An Odd Ball Heritage Diner Rebuild

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
These are some very interesting picutres. They're a Heritage Diner rebuild but not a Temoinsa rebuild. What car is this. It's somewhere between a Superliner Diner and a Amfleet Dinette???? ;)

p224.jpg

p224.jpg

p225.jpg

p238.jpg

I think this car is a little dull but with some red fabric curtains and a little color it would look nice.

That's definitely odd looking. It looks more like a lounge interior than a diner. ;)

I think that's one of the first generation rebuilds before the stars, window lights, and upholstered seats (instead of those damn cushions that always slide off)..........maybe...I could be wrong (but is that really possible????? B) )

I think it really isn't a rebuild as I origionally said. The interior layout is exactly the same. Beech Grove just replace the walls, ceillings, tables, and seats. You'll notice that even the flourescent lighting above the windows is the same. I can't tell from the photos but I don't think the kitchen was redone. When Miami Joe swings by again he might have some more info.

Amfleet said:
I think it really isn't a rebuild as I origionally said. The interior layout is exactly the same. Beech Grove just replace the walls, ceillings, tables, and seats. You'll notice that even the flourescent lighting above the windows is the same. I can't tell from the photos but I don't think the kitchen was redone.
Agreed--I rode in something like this about a year ago

Wow!! :eek:

8512 is in the yard today.

This is the second time trying to post this, so I'm going to do this in pieces, since I gotta got to work.

About 3 years ago, 8512 was rebuilt with some real crazy kitchen equipment. The car had a giant G. Foreman grille, 2 Vulcan ovens, 2 convection hotplates and one of those chain feed grilles . The kitchen equipment was given to Amtrak by various vendors, who were hoping to secure contracts on other rebuilds. The car had a special menu to go along with the equipment and a crew was trained for the car. The crew's schedule revolved around the car placement in service.

Any, the equipment started to fail and we tried to keep the car running as best we could. The hotplates were destroyed when someone used the wrong pots. The ovens failed continously and were eventually replaced with standard units. The grille only heated on the top and Amtrak was not going to build anymore cars like this.

The Timenosa cars were coming out and 8512 was starting to spend more time out of service with multiple defects. Suddenly after about 2 years, 8512 dissapeared. It was sent to New Orleans, where the diner rebuilds were taking place. Around this time, the Timenosa cars were starting to show design defects and Amtrak was starting to feel the money problem. There were no more Timenosa kits available, so 8512 was rebuilt to a standard kitchen format.

There are some differences between 8512 and Timenosa rebuilds. The refrigeration was converted to 404a freon, but the compressor units are still under the car. It only has 2 steamtables instead of 4, 2 bread warmers instead of 4, 3 convection ovens, 1 grille instead of 2 and different sink layouts. It also has a concentrated coffee dispenser. There is a closet for hanging clothes on the B-end and no slip-slide unit for the brakes.

One of the biggest things I noticed was the drop ceiling in the car. The ceiling drops over the first six tables to accomodate the A/C vents on the A-end and is very close to your head. You can see this in the pictures. I don't think there is another car like this.

All the trains were on time today, so 8512 will not go out tomorrow. We thought we would have to build a #98. I made a mistake, there still is no diner on #90.

According to a travellouge by Matt (forget last name) from www.railromance.com he had a car like this on the Cardinal, #8550. There seems to be slight difference with that car according to the photo.

p068.jpg

Oh Ok what so bad looking about it, I sure the function of the coach can be still carried out

Guy B)

There is absolutly no taste in color in that car. Red seats, everything else is white or gray. Yes, it does still carry out its function. I geuss I'm spoiled with the TMI (Temoinsa) rebuilds.

Well I spose their is the seating colour, which does not match maybe they go to change it later because they did not have any in stock or something .

well I not sure what colour seats go with white or grey maybe a dark blue or I spose you could have a dark borwn leather seating effect or something

Guy

Seat color is fine, the walls need to be covered in a red fabric materials and curtains could be added and it would look fine. Then it would kind of resemble a Superliner II Dining Car.

As my Mom is getting excited about our Baltimore trek next year (kinda early isn't it?) I showed her footage of the Dining car and sleepers. Either fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, she saw a Timoinsa rebuild. She'll be kinda disappointed if we end up with just a regular rebuild instead of the Timoinsa.

Well, on the way back I want to take Acela Reigonal 195 from BAL to WAS to Document Union Station if it's not covered in the NRHS convention. But as far as the trip goes, we would leave from JAX (probably on 98, but I'd rather take 92) and go all the way to BAL. The reason being is we will celebrate my Grandparents 50 Anniversary in St Augustine just before the convention, and JAX is the closest station to there. Then on the way back go into DLB so my Dad could pick us up, as he works right across the street from the station (literally). I would work it out though so I only pay rail fare from BAL-JAX though and use my railpass the remainder of the trip.

On another note, I'm hoping that daylight service will resume over the TPA-JAX route as my sister will attend UF (sucks) next fall, and my parents would like her to take the train home, but not have to get up at 3:00 in the Morning to get on the Palm/Palmetto.

Cool, on 195 you'll be able to experience the Amfleet I equipment. On most trips I'm stuck paying the accomadation fare which is always higher than the rail fare. If you have the time and the few extra bucks I would consider going up tp 30th Street in Philly as that is another (and my favorite) masterpiece. You probably know this but try to get an odd # room so when you sleep at night the beds are made so you sleep forward.

Amfleet said:
On most trips I'm stuck paying the accomadation fare which is always higher than the rail fare.
Why would you be paying the accommodation fare? I would think that they would put the room in your mom's name, and put the accommodation fare on her ticket. Especially when using the AAA discount.

I wanted an odd numbered room anyway, because I'm an oddball (just kidding). I don't know if I'd go to Philly because of time constraints. Besides that after the convention I'll probably be on train overload. At one point my vacation for this summer just past was going to be my Dad and me hitting all major league baseball stadiums in the Northeast and Cooperstown, but then it turned into a New York trip. But you know if it was the ballparks we'd be going Amtrak all the way. Oh well. I would like to be positioned as an Engineer on the NEC anyway so I'll get to them all eventually anyway.

Alan,

It's a parent thing. What ever shows up on the ticket doesn't matter to them. I have to pay the accomadation fare. See my parents absolutley can not stand over night train rides so so I end up paying the "you dragging me along, so lets get wiht over with" fee. Once we're at the destination however, everything's paid for; hotel, food, etc. It all evens out.

Once I'm on the train I'll do my own thing while my mom has her head glued to the screen of her laptop. She's up late too so I'll always be to the diner first. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back