Where do you reside?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
I guess I'm gonna stick my neck out on this one, but I have been on this forum about 3 months now and I have almost gotten addicted to it. I mean....I check e-mail, make lunch/supper/breakfast and then click on to this website. Have you "longtimers" on this site ever wondered where people are from or what they do? Would it be appropriate for us to chime in who/where and what we do in life? I will be willing to go first I just don't want to cross a privacy line thats been drawn. I just get to see some of the same people posting and kind of wonder where they live etc.

I live in Lafayette La now and work for the BNSF Railway as a conductor.

I grew up in Okemos Michigan and moved down here 4 years ago. :)

I was a paied on call FireFighter before leaving Michigan to work for BNSF Railway.

Ok, cool! I just didn't want to post my "whereabouts" if it wasn't the right thing to do.

I'm a 42 year old, happily divorced male. I work for UPS and have been employed there for 18 years, 16 years as a delivery driver. I have season tickets to the Nebraska Cornhuskers and drive 218 miles to watch the Kansas City Chiefs play in the NFL with season tickets to them as well. My girlfriend and I (she works for the Social Security Administration) took our first trip on Amtrak March of 2006. We LOVED it! Can't wait to do it again soon. I reside in Lincoln Nebraska (LNK) and have been friends with Bill W. and Dr. Bob for 19 years. I don't know much about trains, but I'm beginning to really get the itch to board Amtrak in Lincoln and just go down the road to Hastings Ne. to see a friend. I think its $27.00 roundtrip. I believe I have been bitten by the train bug! :lol:

I live in Baltimore, MD and work in Washington DC, which means a MARC ride on the Penn (sometimes Camden) lines each day. 27, engaged, and an unapologetic train buff. Biggest annoyance: having to wonder/imagine each and every day on my commute what I missed out on during the heyday of rail travel in this country. <sigh>

-Rafi

Well you beat me to it. I was going to ask the same question for everyone.

I live in Grand Forks, ND where I just graduated with a degree in aviation. (yes I love trains, and all my pilot friends think I'm nuts, when I tell them I'm going across the country by train and not flying) I'm orginally from Texas. Grew up in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and also lived in Houston. Right now I drive school buses and play in the school wind ensemble, while I look for a flight instructing job somewhere in the country. So my days are numbered here in Grand Forks, and for whatever I find, it must be in an easy access to an Amtrak station. Thats my rule! :)

Chris

Born in Palo Alto, CA and moved out here to Atlanta, GA where I currently reside when I was 7. Have been living here ever since. I just turned 18 (April 19th) and currently have about 30,000 Amtrak miles and counting. In the fall, I will start college at the University of Redlands in Southern California and I couldn’t be happier! :D . This summer, as a graduation present, I am embarking on a huge Amtrak trip (which I already posted a topic on) that will take me from ATL-NOL-LAUPT-SEA-CHI-SLC. Was employed at a vet last summer but this summer will be working at the Audi Dealership.

Casselberry, Florida north of Orlando, near WPK station. Church Music Dir & Organist, also attorney. Have lived in Menlo Park, CA, Philadelphia & Johnstown PA., and Silver Spring MD areas also. Worked in NASA communications during Apollo (GSFC), also Navy comms. Ham Radio oper., private pilot, scuba diver, photog. (P-42: I lived in Menlo Park in the 60's, graduated Woodside High School, was member of Palo Alto Amateur Radio Assoc.) My wife and I have Florida resident railpasses, travel mostly around Florida but have gone as far as NOL and CHS. REALLY bummed out that Sunset was truncated. :-(

61 year old civil engineer, currently working on the Taiwan High Speed Railway, living in Taipei, Taiwan for most of the last 16 years. Have aslo lived and worked in Hong Kong, Dallas, Memphis, Washington DC, and Birmingham, with short times in a few other places. Shortly looking for another project to be on somewhere, as this project is supposed to be opening by the end of October this year, and anyone who works on it and does not believe it better not say so in public. My job contract ends in Oct. 5 and that will probably be the end of it for me.

I'll be 65 in June, live in Central KY where we retired to several years ago, but originally from Louisville. Have lived in Wisconsin, Ohio and Indiana over the years. I have loved passenger trains since I was a kid in the 40's. I found this great forum several years ago as my wife and I were getting ready to make our first cross country Amtrak trip. What a great group of people. :)

Aloha

That tells where I am now. Born in Philadelphia, kept moving north umtil Conn. west to LA and Honolulu. I am a stagehand.

West Texan here..... Born and raised in the Lubbock Area. Retired SBC telecom after 35 years. Remarried 2 years ago after 19 years single.

The Wife and I maintain a home in Lubbock (Go Red Raiders) and a home in the Hill country at Junction, Texas. My wife has lived all over the state of Texas. Our trip in June will be our first LD vacation together as well as our first rail travel. The Closest passenger service to us is in San Antonio or Austin, both are about 120 miles away. :(

:)

I'm almost 19 years old, a native of rural Arizona, but recently transplanted to Boston for college. I've enjoyed passenger trains since my first overnight trip on the Starlight at age 9. I'm approaching 50,000 miles, and a near-term goal is to do the Trans-Siberian. My practical background is in IT and software development, but I'm leaning away from that to study transportation.

Like Anthony I'm almost 19 (8 days), and I'm a student here at The Florida State University. I've been involved with railroading for about 5 years now, and have accumulated over 55,000 miles, with a bunch more to come this summer. I'm currently employed by the university under the Dean of Students and Campus Recreation. I'm working on a double major in Business Management and Hospitality Administration. My hometown is Ft. Lauderdale, FL where I spent 14 years of my life.

I'm almost 45, but I guess I'm still a kid at heart. Unmarried, but still looking. I went to college in New England and have resided in Maryland for 20 some odd years now (boy time has gone by quickly). To summarize:

- employed as an engineer/computer programmer

- hobbies include travel, hiking, biking, astronomy

- I've always been interested in trains, but have only recently started to get more into trains as a hobby

- Amtrak travel

- a fair amount of NEC travel

- a few trips to FLA on the Palmetto (when it went there)

- one trip to Chicago

- Just over 9000 miles on the Guest Rewards card, but lots of other NEC miles

- one "big" LD trip later this year, with others on the drawing board

I'll echo others comments by saying I find this forum to be quite interesting and think all of the folks seem pretty great.

Best wishes to all!

Deimos

Clifton, NJ here...2 miles away from Cliftons NJ Transit station and about 10 miles from Newark Penn Station, which serves 10 Amtrak routes and serves several hundred Amtrak, NJ Transit, and PATH trains daily.

Salisbury, NC ...

...equal distance b/t Charlotte, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem. We will be the split off for the new Amtrak line to Asheville, whenever that happens. Looking forward to that day. Nice rail museum up the street in Spencer where the old round-table and repair shops were.

I feel lucky to have Amtrak come thru 6 times a day; n/b and s/b versions of the Carolinian, Crescent, and Piedmont. I do about 10-12k miles a year on Amtrak. Love it...

47 y.o. and love passenger trains, cruise ships, travelling in Europe, and building model kits. Work in retail sales (hate it). Single, have a cat and dog.

Waiting to win the lottery...

:rolleyes:

About that last statement: "Waitin' to win the lottery". Well...when the record Powerball was won here in Lincoln Nebraska, I knew one of the winners. Hadn't talked (or partyed with him in 20 years) but he's just a dang good guy. 8 people from a slaughterhouse shared it. 7 guys, 1 women, 3 Asians, 1 from Congo, and the rest Caucasians. Just a nice mix of every walk of life.

As I've previously posted, I live in Lubbock ,Texas and the closest passenger rail service is San Antonio or Austin but I enclose a little history of rail service in my area. This article is about a small town 12 miles down the road from my home. It was quite a hub in it's day's. What the article didn't mention is that about another 25 miles down the road from Slaton is the city of Post...Where CW Post built a large plant early in the 20th century to produce Post Cereals (Post Toasties) and ship by rail.

format this article to print

SLATON, TEXAS. The site of Slaton, on U.S. Highway 84 fifteen miles southeast of Lubbock in southeastern Lubbock County, was originally part of a tract patented by Eli Stilson and J. I. Case on September 1, 1879. Case, who manufactured farm machinery, sold the property six years later to the Western Land and Livestock Company, which developed it into part of the firm's IOA Ranch.qv J. W. and Herbert L. Kokernotqv purchased the land in 1901, promoted settlement in the area, and later sold the property to J. C. Phillips. The community was founded when the Santa Fe Railroad sent W. B. Storey, Jr., from Chicago to establish a townsite as a division point to service trains. The company purchased the townsite on April 15, 1911, and designed its street pattern after the layout of Washington, D.C. The town officially opened on June 15, 1911; it was named in honor of rancher and banker O. L. Slaton, who promised to establish a bank. A post office was established by 1910, and the South Park addition was deeded to L. A. Wells and other developers in that year. At one time Slaton had four daily trains-a northbound and southbound train between Amarillo and Sweetwater, the Amarillo local, and the Lamesa local. It also had a Harvey House restaurant at the tracks. Slaton was the center of the largest division in the Santa Fe system. Santa Fe employees and their families moved there, and the population grew. Businesses included a cotton gin and mill and the Caps and Singleton hotels. The town incorporated on October 26, 1912. The weekly Slaton Journal was edited by E. W. Dickey beginning on June 15, 1911, and a school, established two miles west of the community in 1897, became the center of the Slaton Independent School District on March 9, 1912. By 1931 Slaton had 145 businesses and a population of 3,876; in 1949 it had 117 businesses and a population of 3,587. In the late 1960s the Santa Fe began shutting down operations at Slaton and moved offices to Lubbock, Amarillo, and New Mexico..............

It's sad to see a town die and although not dead, it has a population of around 2000 and is nothing but a farming community now.....

The large plant in Post was also closed and is now an Arts and Craft Show complex.

Boxcar Dummy said:
As I've previously posted, I live in Lubbock ,Texas and the closest passenger rail service is San Antonio or Austin
I am living in Amarillo, Texas. Actually, the closest rail service to both of us is Las Vegas, New Mexico. Less than 5 hours from Lubbock and 3.5 from Amarillo.

Davidson NC.

My "home" station is Kannapolis, about a 20 minute drive. It is served by the Carolinian and Piedmont.

Salisbury is about a 40 minute drive and Charlotte is about 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours - depending on traffic.

I am 62 years old. I retired after working as a programmer and an almond grower. I live in Chico, CA and hate the fact that the Coast Starlight comes through at 2 and 4 in the morning, usually 2 hours late. :angry:

My first train trip was when I joined the Air Force. It was from Los Angeles to San Antonio, TX. My last trip was the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder round trip Chico to Chicago. :)

Back