Food Near MSP Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be boarding the westbound Empire Builder at MSP station at 11:15 on a Friday night. I will be arriving at the station two hours before that. Since I have some time to kill and I assume the cafe car will be closed when I board I would like to find a decent place to get a meal somewhere near the MSP Amtrak station. Does anyone have any suggestions? Walking distance would be nice but it will be night and I am unfamiliar with the area. I will take a cab if need be. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

You are correct, the cafe closes upon approach to MSP for stocking and rarely reopens after.

That part of town is a food desert, especially at that late. Within walking distance there is Subway and Tracks, a dive bar attached to the hotel. I doubt either will have food available after 9PM. From where and how are you coming to the station? One of the downtowns plus a bus/taxi is probably going to be your best option.

Not much extremely close by will available, especially at that time of night. Probably not too walkable especially if you are carrying bags. The MSP station is in an industrial park off the main thoroughfare of University Avenue. Last time I was there, University was pretty torn up for the construction of the light rail line which could make walking even more of a challenge.

There is a sports bar/restaurant called Tracks at the Days Inn which is a short walk from the station. If you are leaving the front doors of the station, you'll walk across the parking lot and then turn left, walking down Transfer Road to University Avenue where you'll make another left. You will walk under the railroad overpass and the Days Inn/Tracks bar will be on your right, across University Avenue.

Other than that, I'd try to eat before arriving at the station or I'm sure you could get a Jimmy John's, etc. to deliver something to the station for you.

There are various fast food type places along University Avenue -- you may be able to get a cab to drive you until you see something that interests you.

Enjoy your trip.

Not much extremely close by will available, especially at that time of night. Probably not too walkable especially if you are carrying bags. The MSP station is in an industrial park off the main thoroughfare of University Avenue. Last time I was there, University was pretty torn up for the construction of the light rail line which could make walking even more of a challenge.

There is a sports bar/restaurant called Tracks at the Days Inn which is a short walk from the station. If you are leaving the front doors of the station, you'll walk across the parking lot and then turn left, walking down Transfer Road to University Avenue where you'll make another left. You will walk under the railroad overpass and the Days Inn/Tracks bar will be on your right, across University Avenue.

Other than that, I'd try to eat before arriving at the station or I'm sure you could get a Jimmy John's, etc. to deliver something to the station for you.

There are various fast food type places along University Avenue -- you may be able to get a cab to drive you until you see something that interests you.

Enjoy your trip.
I agree with guest guest... the area around the station is a wasteland for GOOD food. There is a McDonalds on University Ave about a half mile walk tops. Otherwise I think Jimmy Johns would be your best bet for delivery. There is one about a mile west of the station. Hopefully they are open until 10PM.

If you walk down Transfer Road and turn right, there's a Subway, which purports to be open until 11 p.m. A bit further on to the west is a McDonalds. Further on still, on the south side of University, is Cafe Biaggio. Mrs. Ispolkom and I ate there once a few years ago, I recall that the food was good, but quite pricey for what you got. A good wine list, for what it's worth, but we never found the need to go back.

I agree with Exiled in Express. Eat in one of the downtowns (in St. Paul I'd recommend Black Sheep coal-fired pizza, Amsterdam, Black Dog Cafe, or Pazzaluna if someone else is paying), and take the #16 bus to the station. Or a cab, since the #16 can be a trifle lively of a Friday night. Perfectly safe, I've always thought, but sometimes more loud talk and cussing than I'd like.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you walk down Transfer Road and turn right, there's a Subway, which purports to be open until 11 p.m. A bit further on to the west is a McDonalds. Further on still, on the south side of University, is Cafe Biaggio. Mrs. Ispolkom and I ate there once a few years ago, I recall that the food was good, but quite pricey for what you got. A good wine list, for what it's worth, but we never found the need to go back.

I agree with Exiled in Express. Eat in one of the downtowns (in St. Paul I'd recommend Black Sheep coal-fired pizza, Amsterdam, Black Dog Cafe, or Pazzaluna if someone else is paying), and take the #16 bus to the station. Or a cab, since the #16 can be a trifle lively of a Friday night. Perfectly safe, I've always thought, but sometimes more loud talk and cussing than I'd like.
Things are gonna get much much better when Amtrak switches to Union Depot in downtown St. Paul. There'll be good food in the Depot and a lot more pretty close.

Things are gonna get much much better when Amtrak switches to Union Depot in downtown St. Paul. There'll be good food in the Depot and a lot more pretty close.
Speaking of downtown St. Paul, there's a greasy spoon-type place downtown called Mickey's Diner that is reasonably priced and has good food, if you're wanting that kind of food. There's often a wait, but it goes pretty fast.

I agree with you, be a nice change to be near things, and I think the Greek restaurants that is in there now is not going to be open late??

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you, be a nice change to be near things, and I think the Greek restaurants that is in there now is not going to be open late??

I see that being one of the first battles a transit occupied SPUD will have, train station waiting room and wedding reception hall are not complimentary activities. If such heads do butt I do not have high hopes for Amtrak winning out. Has there been any more definitive word on when the move is going to occur? Midway is getting especially run down and I saw the platform tracks being laid last week as I rolled by on 8. Interestingly they are using wooden ties.

To add to Ispolkom's list of Saint Paul eateries, Bulldog (American pub fare), Sawatdee (Thai), and American Burger Bar (gourmet burgers). The latter two participate in most of the dining for miles programs. ^_^

I see that being one of the first battles a transit occupied SPUD will have, train station waiting room and wedding reception hall are not complimentary activities. If such heads do butt I do not have high hopes for Amtrak winning out. Has there been any more definitive word on when the move is going to occur? Midway is getting especially run down and I saw the platform tracks being laid last week as I rolled by on 8. Interestingly they are using wooden ties.

To add to Ispolkom's list of Saint Paul eateries, Bulldog (American pub fare), Sawatdee (Thai), and American Burger Bar (gourmet burgers). The latter two participate in most of the dining for miles programs. ^_^
I did the tour last week, and from what they said, Amtrak should be running this fall from SPUD, and other in the 2013-2014.

I did the tour last week, and from what they said, Amtrak should be running this fall from SPUD, and other in the 2013-2014.
May I ask what you mean by "and other in the 2013-2014"?

The light rails, and Jefferson Busline.

Jefferson Lines' website has them moving in in January 2013, so not too long after Amtrak moves in. The light rail will start serving Union Station in 2014, when the new line opens.

For some reason, Greyhound thinks it's better to stay in their current location in Minneapolis, even though it has much weaker access to public transit than Union Station will, and probably less connectivity to Jefferson Lines' services (which serve essentially every bus route in Minnesota that Greyhound books through, other than Minneapolis to Chicago.)

Jefferson Lines' website has them moving in in January 2013, so not too long after Amtrak moves in. The light rail will start serving Union Station in 2014, when the new line opens.

For some reason, Greyhound thinks it's better to stay in their current location in Minneapolis, even though it has much weaker access to public transit than Union Station will, and probably less connectivity to Jefferson Lines' services (which serve essentially every bus route in Minnesota that Greyhound books through, other than Minneapolis to Chicago.)
I have a feeling Greyhound will later show up after seeing how much "Traffic" they are missing out on!

Thank you for all the replies. I will be comming from the MSP airport At 8:40 so if all goes well and the plane is on time I will have have 1 to1-1/2 hours before the Empire Builder starts boarding. I think I should plan on putting my bags in the baggage storage and then depending on how I feel I will either walk up to Caffe Biagio or call Jimmy Johns and have a sandwich delivered to me at the station. Recently the Empire Builder is either on time at MSP or 1 hour late so that will affect my decision. Caffe Biaggio and JJ's close at 10 so if all goes well I should have time. Thank you for the great suggestions.

I have another question about the MSP staition. Is there a convenience store in or near the station? I may want to pick up some water/soda/wine before the boarding and I will not be allowed to transport those items on the plane with me. Thanks for any help offered.

I have another question about the MSP staition. Is there a convenience store in or near the station? I may want to pick up some water/soda/wine before the boarding and I will not be allowed to transport those items on the plane with me. Thanks for any help offered.
Nothing near the station as far as a convenience store even. Maybe down on University there might be something though. Maybe near where you decide to eat.

There's a supermarket somewhere near the station. During the westbound Empire Builder's stop there once, our LSA and another onboard staff person had to take a taxi to this store and replenish some vital commodity for the dining car. They were back long before the train left. Many larger supermarkets have good pre-made sandwiches. And at the very least you'll be able to buy snacks and fresh fruit.

There's a supermarket somewhere near the station. During the westbound Empire Builder's stop there once, our LSA and another onboard staff person had to take a taxi to this store and replenish some vital commodity for the dining car. They were back long before the train left. Many larger supermarkets have good pre-made sandwiches. And at the very least you'll be able to buy snacks and fresh fruit.
The closest supermarket would be the Rainbow at University and Snelling, about a mile east of the station. A good source of fruit and vegetables, but its deli's premade stuff has always looked pretty dire to me.

Off-sale liquor sales must end by 10 PM under Minnesota law. (I missed the wine requirement in his post.)
I thought that was the case, but I'm too middle aged to know closing hours (even such early ones) anymore.

There are vending machines in the station for water and pop to take with you.

This has been a good thread for information about the upcoming move to downtown St. Paul, thanks, that is exciting. I was at the Midway station in January, it is pretty dreary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back