What is the "Chef's Marketplace Special" on the CZ lunch m

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSF

Train Attendant
I will be travelling on the CZ this week with my partnerfrom EMY to RNO. Typically, what is the "Chef's Marketplace Special" on the lunch menu? Is it a sandwich or some other type of meal?

In late December it was pasta with meatballs. The meatballs were wonderful.

I thought lamb shanks usually showed up for dinner? On the Silvers, pardon my language, the special has tended to be either fried chicken and mashed potatoes (not bad) or a damn good meatloaf (probably my #2 dish in terms of preferences).

In late December it was pasta with meatballs. The meatballs were wonderful.
This is what its been all February. Penne pasta with meat balls. But the servers will tell you it's spaghetti and meatballs. I remember correcting them several times on it and asking why they call it that. Just because it has meatballs and tomato sauce on it. (Sorry, I'm very anal when it comes to food as I'm a chef.)

I had the special (penne pasta w/ meatballs) for lunch dropping down of Donnor Pass on Feb 3. Meatballs were pretty good but the pasta was a bit bland. Might have been better if I had had it the first day out until waiting until the last meal of the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Penne Pasta with Meatballs has been the special for lunch since November... or at least that is the first time I asked and had it. It is generally pretty good but I have had cold meatballs as well due to what the LSA described as a "cooking technical difficulties." My friend and I were fine eating it. The person across threw it off the table and asked for something that was actually food. They brought him up an Angus burger which he begrudgingly ate.

The name that suggests one is being served something special, something that is the chef's seasonal offering, brought fresh from the market place, is rather let down by cold meatballs and pasta...

Probably better than the soggy microwaved hot dogs though. Rock on fine Amtrak dinning!

Ed :cool:

Sorry to hear your meatballs were cold. :giggle:

The worst I got was an ice frozen cheesecake that I took back to my room to let thaw out and eat as an evening snack.

Well at least it is supposed to be served somewhat cold! Overall to be honest the food was as expected for me. Only an item or two that were over the top and one or two that weren't up to par with the usual preparation. But I do like the Penne and Meatballs :)

The name that suggests one is being served something special, something that is the chef's seasonal offering, brought fresh from the market place, is rather let down by cold meatballs and pasta...Probably better than the soggy microwaved hot dogs though. Rock on fine Amtrak dinning!

hey! i like the hot dogs! :p

The name that suggests one is being served something special, something that is the chef's seasonal offering, brought fresh from the market place, is rather let down by cold meatballs and pasta...Probably better than the soggy microwaved hot dogs though. Rock on fine Amtrak dinning!

I had the same thought when I read this the first time, especially since I've been wondering about the "Chef's Special" on other routes too. It's not really a "Chef's Special", in the sense that there's a chef somewhere going to an actual market and picking out the best available fresh ingredients. Not like those stories you hear about trains picking up fresh fish along their routes...

Anyway, it may not be a "Chef's Special", but clearly it does rotate, last a short time, and is dependent (as previous posters have said) on "what's available." So, it probably depends more on what's available nationally, through food service suppliers, rather than a fresh local market. In the interests of fair labeling, they should probably call it "Nation-wide, Surplus-Purchase, Corporately-Run Food Service Special", but that doesn't sound as catchy.

So, it kind of is a Chef's Special, just on a much larger scale.

Well at least it is supposed to be served somewhat cold! Overall to be honest the food was as expected for me. Only an item or two that were over the top and one or two that weren't up to par with the usual preparation. But I do like the Penne and Meatballs :)
I couldn't put my fork through it and barely could cut it with their steak knifes. They could have just said they were out and to pick another dessert.

guinness-brilliant.jpg

[SIZE=14.399999618530273px] [/SIZE] (Sorry, I'm very anal when it comes to food as I'm a chef.)
Not what someone who eats your cooking wants to hear, probably... just sayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't put my fork through it and barely could cut it with their steak knifes. They could have just said they were out and to pick another dessert.
I had that happen with my Brownie Slice. Had plastics to eat it... didn't quite work out too well as the fork broke followed by the knife! Tried a metal knife after that and it barely did the job too. In turn the Brownie Slice was also the best dessert I had too... one trip on the CZ when I ordered to eat in my room the brownie came warmed up and wrapped in foil... it melted in your mouth and was so soft and amazing!

I had that happen with my Brownie Slice. Had plastics to eat it... didn't quite work out too well as the fork broke followed by the knife! Tried a metal knife after that and it barely did the job too. In turn the Brownie Slice was also the best dessert I had too... one trip on the CZ when I ordered to eat in my room the brownie came warmed up and wrapped in foil... it melted in your mouth and was so soft and amazing!
I will completely agree. If the brownie does not arrive warm and soft, then asking for it to be warmed up is a must. And to then really push it over the top, have it ala-mode with some vanilla ice cream. Actually, you can order any desert on Amtrak ala-mode without additional cost (both in sleeper or in coach.) :D

I will completely agree. If the brownie does not arrive warm and soft, then asking for it to be warmed up is a must. And to then really push it over the top, have it ala-mode with some vanilla ice cream. Actually, you can order any desert on Amtrak ala-mode without additional cost (both in sleeper or in coach.) :D

Oooh, can you order anything a la mode? Meatloaf and potatoes a la mode, lasagna a la mode...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back