Greyhound seats and fleet questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer
Probably not the best place for Greyhound wuestions, but here goes:

1. I can't find anywhere the seat pitch and width for a standard Greyhound 102DL3. I know they're getting refurbed, but any info works. Please say if it's before or after refurb. I was going to compare it with Amtrak and United Airlines seating.

2. I cannot find exact information on Greyhound's fleet. Do they still have these buses?

96A3

102A3

102D3

MC-9

Eagle 15

Anywhere I can find more info? CPTDB does not provide enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have an answer for #1, but for #2 I googled "Greyhound bus fleet" and got this page: http://www.greyhound.com/en/about/factsandfigures.aspx

So I guess the answer is at least yes on the 102D3, not sure about the others. That page I linked says that the majority of the fleet are the ones listed but doesn't say they are exclusive.

Probably not the best place for Greyhound wuestions, but here goes:

1. I can't find anywhere the seat pitch and width for a standard Greyhound 102DL3. I know they're getting refurbed, but any info works. Please say if it's before or after refurb. I was going to compare it with Amtrak and United Airlines seating.

2. I cannot find exact information on Greyhound's fleet. Do they still have these buses?

96A3

102A3

102D3

MC-9

Eagle 15

I don't have an answer for #1, but for #2 I googled "Greyhound bus fleet" and got this page: http://www.greyhound...andfigures.aspx

So I guess the answer is at least yes on the 102D3, not sure about the others. That page I linked says that the majority of the fleet are the ones listed but doesn't say they are exclusive.

Probably not the best place for Greyhound questions, but here goes:

96A3

102A3

102D3

MC-9

Eagle 15

I know that page. The big problem is that they's don't say all the buses. They don't even talk about the 102D3, which I am pretty sure is still in service. Also, I think the MC-12 is still in service as well.

Okay, in answer to your question on Greyhound seat pitch and width....

Today I took a tape measure to Prevost X3 number 86010. The seats are approximately 18 inches wide. That is for the cushion. If you measure the space for the pair from the wall to the outer edge of the armrest on the aisle, the total width is about 39 inches. They are 'pitched' approximately 33.5 - 34 inches apart.

Hope that answers your question....

I don't have an answer for #1, but for #2 I googled "Greyhound bus fleet" and got this page: http://www.greyhound...andfigures.aspx

96A3

102A3

102D3

MC-9

Eagle 15

I know that page. The big problem is that they's don't say all the buses. They don't even talk about the 102D3, which I am pretty sure is still in service. Also, I think the MC-12 is still in service as well.
The fleet currently consists of MCI MC-12's, 102D3's, 102DL3's, D4505's, G4500's, and Prevost X-3's. Eagles, MC-9's, and other old MCI's are gone. I have heard they have a handful of Van Hools, but have never seen any in a long while. And GLC, up in Canada has a few other 'orphans' like Prevost H3-45's, XL II's, and MCI E4500's.

Okay, in answer to your question on Greyhound seat pitch and width....

Today I took a tape measure to Prevost X3 number 86010. The seats are approximately 18 inches wide. That is for the cushion. If you measure the space for the pair from the wall to the outer edge of the armrest on the aisle, the total width is about 39 inches. They are 'pitched' approximately 33.5 - 34 inches apart.

Hope that answers your question....
Oh, wow, I never saw this. Great to know.

96A3

102A3

102D3

MC-9

Eagle 15

The fleet currently consists of MCI MC-12's, 102D3's, 102DL3's, D4505's, G4500's, and Prevost X-3's. Eagles, MC-9's, and other old MCI's are gone. I have heard they have a handful of Van Hools, but have never seen any in a long while. And GLC, up in Canada has a few other 'orphans' like Prevost H3-45's, XL II's, and MCI E4500's.
Right now it looks like the MC-12s are either sold or in storage and the same for the 102D3s. Some have been transferred to Canada. Don't know why they retired the latter so quickly. I just checked some FMCSA information on Greyhound, and that confirms that those buses are gone. Van Hools are probably gone too, not sure but it's fine because I never liked them on other companies.

The MC-12's, a few anyway, are still around. Saw them this week in NYC. More than one of the New York drivers loves driving them over the newer equipment.

In the main Amtrak category, we discussed Bangor and Aroostook RR(Highway Division) coaches. This would be a better place, as some folks get disgruntled over there when buses are discussed....

Bangor and Aroostook had deeper pockets than many similar bus lines of like size, so was able to afford the latest equipment as they came to market. They didn't really have that many different types....Mostly all GMC, until GMC exited the market, than MCI.

It was always a treat working in the Port Authority back then to see the "exotic" pool partner buses that Greyhound would bring in from far corners of the country, when they really operated an extensive nationwide route network. The PD4501 Scenicruiser's were very seldom used on any but all-Greyhound routes. Greyhound did use them on a few pool routes, where that companies operators received special training and qualification on their operation. In most cases, 'regular' 35 foot GMC's were used of different generations....

Besides the uniqueness of the 4501's, there was no comparable bus for the pool partners to reciprocate with. In the rare cases I mentioned, They would use the 4501's on one pool and use the other carriers equipment on another pool to balance the mileage....

Hey railiner, have you spotted any 102D3s in NYD? I can't confirm if they're gone or not but I've never seen any refurbished ones and haven't ridden one in quite some time.

Hey railiner, have you spotted any 102D3s in NYD? I can't confirm if they're gone or not but I've never seen any refurbished ones and haven't ridden one in quite some time.
There were two of them (1100 series) parked in Academy's Lot No. 3 in Hoboken this morning. Unrefurbished. I don't think I've ever seen a refurbished one...

There were two of them (1100 series) parked in Academy's Lot No. 3 in Hoboken this morning. Unrefurbished. I don't think I've ever seen a refurbished one...
Academy's lot? Are they being sold to Academy? Why won't Greyhound refurbish some of them? They are probably better for the less popular routes.

Academy's lot? Are they being sold to Academy? Why won't Greyhound refurbish some of them? They are probably better for the less popular routes.
Greyhound and Trailways of New York rent parking space at Academy's Hoboken lot. Trailways has for many years, Greyhound more recently, since they lost their lease to the 29th Street and 30th Street lots in NYC. Academy is not buying them.

As for Greyhound's reasoning, I cannot answer. I can only speculate that they don't want to invest anymore in the older, smaller buses in their fleet, especially if they have no wheelchair lift....

Greyhound and Trailways of New York rent parking space at Academy's Hoboken lot. Trailways has for many years, Greyhound more recently, since they lost their lease to the 29th Street and 30th Street lots in NYC. Academy is not buying them.

As for Greyhound's reasoning, I cannot answer. I can only speculate that they don't want to invest anymore in the older, smaller buses in their fleet, especially if they have no wheelchair lift....
I know you don't know, but they're refurbishing the 102DL3, so why not the 102D3? Besides, Greyhound coaches are far newer than Amtrak equipment. Even the MC-12s are pretty new compared to Amfleets/Superliners or, OMG, the Heritage cars.

New question just popped up, does GLI still use the G4100?

Railroad passenger cars are built more substantially than buses, and can last two to three times as long, or even longer as you noted, than buses do.

I have not seen any G4100's in years here, but did see a G4500 recently. When we were sharing GL's dispatch booth, I could access their BOSS computers and see what was where, but no longer have that ability....only see some of what passes thru, or is parked in Hoboken.

Personally, I'm glad the G's are mostly gone, at least from this part of the country....

Railroad passenger cars are built more substantially than buses, and can last two to three times as long, or even longer as you noted, than buses do.

I have not seen any G4100's in years here, but did see a G4500 recently. When we were sharing GL's dispatch booth, I could access their BOSS computers and see what was where, but no longer have that ability....only see some of what passes thru, or is parked in Hoboken.

Personally, I'm glad the G's are mostly gone, at least from this part of the country....
How did you get to share GLi's dispatch booth?

I agree about the G-series, my worst Greyhound ride was on a G4500.

When Adirondack started pooling with GL, we moved into their booth along with Peter Pan. A few years ago, we moved our operations back to the South Wing.

When Adirondack started pooling with GL, we moved into their booth along with Peter Pan. A few years ago, we moved our operations back to the South Wing.
Oh, you work for ADI! You guys are great, I've taken ADI before, I even got on a MC-9 once recently, do you guys still have MC-9s?

Oh, you work for ADI! You guys are great, I've taken ADI before, I even got on a MC-9 once recently, do you guys still have MC-9s?
Thanks, for the compliment.

I wish we still had MC-9's, but we sold our last one over ten years ago...miss the 'stick time', except when stuck in Lincoln Tunnel traffic, that is. :lol:

By the way, we abbreviate the carrier code as "ADT"......

Thanks, for the compliment.

I wish we still had MC-9's, but we sold our last one over ten years ago...miss the 'stick time', except when stuck in Lincoln Tunnel traffic, that is. :lol:

By the way, we abbreviate the carrier code as "ADT"......
Wait, I had an ADT bus but it borke down, so I got transferred to a MC-9 with Trailways on the side. If not ADT, who did it belong to?

New question: Why did Greyhound cancel some of its LD services? Some of them were very popular but still got cancelled.

New question: Why did Greyhound cancel some of its LD services? Some of them were very popular but still got cancelled.
A very good question. Part of it may be in what I commented on in the 'Cross-Country' thread....A few years ago, GL's CEO in their company newspaper stated that Greyhond was basically re-inventing themselves from a long distance carrier to concentrate on 300-400 mile maximum trips radiating from their largest markets.

Greyhound has abandoned some very popular routes that took them years to build.

A can imagine the great Greyhound founders spinning in their graves at what became of their once proud American icon.... :angry2:

A very good question. Part of it may be in what I commented on in the 'Cross-Country' thread....A few years ago, GL's CEO in their company newspaper stated that Greyhond was basically re-inventing themselves from a long distance carrier to concentrate on 300-400 mile maximum trips radiating from their largest markets.

A can imagine the great Greyhound founders spinning in their graves at what became of their once proud American icon.... :angry2:
Here is where I don't udnerstand. So the CEO is do what he said he would do. But those runs were popular so he still shouldn't have done it, IMO. After all, he's probably not doing it just to fulfill his statement, there are other reasons too.

Here is where I don't udnerstand. So the CEO is do what he said he would do. But those runs were popular so he still shouldn't have done it, IMO. After all, he's probably not doing it just to fulfill his statement, there are other reasons too.
As I don't speak for GLI, I cannot answer your question. From what I have heard, they are not actively going after long haul business, as the economics don't yield what the shorter hauls do. For example....suppose they could fill a bus in NYC with a solid load of passengers going all the way to Los Angeles. At first glance, that would seem good, right? But to get that business, they would have to offer a fare low enough to lure passengers from low cost air carriers, in most cases it would take a very low fare to do that. So they have all the terminal, driver, fuel, and other expenses to pay to get that bus with 50 passengers across the country.

The fare to go 300-400 miles would be almost as high as the coast to coast fare, with good yield management in place, with a much lower cost of operation, hence a much greater profit. At least that's a theory.....in practice, who knows?

Why don't you pose some of your questions directly to GLI corporate offices, and see if they give you any explanation?

As I don't speak for GLI, I cannot answer your question. From what I have heard, they are not actively going after long haul business, as the economics don't yield what the shorter hauls do. For example....suppose they could fill a bus in NYC with a solid load of passengers going all the way to Los Angeles. At first glance, that would seem good, right? But to get that business, they would have to offer a fare low enough to lure passengers from low cost air carriers, in most cases it would take a very low fare to do that. So they have all the terminal, driver, fuel, and other expenses to pay to get that bus with 50 passengers across the country.

The fare to go 300-400 miles would be almost as high as the coast to coast fare, with good yield management in place, with a much lower cost of operation, hence a much greater profit. At least that's a theory.....in practice, who knows?

Why don't you pose some of your questions directly to GLI corporate offices, and see if they give you any explanation?
i got no answer.

New question: Is there any way to see what equipment Greyhound will use for a run? Right now I just go to the station and bet it's not a G4500.
It would depend somewhat on where you were going, but in general from New York it's most likely going to be a Prevost X-3, or a refurbed MCI DL-3. Equipment are grouped in numbered "pools", that carry all the required licenses and permits for the territory they will operate. The maintenance supervisor will select any convenient bus from the proper pool to fulfill each schedule. They are not on a 'loop type' pool like was used at one time, where buses were assigned a 'home garage', and followed a specific rotation of schedules until returning to their home garages for maintenance. Back then, you knew in advance which buses were likely to show up. Now it is more random.

Back