Really only two Bellingham trains? Ugh!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're going on a 40th wedding anniversary trip in June to Alaska. We end up back in Bellingham via the ferry. I wanted to take the train back to Seattle where we stay overnight for an AM flight out of SeaTAC. But the early train is just to tight a connection to the ferry arrival time.

The plan is to visit my grandfather's grave in Seattle on the day we get in but since we've been to the city a few years ago, we don't have any other plans there. Instead, I figured to find a place in Bellingham to dump our luggage (check it in for the train?) then see Bellingham and catch an afternoon train. But there is none! The afternoon "train" is a bus! Ugh! I'd rather catch the airport shuttle upon arrival in Bellingham than take a later (yuck!) bus.The evening train is just too late for us to have time to visit and see grandpa's new VA-provided grave marker nearly 100 years after he died.

Do they add another train in the summer or am I doomed to take the ugly shuttle or worse bus?

Unfortunately, there are only two trains all year round. The state is working on a third frequency, but nothing has been decided yet. The buses are actually pretty nice, but I know what you mean.

The bus is not THAT bad to "yuck" at. suggest you actually try it. The third frequency is not going to come before you travel.

BTW, where and why are you flying from SEA?

The bus is not THAT bad to "yuck" at. suggest you actually try it. The third frequency is not going to come before you travel.

BTW, where and why are you flying from SEA?
Buses for long distances are ALWAYS yuck in my opinion. I just dislike them and only use them if I have to. The shuttle is no better (but runs when the ferry arrives so is a little more convenient). I can't relax on a bus. It's a personal thing. I spend the whole time "driving" as if I were in the driver's seat so I don't enjoy the ride no matter how nice. Besides, I hate freeway driving, always taking back roads if possible.

As to why fly from Seattle, After 2 weeks in Alaska, we'll want to get home from Bellingham. It is a long way to NC via Atlanta using the train. We'll save the EB and Canada trains for another trip when we can enjoy them better.

We got a great deal on First Class R/T to Anchorage and from Seattle so at least the air part will be only miserable and not horrible. :giggle:

I was thinking of Sounder commuter train but I checked on Sounders Transit website. Nope, no commuter train, just Amtrak or bus.
Thanks. Not familiar with the Sounder. I'll check out what they have anyway if only for a future trip to the northwest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buses for long distances are ALWAYS yuck in my opinion.
Seattle to Bellingham is 90 miles. That is a "long distance"? Google says 1 hr 41 minutes to drive it. In fact, if you hate buses that much, rent a car like I did. But I wouldn't hesitate a second to take a bus 90 miles.

Buses for long distances are ALWAYS yuck in my opinion.
Seattle to Bellingham is 90 miles. That is a "long distance"? Google says 1 hr 41 minutes to drive it. In fact, if you hate buses that much, rent a car like I did. But I wouldn't hesitate a second to take a bus 90 miles.
Long distance is a relative thing. As I said bus and van travel bothers me as I always "drive" when riding.

Amtrak bus - 2 Hrs & 10 minutes. Shuttle 2 hours and 45 minutes.

The idea of renting a car sounds pretty good! Two people one way on shuttle would be about $66. Bus about $38. With a car, I could hit the cemetery where my grandfather was buried on the way and save taxi/local bus fare to do so then I could go to airport hotel, dump the bags, take car back to Boeing tour then to downtown to return it. In the evening, we can "Link" it back to the airport.

Suggestions on preferred rental locations at ferry port/Bellington Amtrak station?

Personally, I can't see why someone would prefer a "shuttle" to a bus.

At best, a shuttle gives you the same equipment as an intercity coach bus, but that is rare. More likely is some cutaway-style bus which is built on a truck chassis and rides 100 times worse than any bus, or a large van (which is generally even worse than the cutaway shuttle).

At best, a shuttle gives you the same equipment as an intercity coach bus, but that is rare. More likely is some cutaway-style bus which is built on a truck chassis and rides 100 times worse than any bus, or a large van (which is generally even worse than the cutaway shuttle).
The shuttle leaves after the ferry arrives. The train is due to leave 45 minutes after the ferry arrival but if ferry is late, I miss it. Choice is to wait until 2:30 to take a bus or to take the shuttle. I have to reserve the shuttle ahead of time so taking a chance on the train ($38) w/o a chance to cancel if ferry is late then having to wait for bus is not good.

I checked car rental. Avis would be ideal being right by Amtrak/Ferry but they don't allow returns to Seattle from that location. Nobody else is close.

The shuttle leaves after the ferry arrives. The train is due to leave 45 minutes after the ferry arrival but if ferry is late, I miss it. Choice is to wait until 2:30 to take a bus or to take the shuttle. I have to reserve the shuttle ahead of time so taking a chance on the train ($38) w/o a chance to cancel if ferry is late then having to wait for bus is not good.

I checked car rental. Avis would be ideal being right by Amtrak/Ferry but they don't allow returns to Seattle from that location. Nobody else is close.
Just book the Amtrak train and don't print out the tickets until you arrive at he station. If you are late, then you can take the shuttle or the bus at that point, but book the train, the ferry should be pretty reliable.

One special thing about the transportation options here in Bellingham (for those of you not familiar with the area) is that the Alaska Ferry Terminal is just across the railroad tracks from the Amtrak/Greyhound station. Very conveniently situated. I did not know that the ferry is scheduled to arrive at a convenient time to catch the train, if the ferry is on time.

It would be great if you could make it work and just hop on the train when you get off the ferry! That would be too easy!

The Alaska Ferry Terminal building is only about ten years old and is very beautiful. They borrowed ideas from native Northwest Indian architecture, the long houses, and it's just a great building, I really like it in there, it's underutilized and a good place to spend some quiet time when you are in Bellingham. It has a wraparound deck over the water and lots of glass, you can be in there on a rainy day and be right on top of the water without getting cold and wet.

If you have a 45-minute connection, this discussion is off point! That ferry is rarely late, and only a few minutes late when it is. And the train is very close to the ferry. Relax. Get off, go to a coffee shop for a coffee, wander into the station and buy tickets... and get on the train. Johnny M has this one right: you have the bus as an emergency back-up, but you will catch the train without trouble.

If you have a 45-minute connection, this discussion is off point! That ferry is rarely late, and only a few minutes late when it is. And the train is very close to the ferry. Relax. Get off, go to a coffee shop for a coffee, wander into the station and buy tickets... and get on the train. Johnny M has this one right: you have the bus as an emergency back-up, but you will catch the train without trouble.
I guess I can do that. I would prefer the train. I was just worried that a combination of late arrival and slow disembarkation would make us miss it. Last year we took a ferry in the east and they made all the walk-ons wait until all the vehicles were off. Made what should have been a 3 minute exit into a 20 minute one. Wouldn't take long much of a ferry delay added to that to make us miss the train. Worse, not much time to call ahead to make alternative routings since it is not likely phone reception will be good until the ferry gets close.

Thanks to everybody for helping me overcome my concerns. The train it is.

Now if only the price will drop. The morning I am leaving turns out to be more than 50% higher than all the other trains and buses! No big deal. The train is worth it.

I guess I can do that. I would prefer the train. I was just worried that a combination of late arrival and slow disembarkation would make us miss it. Last year we took a ferry in the east and they made all the walk-ons wait until all the vehicles were off. Made what should have been a 3 minute exit into a 20 minute one. Wouldn't take long much of a ferry delay added to that to make us miss the train. Worse, not much time to call ahead to make alternative routings since it is not likely phone reception will be good until the ferry gets close.

Thanks to everybody for helping me overcome my concerns. The train it is.

Now if only the price will drop. The morning I am leaving turns out to be more than 50% higher than all the other trains and buses! No big deal. The train is worth it.

Try making the boat crew aware of your connection when you board, perhaps dramatizing just a little bit, and mentioning that the "sales people" told you the connection would be comfortable.
mosking.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back