Keystone Ridership

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoy riding on the Keystone Service Trains. The conductors are always so courteous and friendly. Whenever my mom goes to Philly with me, they are always so helpful to her. My mom is 63 years old. She sometimes has trouble with her legs and that affects her balance. This, in turn, makes it difficult for her to get up and down the steps on the train. The conductors are quick to assist her in making sure that she gets on and off safely. We usually ride #666, a.k.a. the "Triple Six". One of the gentlmen conductors on this train recently retired after 39 years of service.He was always courteous, friendly and helpful and always had a pleasant way of talking to the passengers. This is one of reasons ridership increases, every year.

I have always thought that the Keystone is what should be the example that every state should want to have. Frequent service, good speeds (110MPH top speed), electrified lines, and good service (I too have had great Conductors on these trains). Oh yes.. and on-time trains since Amtrak owns the line.

Take the example of the Keystone and make it into an LD = Near Perfection!
As much as we could wish for them, we are nowhere close to having electrified LDs!

Personally, I would like LD's to stay under 100, with most of them operating at 90mph. I think that a main reason people take the train is the scenery, and the scenery flashes by a little fast when you start approaching nearly 2x the highway speed limit.

Reason ridership increases is I do endless points runs... :lol: :lol: Frequent trips between Philadelphia and Paoli for points will make it rise won't it! :giggle:

In seriousness. I ride 647 frequently and have become friends with one of the conductors. He is a great guy. I rode 642 this morning and had a great conductor.

As much as we could wish for them, we are nowhere close to having electrified LDs!

Personally, I would like LD's to stay under 100, with most of them operating at 90mph. I think that a main reason people take the train is the scenery, and the scenery flashes by a little fast when you start approaching nearly 2x the highway speed limit.
Well, even if it's a diesel train at 90 mph, that would still be a pretty good LD.

Unfortunately there is no hope of getting anywhere close to a self sustaining rail service unless it is considerably faster than the highway max speed. As subsidies become scarcer, either speeds will have to increase or trains will disappear except as short joy rides here and there.

Unfortunately there is no hope of getting anywhere close to a self sustaining rail service unless it is considerably faster than the highway max speed. As subsidies become scarcer, either speeds will have to increase or trains will disappear except as short joy rides here and there.
I think 90 mph should at least match the highways for gradeless routes. 100 would be slightly faster, 110 would be really good. Also, I think that at 110 mph I can still see the plains, through the mountains you can't run fast anyway. The EB would be great if it ran at 110 from CHI-CUT. After all, I have said that I like fast running through the plains more than slow running through the mountains, so it would not affect me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back