Indianapolis

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone thinking about attending the Indiana State Fair this August, the Indiana Transportation Museum operates several trains a day during the Fair. They depart from Fishers, a suburban community north of Indy and operate to a temporary station across from the Fairgrounds.

Parking is readily available at the ITM Fishers station, and you avoid the traffic/parking hassles of the Fairgrounds. The trains operate over a stretch of ex-Nickel Plate trackage with ITM's vintage diesels and coaches. The trip one-way took about half an hour and was well worth the $9.00 RT fare.

We (LadyWidget & myself) came in from out of town to attend the 2010 Fair. Lodging & restaurants are readily available in the Fishers/Carmel area. We managed to book via Priceline a room in nearby Carmel at a sizeable discount.

Fairtrain Web site http://www.itm.org/e...s/fairtrain.htm

Indiana State Fair Web site http://www.in.gov/st...fair/index.html

We had a really great time, as we always do when visiting Indy, and recommend the Fair and the Fairtrain highly.

[edited for clearer topic title]

Last edited by a moderator:
Update as of 2019: The Indiana Transportation Museum is moving to Logansport, IN, an hour and a half north of Indianapolis.

I wonder why of all places, they are moving to Logansport? Seems like to me having a location in the Indy area(even if it's in say Fishers) would be beneficial, to museum attendance. I do wonder why they chose to move up there, myself. Hope they owned their land their museum was on, and that it wasn't say like a rent or lease increase that forced them to move.

The museum bascially got kicked out of Fishers. Local mayors want to transform the right of way into a walking path.

Really?!? That sucks. You'd think they wouldn't be stupidly trying to convert that railroad path, into one only for bikes. I would think there should be some way to compromise, and build a bike path to the side of that existing railroad line. Too bad the mayors in that area didn't try to do that option. Thanks for responding, to clarify what was going on here.

Back