Tell Me About the Picture in Your Avatar-----

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notelvis

Conductor
One of the things I enjoy about AU is seeing the various pictures that many members have as their avatar.

My apologies if I'm retracing old ground but I thought I'd start a thread encouraging people to describe or otherwise explain their avatar photo.

I'll start - mine is a photo that I took on an October afternoon in, if I recall, 1998. This is a special excursion train utilizing an Amtrak Superliner consist en route from Asheville, NC to Salisbury, NC. The train here is descending the famous 'Loops' on Old Fort Mountain (between Ridgecrest and Old Fort) near Andrews Geyser. It's one of my favorite photo locations although it involves going a few hundred yards up a private drive to reach it.

While this route does see special trains every year or so, there has not been any regularly scheduled passenger service here since Southern Railway discontinued trains #3 & #4, the last remnant of the 'Asheville Special' in August 1975.

Last edited by a moderator:
My picture was taken on Christmas Eve. I was petting my parents' chihuahua, Honey. She's a really sweet dog. My brother took the picture without my knowledge, and I absolutely love it because of the expression on my face. You can see how much I love that dog. :)

Mine is a Photoshop enhanced picture I took of my home RR from the 50's.
At Louisville Union Station perhaps?
:)

Here is the original

i-jmT3xV8-L.jpg

I think that, especially on this forum, my avatar is self-explanatory, unliess you have just arrived from another planet.

I was one of those milliions of young boys and some girls that drooled over the new edition of the Lionel Trains catalogue when it came out.

Mine was taken on May 28, 2012 at sunrise from the "railfan window" of train 27 near Pasco, WA. I like the scenery, and the fact that the window is a bit dirty. That's Amtrak for you!
36626_3556724071630_1622673207_n.jpg

Mine is of BWI. I flew into BWI then took the train home to WIL. I love planes too, and was happy to see that the flight path for arrivals was over the train station (saw the train station from the plane). And it was really neat how the planes appeared to be aiming for the parking garage (sorry if that upsets people due to 9/11).

Mine is a photo I took on one of our earlier trips on the Crescent. It's a photo of the front of the Anniston, AL, Amtrak station. It still says "Southern Railway" (love it!) and is one of those cool old stations. It's our preferred departure point although Atlanta is closer.

Edit to add: Atlanta's is another of those cool old stations, and not much bigger than Anniston's.

Thanks to Mr.FSS for help with the Avatar. :hi: :)

Mine is a photo of an Acela Express set heading North to New York and Boston at Wilmington, DE when the 40th Anniversary Train was there. Some of us had a little AU Mini Gathering! Piotr got on the train I was getting off, we briefly said hello. Alan, Jis, Betty (AmtrakBlue), and of course yours truly were in attendance.

Mine is a photo of an Acela Express set heading North to New York and Boston at Wilmington, DE when the 40th Anniversary Train was there. Some of us had a little AU Mini Gathering! Piotr got on the train I was getting off, we briefly said hello. Alan, Jis, Betty (AmtrakBlue), and of course yours truly were in attendance.
Thought that pic looked familiar. :D

Mine is of BWI. I flew into BWI then took the train home to WIL. I love planes too, and was happy to see that the flight path for arrivals was over the train station (saw the train station from the plane). And it was really neat how the planes appeared to be aiming for the parking garage (sorry if that upsets people due to 9/11).
I flew out of BWI just this past Monday........ after taking the Silver Meteor to Baltimore and riding a NEC Regional train from BAL to BWI....... for the AGR points of course!

When I was in grad school at the University of Maryland I could sometimes shake loose for an afternoon of railfanning. One 'circle trip' I liked was riding the MARC Commuter train to Camden Yards, light rail to Baltimore Penn Station, MARC down to BWI where I really liked that pedestrian bridge over the tracks, then MARC down to Washington and Metro back to College Park as by this time of day the MARC Camden Line trains would be done for the night.

This was pre-9/11 and pre-AGR so I was riding on the cheap and not harassed by anyone for just watching trains!

I like your photo........ and Mr.FSS is a tremendous resource with things photographic. I really like that original photo of the L&N E in Louisville! That was one attractive paint scheme.

Back