Three People in Viewliner Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter20

Train Attendant
Hello all! I have searched and search & found some limited information on this topic.

Our family is considering taking the train for the start of our Thanksgiving Holiday. We are looking at the Silver Star train out of Orlando & heading North. My Daughter is really excited about the idea & my wife is ok with it (she is more of a get there as fast as I can person). I would like to book a bedroom (on a Viewliner) to make the trip enjoyable for us. I have read that the bottom bunk is 3'4 in wide (and our bed is 4'6 at home and we stick 120lb German Shepard in there with us at night) so I think it's tight but doable for 1 overnight trip. I know the Amtrak Website recommends two adults or 1 adult & 2 children in a pinch and we recognize in advance that it will be close quarters. Neither my wife or I are overly large & our daughter is quite young (Kindergarten age). I invision the seating area in the bedroom similar to our couch at home that we sit on all the time (all together) Finally, the trip is rather short (approx 16 hours scheduled time).

From everything I have read, I think we would fit fine. I am just curious if anyone here has some experience with 3 people in a viewliner bedroom and could give me some feedback. Is any of my thinking flawed? We really don't like the idea of two roomettes across from each other (for cost & seperation of family).

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The three of you will be fine in a viewliner bedroom. You won't be able to book it online because Amtrak has to tell you that it is designed for two but as long as you acknowledge that you know it is designed for two but are booking three, you can book it.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Orlando resident. I would make your reservations as soon as possible since the Star ordinarily only has 4 bedrooms and Thanksgiving is a high volume travel time. Sometimes they add an extra sleeper and there will be 6 bedrooms.

I think you will be fine in that space. Either you and your spouse can share the bottom bunk, or if that feels tight, one of you can share the bottom with your young daughter. There will be plenty of seating room in the daytime for three.

jb64 - Thank you for your comments. Being an engineer (not a cool one that gets to drive trains; but one that overthinks everything), I had measured out stuff to make sure it all would fit.

pennyK- Thank you for your note. I have ready many of your Trip Reports & feel better prepared for this trip because of them!! We live in College Park; so it will be nice to finally ride the tracks of the trains that we see regularly and should be well adjusted to the train whistles as we try to sleep through all the late night ones!!

the_traveler & amamba - thank you very much for the comments. We did call & they were very helpful getting us all set up!! I am glad to hear that people that have seen the rooms think we will be fine!

Look for several further questions soon!!

We live in College Park; so it will be nice to finally ride the tracks of the trains that we see regularly and should be well adjusted to the train whistles as we try to sleep through all the late night ones!!
We are almost neighbors. I live less than a mile from the tracks on the east side - just south of Colonial. I love hearing the whistles. :)

I am happy to answer any questions you might have about the Orlando station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back