KIN to NHV - Nov 4

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nocTurnal

Train Attendant
Do you guys think the restored train service between Boston and New Haven will be delayed this weekend? Or do you think problems may only arise for those who are traveling onward to NYC and points south? I need to be in New Haven this Sunday by 10 AM. I'll be traveling from Kingston, RI. The early morning Sunday train is scheduled to arrive in NHV at 9:09 AM. I guess there is no way to tell other than to monitor Saturday's arrivals and departures. What is the best source for that? Would greatly appreciate some ideas.

Per the local PVD news, service between BOS and NYP resumed today, Nov 2.

BTW - I live near KIN but did not go to the station today. However, the last time I passed by, after Sandy hit, the station had no damage I saw. The same with PVD. However Westerly I'm not sure of, as that area was very hard hit, but I think it was closer to the ocean in the city.

Per the local PVD news, service between BOS and NYP resumed today, Nov 2.
Hello fellow Rhode Islander. Thanks for your reply. I'm aware that the service resumed, however, I wonder if it is risky right now as far as delays. It said "normal" service in Amtrak's NEC Twitter. That is a change from yesterday's "modified." So things are probably back to normal. I just can't be late. But I don't like driving on highways for more than 45 minutes. This is going to be my first Amtrak experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying this about Amtrak, but you can never be certain or uncertain about delays, especially with the aftermath of this storm. And that goes for any mode of transportation. You could drive and be caught in a traffic jam, and be late. You could fly and be delayed. (I once took a 3 hour flight from ORD-PVD that took 8 hours!) Or you could take Amtrak after Sandy and possibly be delayed.

Personally, I would rather take Amtrak and "let someone else drive"!

The service should be running, but I would call to get the exact status of the train. For example some trains were cancelled on Friday. My H tried to take the 1:40 pm out of BOS to PVD and it was cancelled so he had to take MBTA.

I'm not saying this about Amtrak, but you can never be certain or uncertain about delays, especially with the aftermath of this storm. And that goes for any mode of transportation.
I agree; you can be late with any kind of transportation. Best bet is to get there the night before to be honest. But then that means paying a hotel bill. BTW, the_traveler, what is the parking there like at the Amtrak Kingston? Is it safe to leave your care there for a week?

The service should be running, but I would call to get the exact status of the train. For example some trains were cancelled on Friday. My H tried to take the 1:40 pm out of BOS to PVD and it was cancelled so he had to take MBTA.
Oh wow. So even BOS to PVD there are still problems with the tracks... unless it was due to something entirely different. Unfortunately, there is no MBTA going that way. Amtrak is the only way from here. Unless I took Greyhound's 10 hour bus ride.

Parking at KIN is free, has a large parking lot, and I personally would have no concerns about leaving a car parked there for a week. (I have done so many times!) It is also the start of a bike/hike trail, built on the ROW of the former Narragansett Pier RR!

Parking at KIN is free, has a large parking lot, and I personally would have no concerns about leaving a car parked there for a week.
Okay, thanks traveler. So no worry about not getting a spot either. I have an old car anyway, not too worried about anyone trying to break in.

No, it wasn't a problem with the tracks, amtrak just cancelled that train for whatever reason. The MBTA runs on the same tracks as amtrak between BOS & PVD. That is why I said call to get the exact status. Just call 1800 USA RAIL and they can tell you if the train is running. Good luck fellow Rhode Islander. :)

No, it wasn't a problem with the tracks, amtrak just cancelled that train for whatever reason. The MBTA runs on the same tracks as amtrak between BOS & PVD. That is why I said call to get the exact status. Just call 1800 USA RAIL and they can tell you if the train is running. Good luck fellow Rhode Islander. :)
Hey there. Thanks for the tip. Didn't see your message until now. Well, I went on my first ever trip on Amtrak. I really enjoyed it. Quite a nice view going from Kingston to New Haven. Could see the ocean, bridges, a house on a cliff, people getting their boats out... really relaxing ride. Goes by so fast. That's too short of a trip! Now I think I caught the train-travel bug. It's unfortunate but based on the events on this trip I won't be traveling back to New Haven. Originally I had been scheduled to go back down there 3 times. But that's been cancelled now. :(

Glad you enjoyed it! Now take some longer rides! I (and many others) call train travel the only civilized way to travel! :)
Thanks. My hope is that I will get to go to Montreal and Quebec City. I hear the ride from New York up there is beautiful. Hopefully in the Spring I can do this if things go as planned... but they often don't.

The ride from NYP to MTR is very scenic! (That used to be my old "home" train when I was growing up.) But to connect to it from KIN, you either have to stay overnight in NY or take #67 and get to NYP ~2am, because the Adirondack departs at 8:30 and the next train from KIN arrives ~10 am! :(

NYP is open 24 hours. There is a separate Amtrak waiting area, and there are plenty of Police around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back