Amtrak Suspending Service East of NYC Friday, 2/8/13

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PRR 60

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
From Amtrak, 2/7/13 4:40pm EST:

APPROACHING WINTER STORM TO IMPACT AMTRAK OPERATIONS IN NEW YORK AND NEW ENGLAND STARTING FRIDAY FEBRUARY 8
February 7, 2013

4:40pm ET

In preparation for the winter storm expected to affect the Northeast this weekend, Amtrak is adjusting some service beginning Friday, February 8. Due to the large amount of snowfall and high winds forecast to impact the region starting tomorrow, Amtrak is reducing service on its Acela Express and Northeast Regional routes between New York and Boston.

Southbound service out of Boston South Station will be suspended following the departures of Northeast Regional train # 137 at 1:40pm and Acela Express train # 2167 at 1:15pm.

Northbound service out of New York's Penn Station will be suspended following the departures of Northeast Regional train # 86 at 12:30pm and Acela Express train # 2160 at 1:03pm.

In addition:

- Springfield Shuttle service (Springfield, MA - New Haven, CT) will be suspended following the departure of train # 493 at 10:30am from Springfield.

- Vermonter service is also canceled in each direction between Springfield, MA & St. Albans, VT.

- Downeaster service is suspended following the southbound departure of train # 682 from Brunswick, ME at 7:05am. The last northbound departure from Boston North Station will be train # 683, scheduled to depart at 1:00pm.

- Train # 448 (connecting service between Albany & Boston to the Lakeshore Limited) is canceled.

Northeast Corridor service south of New York as well as Empire and Keystone services are not affected at this time.

Determinations about service for Saturday, February 9 will be made Friday.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some tickets booked online that have not yet been printed can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

New Jersey Transit, Long Island & Metro North have all announced "Early Departure" trains beginning at noon

today plus they are offering "Cross Honoring" tickets with other mass transit services. Looks like we will really

get a blizzard. I have heard that Rhode Island is likely be to blown away after being completely covered by snow!!

There goes the Penthouse!

Meanwhile I am stuck in sunny and pleasant Tel Aviv waiting for the weather to clear in Newark. I am told earliest I will get back is late Saturday afternoon. Fortunately I hold a boarding card for a confirmed seat on the first protect flight to Newark from here on Saturday! And we know for sure that the equipment for that flight is already en route arriving here around 5pm today.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I am "suffering" through temperatures in the 70's today, I wish all my friends in the northeast and New England a safe weekend.

It just started snowing up here! They are still predicting we will receive 2 feet of snow! :help:

Its clear and 33F in STL and shortly I shall take the doggy out for a walk :p I hope that all my wimpy friends in the NorthEast are, and cotinue to be safe warm and well :hi:

UPDATE: APPROACHING WINTER STORM TO IMPACT AMTRAK OPERATIONS

by Amtrak on Friday, February 8, 2013 at 9:30am ET·
Service between New York and Boston canceled Friday afternoon
Friday, Feb. 8, 2013 9:15 a.m. ET

In preparation for the winter storm expected to affect the Northeast, Amtrak has reduced service on its Acela Express and Northeast Regional routes between New York and Boston starting on Friday, Feb. 8.

Southbound service out of Boston South Station will be suspended following the departures of Northeast Regional Train 137 at 1:40 p.m. and Acela Express Train 2167 at 1:15 p.m.

Northbound service out of New York's Penn Station will be suspended following the departures of Northeast Regional Train 86 at 12:30 p.m. and Acela Express Train 2160 at 1:03 p.m.

In addition:
- Springfield Shuttle service (Springfield, Mass. - New Haven, Conn.) will be suspended following the departure of Train 493 at 10:30 a.m. from Springfield.
- Vermonter service is also canceled in each direction between Springfield, Mass. & St. Albans, Vt.
- Downeaster service is suspended following the southbound departure of Train 682 from Brunswick, Maine, at 7:05 a.m. The last northbound departure from Boston North Station will be Train 683, scheduled to depart at 1:00 p.m.
- Lake Shore Limited Train 448 (connecting service between Albany & Boston to the Lakeshore Limited) is canceled.

Northeast Corridor service south of New York as well as Empire and Keystone services are not affected at this time.

Amtrak crews are closely monitoring the storm to prepare and restore service as quickly as possible.

An update on service for Saturday, Feb. 8, will be issued this afternoon.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some reservations booked online can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

Sorry to hear, folks. I am hoping we get at least one more snowstorm in Flagstaff. However, at the moment, I am typing on a balcony overlooking a jungle canyon in Costa Rica, not reachable by Amtrak! Be safe.

Stay safe, those of you in the Northeast! And hope your weather prognosticators are as accurate as ours: the weekend before last and into last week we were supposed to get a total of 17 inches of snow. They overestimated it by about 16 1/2 inches. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
There goes the Penthouse!
Meanwhile I am stuck in sunny and pleasant Tel Aviv waiting for the weather to clear in Newark. I am told earliest I will get back is late Saturday afternoon. Fortunately I hold a boarding card for a confirmed seat on the first protect flight to Newark from here on Saturday! And we know for sure that the equipment for that flight is already en route arriving here around 5pm today.
Are you certain your airplane is not a 787 Dreamliner??

Sorry to hear, folks. I am hoping we get at least one more snowstorm in Flagstaff. However, at the moment, I am typing on a balcony overlooking a jungle canyon in Costa Rica, not reachable by Amtrak! Be safe.
Enjoy Costa Rica!! The trains are running in Convent and Chatham!!

While I am "suffering" through temperatures in the 70's today, I wish all my friends in the northeast and New England a safe weekend.
Thanks. I am equipped with snow boots, earmuff and a snow shovel - ready for the Blizzard of 2013!!

To all you AUers under the clouds, stay warm and safe. And is that Penny that I see peeking out at the bottom?

xlarge.jpg

It just started snowing up here! They are still predicting we will receive 2 feet of snow! :help:
Ladies and Gentlemen, start your snowblowers! :p

We are only getting rain down here in the Southlands.
Hope Dave has one of those attached to his Penthouse.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/holtcjane/_zps1880e06c.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/holtcjane/_zps1880e06c.jpg

The snowblower I had been using for 20+ years broke 2-3 year ago during that spell of snowstorms, never got around to getting a new one, and luckily there hasn't been a need for one UNTIL this weekend.

And the poor LIRR order a brand new Jordan Spreader plow and it'll arrive in roughly a week and a half. Now once it reaches a "foot" in an undisclosed location, they will just all at once shut down.

Be safe everyone, and for anyone who has to go out in it, best of luck because it's bad out on the roads (between the conditions and the people that shouldn't be on a dry road let alone a icy, mushy road, it's just aweful).

Be safe everyone and don't overdo it trying to dig out. We got missed by 1/4 mile a few days ago by straight line winds of 110 mph and a hour later by a EF2 tornado that followed the same path...Mother nature is not one to mess with.

I'm in 50 now, and they just announced that the train is being terminated at WAS, and all pax going beyond are put on 188. I guess they don't want the train set stuck in NYP in case it gets bad and they can't get anything moving tomorrow...

~ DCTE

UPDATE: WINTER STORM CONTINUES TO IMPACT AMTRAK OPERATIONS
by Amtrak on Friday, February 8, 2013 at 4:32pm ET ·

Limited Service Operating North of New York on Saturday

Friday, Feb. 8, 20134:15 p.m. ET

Business hours:Amtrak Media Relations, Wilmington: 302 683.2129;email: [email protected]

After hours:weekends & holidays: 800 562.1904

As weather conditions deteriorate along the Northeast Corridor, Amtrak continues to adjust service in order to best accommodate passengers with travel plans in and around New England this weekend. Due to high winds and heavy snowfall, Amtrak is reducing service between New York and Boston.

There will be no Acela Express service between New York and Boston on Saturday, Feb. 9. Acela Express service between New York and Washington will operate as scheduled.

Southbound Northeast Regional service out of Boston South Station will operate a limited schedule starting with the 11:40am departure of train # 163.

Northbound Northeast Regional service out of New York Penn Station will operate a limited schedule starting with the 10:00am departure of train # 162.

In addition, the following service adjustments have been made for Saturday:

- Most Springfield Shuttle service (New Haven, Conn. - Springfield, Mass.) is canceled

- Vermonter service will not operate between Springfield, Mass. & St. Albans, Vt.

- Lake Shore Limited train # 449 will not operate between Boston & Albany, N.Y.

- Empire Service will operate on a reduced schedule between Albany, N.Y. & New York Penn Station

A determination about service on the Downeaster (Brunswick, Maine - Boston) will be updated later and passengers notified.

Northeast Regional and Acela Express service south of New York, as well as Keystone Service are not affected at this time.

Amtrak crews continue to monitor the progress of this major winter storm and are working to restore full service as quickly as possible.

Information about Sunday service will be made available tomorrow.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some tickets booked online that have not yet been printed can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

To be notified of major service disruptions resulting in delays of 60 minutes or more to multiple trains on the Northeast Corridor, follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

I'm in 50 now, and they just announced that the train is being terminated at WAS, and all pax going beyond are put on 188. I guess they don't want the train set stuck in NYP in case it gets bad and they can't get anything moving tomorrow...
~ DCTE
I would guess it is either a lack of working electric engines or lack of crews rather than storage of equipment in NY...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back