Oakland Sport Arenas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am traveling to Oakland to catch a Red Sox/Athletics game and will be coming down from Seattle on the CS. I was wondering what the recommendations are for hotels within walking distance of the Colliseum station or with shuttles to and from the station.

june that part of oakland is the hood

i would not recamend u try geting a hotel near there

go down town oakland a bart subway ride to the colliseum

is 10 minites away, u would be safer downtown, then the hood

oakland airport is near by and any hotel chain close

to oakland airport could get u to the colliseum

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also stay in San Francisco (or anywhere else in the Bay Area near BART) and take BART across the bay to/from the Oakland Coliseum station. Lots to do there, Amtrak stops at a variety of Thruway bus stops in the city, and it is quite easy to get around without a car. Though if you're only staying one night, that may be overkill - in which case the downtown Oakland suggestion may make more sense...

You could also stay in San Francisco (or anywhere else in the Bay Area near BART) and take BART across the bay to/from the Oakland Coliseum station. Lots to do there, Amtrak stops at a variety of Thruway bus stops in the city, and it is quite easy to get around without a car. Though if you're only staying one night, that may be overkill - in which case the downtown Oakland suggestion may make more sense...
I am leaving again the next morning on the California Zephyr, not knowing the area, but would there be a way to get to the ballpark from Emeryville if I stayed at the Hyatt?

june there is a bart station near emeryville,

take a cab to berkeley bart, get to the colliseum 'bart station

enjoy the game then bart back to berkeley then cab back to your hotel

Like others have said the area around the Coliseum isn't the greatest and I too would advise against staying in the area. Downtown Oakland or Jack London Square would be a better bet. If you're looking at Emeryville you could either take a cab to the MacArthur BART or if it's a day game take the Emery-Go-Round to MacArthur BART and then take BART to the Oakland Coliseum (Fremont Line).

Don't stay at any of the lodging on that side of the freeway without a car. It's just not worth it walking in the neighborhood at night. I say that as someone who walked from BART to Amtrak this morning from the Coliseum station. I wouldn't worry about BART, the station, or using the ramp before or after an event. It's sketchy during the day and worse at night.

The hotels on the other side of the freeway aren't bad at all, but they're not convenient to the Coliseum without a car. Those are really airport hotels.

Emeryville would be fine, although you might need a transfer from BART to Emery-Go-Round. There are also a couple of hotels in downtown Berkeley.

If anything, the Oakland Airport Hilton would meet all your requirements. They have a complimentary 24-hour shuttle to/from the Airport and/or BART. I checked their rates for July 12-14 (those are the dates?) and it's $135/night advanced purchase (fully prepaid and non-refundable) or $143/night AAA rate.

There are other options. There's the Hampton Inn in Alameda. They say they have a free on-demand shuttle, but it's going to be tough trying to pick you up from a baseball game. Your best bet might be to walk to BART after the game and wait for pickup there.

Hi guys, I might be going on a short trip to Oakland later this October. I'm trying to look for a cheap and comfortable hotel but I don't care if it's far from Downtown. Suggestions on attractions would be welcome as well. I hear that Oakland is a culturally vibrant city with good weather in October and reasonably priced hotels, food, attractions, etc., so I thought it's be great for a short trip this month.

I wouldn't think of Oakland as culturally vibrant especially not compared to Berkeley or to San Francisco. The other issue is that outside of certain pocket areas Oakland isn't the world's safest city. Probably better to center your stay within Oakland to Downtown, Jack London Square or the Rockridge area. YMMV.

Maybe so, but I've been the San Francisco loads of time already and I will have to go there loads of times in the future. Never actually explored Oakland, so I though I might as well check it out. I'm not really afraid of dangerous areas unless its as bad as South Los Angeles, I grew up in West Philadelphia so I can take anywhere like that or better.

Is Oakland really that dangerous? Anybody have stuff to see and do in Oakland? Not really a baseball fan. I found the Days Hotels Oakland Airport for a reasonable price, think I should go for that?

Oakland has some neat stuff (in the Day Time ;) !) to see! Berkeley has the U of C Campus, lots of Nice Buildings and Beautiful Young Co-eds! The Lake Downtown (Lake Merritt sp?)is nice! Jack London Square(the Station is there and there are Clubs/Resturants, etc., mostly for Tourists, the Ferry to San Francisco is also there, as is Jack Londons Old Cabin!) It also has Street Running for the Trains through the Square ! You can also ride Cal Trains to Sacramento (Cal Rail Museum), Davis (nice little College Town) and down the Peninsula to San Jose! BART runs to San Francisco from here as well as from Emeryville! (North Oakland basically!)

As to your Hotel, I havent stayed there but the Hotels in the Airport Area are OK per Friends and family that live in the Bay Area, Id say only stay by Javk London Square (next to the water)or Emeryville if not by the Airprot, Downtown is sort of dseserted @ Night even though some nice Hotels are there!

As to the Danger Level, its on a Par with South Central LA,Chicago, WAS DC., Philly and Detroit but Only, as been said, in Certain Parts and Mostly @ Night! Oakland is basically Broke and Laid off Police Officers when it has one of the highest Crime/Murder/Drug Rates in the Nation! Did I mention about Walking around @ Night??? Stick to the Main Lighted Areas, along the Bay and Jack London Square and use Public Transportation and you'll be OK! ;) And youre not misssing much by not going to Oakland Coliseum, it's a Dump!!!! :excl: :excl: :excl:

Nice info, Jim! Much apprieciete it. I'm mostly considering stuff that's actually in Oakland, but Hayward works too if I'm going to stay by the airport, which is somewhat close to Hayward. I won't be riding back towards Sacramento since that's the direction I'm coming from. San Jose is probably a bit too far. I'll take my precautions with danger but I'm pretty sure that won't prohibit me from doing anything interesting.

Do you think I should stay 1 night or 2 nights?

Nice info, Jim! Much apprieciete it. I'm mostly considering stuff that's actually in Oakland, but Hayward works too if I'm going to stay by the airport, which is somewhat close to Hayward. I won't be riding back towards Sacramento since that's the direction I'm coming from. San Jose is probably a bit too far. I'll take my precautions with danger but I'm pretty sure that won't prohibit me from doing anything interesting.

Depends on when you Arrive and have to Leave! Oakland/Emeryville/Berkely/Haywood, as you know, is BIG, so Id say 2 Nights to do it Right!

Im Serious about Extra Care @ NIGHT, Oakland has some Real Problems Away from the Bay!!! :help:

Depends on when you Arrive and have to Leave! Oakland/Emeryville/Berkely/Haywood, as you know, is BIG, so Id say 2 Nights to do it Right!

Im Serious about Extra Care @ NIGHT, Oakland has some Real Problems Away from the Bay!!! :help:
I arrive at noon and I can leave at 4:20 pm. I'm travelling by Greyhound, so no check-in, security, or any of those time-wasters! Could take Amtrak but too expensive and I would waste that first night's stay because the train arrives too late.. It seems that Oakland is not that complicated, so I'm definately going to do both Lake Merrit and Jack London Square in the first day. I'm also finding things on TripAdvisor and LonelyPlanet, looks like International Boulevard is good for a stoll.

"looks like International Boulevard is good for a stoll."

Whoever gave you that idea? I wouldn't leave my car unattended there for 30 seconds. And I wouldn't take a walk there without armed bodyguards... and a bullet-proof vest.

During the day Fruitvale can be interesting, and the area around the BART station is urban but not any worse than the Mission District, and you know there are paper millionaires that live in the MIssion who commute to work in Silicon Valley.

Back