Bikes on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Viewliner baggage cars will be setup to allow for bikes. So this remains a problem for only another two years or so. It also means that Amtrak won't spend money trying to retrofit the old baggage cars, most of which will be retired as the new bags start running.

I think that the NC DOT already offers this on their North Carolina trains between Charlotte and Raleigh, which are operated under the Amtrak network (The Piedmont Route).

In the Midwest on downstate Illinois trains and the Missouri River Runner you can bring an unboxed bike for a $10 fee but there isn't a real rack for it. On my one trip I bungie corded it to the side of the luggage rack, the crew didn't have any better suggestions.

As someone who lives on the East Coast (After I got to Chicago and headed home a few days later I had to box up my bike) who was just in California I'm envious of how all of Amtrak California allows bikes to be brought on board.

I can think of a number of trips I would make if Amtrak in the Northeast allowed easy roll-up unboxed bike service. The Downeaster is the only Route that does.

Amtrak is apparently testing a solution on some northeast trains to allow the transport of bikes. I'm going to be participating in a test next week, bringing a bike on board the Vermonter. If I get time, I'll post an update to let everyone know how it worked.

Amtrak is apparently testing a solution on some northeast trains to allow the transport of bikes. I'm going to be participating in a test next week, bringing a bike on board the Vermonter. If I get time, I'll post an update to let everyone know how it worked.
You wouldn't have a recent link with the latest information. I Googled Vermonter Bicycles and about all I came up with was your AU post

Vermonter to accept bikes starting this summer

this summer being 2012.

In the Midwest on downstate Illinois trains and the Missouri River Runner you can bring an unboxed bike for a $10 fee but there isn't a real rack for it. On my one trip I bungie corded it to the side of the luggage rack, the crew didn't have any better suggestions.
Is this a written policy? The only thing I can find in writing is Amtrak's draconian mandate to purchase expensive boxes and dismantle the bike. This year I have seen a couple intact, unboxed bikes on Lincoln Service trains, but I've been afraid to try it myself, lest the crew on my return trip decide not to be lenient and leave me without a ride.

When you book a ticket on the Linclon Service on line (or another route that allows bikes paid or unpaid but requires reservations) there will be an Add Bike button (doesn't seem to appear in the iPhone app) and if you check it the $10 fee is added to your reservation. I haven't done it post-eTickets. Before eTickets you got two tickets, one for you person, one for your bike. I got a photo of my bike with its ticket in its handle bars waiting to board. The first time I did it I even earned double AGR points! My bike ticket posted seperately this was clearly a glitch and didn't happen the next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do remember riding on the lower level of a San Joaquin between Bakersfield and Stockton where there were hangers for bikes on the side of the car opposite the doors. I also remember the bathroom doors were curved sliding doors which automaticly closed.

I didn't see any bikes that day and I don't know if there would be a charge to bring on the bike.

I assume there would be no problem with a folding bike, in a luggage-like bag, checked between stations that offer baggage service?

I assume there would be no problem with a folding bike, in a luggage-like bag, checked between stations that offer baggage service?
When I first read your post, I interpreted "luggage-like bag" to mean a folding bike bag. I've never actually seen one, but I get the impression that they are soft, and wonder whether they could be checked.

But if you mean regular luggage, you won't have a problem checking it as long as it satisfies the size and weight restrictions. If we are going to be parking ourselves at a destination, we pack them in "airline legal" suitcases and check them if possible or bring them on board if not. In the picture below we had just arrived at our motel after biking the 1 mile from the station in Deland, FL. The agent came up with the huge rubber band used to lash the suitcase to the rear rack. This doesn't really work for touring unless you return from the same station and the agent is willing to stash the suitcases.

arrive.jpg

Also, you won't have a problem carrying a naked folding bike on board. The advantage of no bag is you can ride to the station with luggage in paniers. Then fold the bike except don't retract the seat. Use the seat as a handle to roll the bike with paniers hooked onto it out onto the platform to the car door. Then retract the seat, climb aboard. When you arrive, you reverse the process and ride off.

I just want to clarify: I can take a folding bike on board, no case or bag, and store it in the luggage racks, for example on the lower level of a superliner, and that is cool with all involved?

I just want to clarify: I can take a folding bike on board, no case or bag, and store it in the luggage racks, for example on the lower level of a superliner, and that is cool with all involved?
Yes. If the luggage rack is full, ask the attendant to put it in the ski locker.

I recently found that the Talgo coach luggage racks at the end of the car are very small. Only one of the shelves was tall enough to handle the bike. A European thing I guess. Next time, I'll just buy a ticket and put it in the regular bike rack.

I'm not sure about a viewliner. The two times I traveled in one with a folder, I was able to sneak it into the Amfleet II coach rack.

Horizons, the Illinois variety anyway, have plenty of luggage space.

As long as the subject is Bikes on Amtrak, I'll note that the near taboo :) subject has come out of the closet. An article in a recent issue of Trains dealt extensively with the subject and its problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back