Sign in to follow this  
none

Article about new train Boston-Cape Cod

The Cape Flyer is one of those fun "hybrid" services...not quite a commuter train, not quite a longer-distance train (such as a Regional). On longer commuter runs, there's certainly an argument to have some sort of OBS provision.

The Cape Flyer is one of those fun "hybrid" services...not quite a commuter train, not quite a longer-distance train (such as a Regional). On longer commuter runs, there's certainly an argument to have some sort of OBS provision.

An argument, yes. But the Cape Flyer isn't any longer than some existing commuter runs such as MARC's Brunswick Line, the ACE, the South Shore Line, and some of the more far-flung branches of Metro-North and LIRR. (Not to mention Amtrak's Keystone trains). None of those have OBS, either, IINM.

Granted, a much higher percentage of Cape Flyer passengers will be traveling the entire run than on any of the aforementioned lines, and as such would be more of a "captive audience" for OBS.

You are correct in that assessment, though a fair reply is that in the case of the MTA lines, I wonder how much traffic is actually end-to-end (say, NHV-NYG or Montauk-Jamaica). Also, there is technically the Cannonball, though I don't know if some sort of OBS persists in the off-season. For reference, I believe the Cannonball is presently sold out for six evenings in July and August as of right now.

Very high proportion is Hamptons to Jamaica on the expresses. Many are non stop from Speonk or Patchogue to Jamaica. One of my favorite runs in the NJ area as a matter of fact.

BTW I will be on the Cape Cod train coming Saturday and will report what's on this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by jis

An old thread, but interesting...thanks for posting. Now only if Amtrak's Cape Codder could return... :)