Help EB or WB CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg1956a

Train Attendant
I'm taking my trip Aug 17.I would like to know if the EB CZ is better for scenery.My tentative schedule is Phil to Wash to Chicago then I was going to take the SWC to LA and then COAST STARLIGHT to Emeryville and then take CZ BACK home.Reading so much info on trip is driving me crazy Could use some help from people who had taken this trip before.

Thanks again

Greg

It does take a lot of research to get it right. I am sure the people here can advise you. I have been on SWC and CZ form Chicago to the end of Colorado/ NM . To me, the CZ is a prettier ride. But I was in coach this time on the SWC and it may have influenced my recollection. I would like to take the same trip you are taking and will follow this conversation. Good Luck! be sure you have the zone map so you know where they end and star for points usage,

Westbound is probably better. It does the climb up the Front Range after leaving Denver in the morning, so even if the train is significantly late that highlight is still in daylight. Eastbound if it is late, it will be in darkness, and during the winter months it is dark anyway.

I agree that the CZ westbound is more scenic - although eastbound is beautiful also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back