Wi-Fi

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

candie_yams

I'm traveling across the country soon. I will be on a train that doesn't have the Amtrak Wi-fi. Is there any other way for me to get internet access on my laptop. Also, I have an Iphone.

Depending on the route, most Amtrak routes roughly parallel Interstate highways, where there is cell coverage. I'm not saying you will have it 100% of the time, but I have it most times I've tried!
smile.gif

I'm traveling across the country soon. I will be on a train that doesn't have the Amtrak Wi-fi. Is there any other way for me to get internet access on my laptop. Also, I have an Iphone.
I used an old 3G usb stick and had pretty good speed and coverage. It is expensive though, especially for only the time used on the train.

I made it just fine with out WiFi on the Empire Builder. I had my iPhone and did have pretty good coverage to check my e-mail and FB. Otherwise, I just enjoyed the country go rolling by me, and some reading.

Yes. Sign up for a tethering plan with your cell provider and you can use your iPhone as a hotspot, either via WiFi or USB. I have AT&T and it works great, I use it all the time, on the train, on my commute to work, in shops that don't have WiFi, etc. Verizon offers a similar plan, not sure about Sprint but I wouldn't be surprised. You can take the feature off at any time, it's not part of the contract, and runs about $20 a month (at least on AT&T). It's a real lifesaver for me and it works a lot better than any of the USB cell cards or MiFi's I've ever played around with. Cheaper, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
or you can download an app like easytether which is a direct tether with your phone connected to your laptop and using your phones data allotment. The app cost was minimal and there is no monthly fee which is better for the rare occasions like this.

I don't think Apple will ever allow apps like EasyTether to be made available for the US iPhone. As for coverage that depends on the route. On the Sunset Limited I've tried AT&T, Sprint, T-mobile, and Verizon with bad results across the board. I'm not sure what those ranchers are using out there but none of my equipment seemed to work with any of it.

I believe that if you are grandfathered into an unlimited data plan with AT&T, that it is not possible to add tethering to your plan.

If that is the case, you could consider a verizon mifi or similar device. It is essentially a mobile hotspot that goes off the 3G/4G network. The one that I have allows one to connect up to 5 devices.

Yes. Sign up for a tethering plan with your cell provider and you can use your iPhone as a hotspot, either via WiFi or USB. I have AT&T and it works great, I use it all the time, on the train, on my commute to work, in shops that don't have WiFi, etc. Verizon offers a similar plan, not sure about Sprint but I wouldn't be surprised. You can take the feature off at any time, it's not part of the contract, and runs about $20 a month (at least on AT&T). It's a real lifesaver for me and it works a lot better than any of the USB cell cards or MiFi's I've ever played around with. Cheaper, too.
On Verizon I believe the Hotspot is a part of your data.. My Girlfriend activated it.. That is what she stated. I have no interest in it unless I'm going on a long haul ride.. Which I won't be for a while. :( Not sure how much data it sucks up though... I really don't have to worry about it as I'm grandfathered into the Unlimited Plan. :) She isn't she went to Verizon a few months ago.

On my cross country trip this march, I plan on taking my iPhone to check email, go on Facebook, and of course, AU. :) Since my cell plan is with Bell Canada, I had to splurge and purchase the 1gb USA feature for a month. It's pricy, but bell partners with most of the major US cell providers, so I won't have to rely on one carrier's network alone. I also plan in bringing my iPad and teathering it to my phone. I don't expect to get amazing service, but it's better than nothing, right?

On my cross country trip this march, I plan on taking my iPhone to check email, go on Facebook, and of course, AU. :) Since my cell plan is with Bell Canada, I had to splurge and purchase the 1gb USA feature for a month. It's pricy, but bell partners with most of the major US cell providers, so I won't have to rely on one carrier's network alone. I also plan in bringing my iPad and teathering it to my phone. I don't expect to get amazing service, but it's better than nothing, right?
You have an iPhone and an iPad?? I'll take a gander and guess you have an iMac and or macbook.. :giggle: But really you don't need an iPhone and iPad.. The iPad is a big iPhone! More so with the iPad 2. I'm just curious on why you have both an iPhone and iPad.

On topic. I should add when I had a 2G phone back in 2007 I was on the SWC and we were in the middle of no mans land and I had great service with Verizon. Not sure how it would be on a 3 or 4G networks. But 2G it was great. But with an iPhone you can turn off your 3G service. When I was on the EB service was very hazy in Montana. We stayed at the Izaak Walton and No Service in Essex, MT period... Just the pay phone in the hotel and phones for residents and hotel reservations. Yet again it's been 5 years who knows.

You have an iPhone and an iPad?? I'll take a gander and guess you have an iMac and or macbook.. :giggle: But really you don't need an iPhone and iPad.. The iPad is a big iPhone! More so with the iPad 2. I'm just curious on why you have both an iPhone and iPad.
Firstly, I had my iPad before I ever had any cell phone, and I use my iPad more like a laptop. (Word processing, keynote presentations, surfing the web.) I use my iPhone more for texting, calling, listening to music, and playing games. You may think it's redundant, but imagine how hard it would be to write a 1000 word essay on an iPhone.

I must say though, since I've gotten the iPhone, I have used the iPad less often.

And no, I don't have any Mac computers at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an iPhone and a tablet computer (HP touchpad, but its like an iPad that runs adroid software). They fulfill two totally different functions. The iPhone is my PHONE - I carry it with me everywhere, and I do small stuff on it when that is all I have.

The tablet computer is more of a laptop replacement while traveling. Surf the web, play games (angry birds anyone?), visit AU, email, even do some work stuff on it.

An iPad =/= an iPhone replacement. A tablet computer doesn't fit in my purse or my pocket.

I guess the iPad is just a little too magical for me. I'd rather get some actual work done, usually on a laptop or netbook that does twice as many things for half as much money. Even if I just want to relax with a movie I'd rather use a device that doesn't require me to hold it in my hand or balance it with a folded screen cover.

I guess the iPad is just a little too magical for me. I'd rather get some actual work done, usually on a laptop or netbook that does twice as many things for half as much money. Even if I just want to relax with a movie I'd rather use a device that doesn't require me to hold it in my hand or balance it with a folded screen cover.
Disclaimer: I don't have an iPad

Maybe you could put velcro on the back then put velcro on the upper bunk in the roomette/bedroom and attach the iPad to the "ceiling" to watch your movies. :giggle:

I just got back from a cross-country trip myself, and as much as I enjoyed the trip, I really do think that lack of available wi-fi on long distance trains is a major failing of Amtrak. Almost all of the airlines (at least on some of their aircraft) now offer some sort of wi-fi on their planes for much shorter journeys. Some even offer the service over water. I just don't understand, other than a lack of funding, what the deal is with no reliable internet access on board long distance trains. Even the Coast Starlight, which promises wi-fi in the Pacific Parlour Car had no wi-fi service. My gut says that the router just needed to be reset and no one on board knew how to do it, but that is a separate issue.

I loved riding the train. But, being disconnected for a day-and-a-half (Capitol Limited). almost two-and-a-half more days (California Zephyr), and another day-and-a-half (Coast Starlight) is just unacceptable. Yes, I have a data plan on my phone, but there are a surprising number of areas that do not get cell service (or get incredibly weak cell service) through those rural towns in Utah, Colorado, Nevada, etc.

This really shouldn't be such a hard fix.

I agree re: the iPad. My HP touchpad cost $99 (when they were discontinued and firesaled) which is the only reason I bought one. And it came with an annoying proprietary OS (webOS), but luckily my H was able to hack it and put on android. I do like to bring it places instead of my laptop - like a weekend trip or something where I do not need heavy computing power - because it is lighter. It is great for watching movies, reading ebooks, surfing the web, and responding to emails. But you are right that it only has half the functionality of a laptop.

I just got back from a cross-country trip myself, and as much as I enjoyed the trip, I really do think that lack of available wi-fi on long distance trains is a major failing of Amtrak.

Yes, I have a data plan on my phone, but there are a surprising number of areas that do not get cell service (or get incredibly weak cell service) through those rural towns in Utah, Colorado, Nevada, etc.

This really shouldn't be such a hard fix.
You've actually identified the problem - the little to weak cell service along many of Amtrak's LD routes. Which I'd suggest is a very hard fix, at least from Amtrak's perspective.

Any terrestrial vehicle that provides free WiFi service does so by relaying the data with cellular towers along it's route. No cell towers/poor service = poor data service. It's as simple as that. And on LD routes, that's Amtrak's biggest challenge.

While Viasat has launched a promising satellite offering satellite broadband at decently fast speeds, there would be intermittent connectivity issues due to needing line of site the the satellite and satellite service is VERY expensive - Amtrak couldn't justify the cost without charging for the service - and charging a good deal, at that.

When I was on the EB service was very hazy in Montana. We stayed at the Izaak Walton and No Service in Essex, MT period... Just the pay phone in the hotel and phones for residents and hotel reservations. Yet again it's been 5 years who knows.
As of June 2011 there was still no cell service at the Izaak Walton...the hotel advertises Wi-Fi available in their downstairs bar/lounge; I tried it but found it discouragingly slow (and I'm talking on the order of 300-1200 baud slow, for those of you who remember modems). However, the weather (overcast and rainy) may have had something to do with that; I believe their internet connection is via satellite and the weather could well have been interfering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back