straight ahead and find a down escalator or staircase. If you're in the 6th car, step off, turn to the right and then turn left into the perpindicular concourse. Find a staircase or escalator going down.
  • The Green/Yellow Lines are down one level from the Red Line.
  • You want a Green Line train going toward Branch Avenue.
  • Navy Yard/Ballpark is 4 stops away. Doors will open on the left.
  • When getting off, take the exit to your left (Half Street/Ballpark). You don't want New Jersey Avenue/USDOT.
  • After going through the faregates, turn left on Half Street. The ballpark is a block away.
Return Trip:

• Walk back to Navy Yard station. The Half Street entrance is entrance only following Nats games. Make sure you've already bought your return ticket to save time.
  • Descend to the platform.
  • Board a Green Line train for Mount Vernon Square or Greenbelt.
  • Go 4 stops to Gallery Place/Chinatown.
  • Go up one level. IMPORTANT: Follow signs for trains to Glenmont. If you find yourself on the Shady Grove platform, go up to the mezzanine and walk across to the other side. The Glenmont platform access will be toward the rear of the northbound Green Line train. (Anything back of car 4).
  • Board a Red Line train going to Silver Spring or Glenmont. Ideally, you'll be near the front of the train.
  • Go 2 stops. Exit at Union Station.
  • When exiting the train, turn to the right and ascend the escalators at the north end of the platform.
  • Go through the faregates.
  • Ascend the escalator.
  • Turn right and enter the Union Station concourse.
  • Turn left at the first junction.
  • Boarding gates will be on the left, starting with "A" closest to Metro and increasing to "L" next to McDonalds.
Alternate Option:

The DC Circulator operates a route connecting Union Station with Navy Yard. It's direct and requires no transfer.

• Exit your train. Walk down the platform to the station.
  • Walk straight through the terminal. You'll cross 3 concourses: The Train Concourse, the Ticketing Concourse, and the Great Hall.
  • Exit the front side of the station. Turn right and walk down the colonnade in front of the station.
  • At the western end of the station, you'll be at the corner of First and Massachusetts NE.
  • Cross both First and Mass. Walk a short distance west (right) on Massachusetts until you find the Circulator stop opposite the Postal Museum. It should be right at the corner where you crossed. If you get to North Capitol Street, you've gone too far.
  • Board a Circulator bus signed NAVY YARD METRO.
  • Ride to the stop at Navy Yard Metro (M Street @ New Jersey Avenue).
  • Walk 2 blocks west on M to Half Street. Turn left. The ballpark is 1 block ahead.

Thank you so much for the step by step directions. I'll have to put this on my phone so I can blend in with everyone else who is texting while walking. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back