New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi everyone:

I hope this is the right place to post as I didn't see a topic on this city.

Just wondering if any one has any ideas on how to go about renting a house for 1-2 weeks in New Orleans in the late spring or early summer?

I don't know a soul there and I really don't want to let my fingers do the walking in the unknown real estate listings. If there are some nice areas to stay near/on water, it would be great to know about them.

Thanks!

-- Jackie

Hi everyone:

I hope this is the right place to post as I didn't see a topic on this city.

Just wondering if any one has any ideas on how to go about renting a house for 1-2 weeks in New Orleans in the late spring or early summer?

I don't know a soul there and I really don't want to let my fingers do the walking in the unknown real estate listings. If there are some nice areas to stay near/on water, it would be great to know about them.

Thanks!

-- Jackie
:cool: New Orleans can be VERY pricey when it comes to renting houses and apts, especially in the French Quarter and the Garden District! Staying in the burbs or across the Lake or River isnt really New Orleans! Id suggest looking into staying in one of the Extended Stay Places w kitchens etc. Prices come down after Carnival is over and are really Low in the Hot and Humid Summer for Hotels(lots include Breakfast/Happy Hour snacks and Drinks etc.), there are lots of B and Bs also,cant offer any specific suggestions but Google is a good tool to use! Im sure you know not to book a Car, which you really dont need, Parking is scarce and Expensive! and there is plenty of good Public Transportation including Ferries, Street Cars and Busses! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
:cool: New Orleans can be VERY pricey when it comes to renting houses and apts, especially in the French Quarter and the Garden District! Staying in the burbs or across the Lake or River isnt really New Orleans! Id suggest looking into staying in one of the Extended Stay Places w kitchens etc. Prices come down after Carnival is over and are really Low in the Hot and Humid Summer for Hotels(lots include Breakfast/Happy Hour snacks and Drinks etc.), there are lots of B and Bs also,cant offer any specific suggestions but Google is a good tool to use! Im sure you know not to book a Car, which you really dont need, Parking is scarce and Expensive! and there is plenty of good Public Transportation including Ferries, Street Cars and Busses! :wub:
So how much is parking in NOL at amtrak lot??

So how much is parking in NOL at amtrak lot??
Last I heard it was $5 per day. Not bad for New Orleans. Most hotels charge more than that! According to the Amtrak site, there are 180 spaces for cars parking overnight, however there is no parking attendant. You have to put money in a box next to your space to cover parking fees while you're gone. Someone goes around collecting the money on a daily basis, and if there isn't enough in the box while you're car is there, it may get towed. Make sure you bring enough cash in $5 bills to "stuff" your box. Also, make sure the bills go all the way into the box, as sometimes they might get "extracted" if they're showing in the slot.

If the price has gone up, hopefully someone will post an update. We'll be needing to park there for 6 days when we go on our trip in August.

Tangentially related, and keeping this to one thread about NOL, my Fiancee and I will be visiting the city next January, and were wondering if anyone had any Bed and Breakfast recommendations. We prefer B & Bs or small Inns to the big chain hotels, so if anyone has any favorites they'd recommend, chime in!

~ DCTE

Check out Plas D'Armes Hotel!(usually under $100 a night, Google it up!) Its two blocks from Jackson Square behind the Cathedral, Cafe Du Monde, couple of blocks to Bourbon Street etc.(if thats your thing, plenty to do in New Orleans!)They have a beautiful Courtyard with Pool, Continental Breakfast is included and while the Cheapest Rooms (Ground Floor) have no windows, they are very Commfortable, Clean and Modern in a 200 year old Building! Ive been in New Orleans about 100 times and stayed lots of places that are average to great, this one is my favorite! :wub:

Tip: Be sure and ride the Algiers Ferry, it's Free, and buy a Day Pass for the Busses and Street Cars, best deal going in New Orleans! For Food and Drink try Coops Place on Decatur, locals go there and its got great Jamabalaya (and other good stuff too) plus the Coldest Beer Ive ever had! Dont be put off by the Gambling in the back and the "Working Girls" that hang out there! :giggle:

Tangentially related, and keeping this to one thread about NOL, my Fiancee and I will be visiting the city next January, and were wondering if anyone had any Bed and Breakfast recommendations. We prefer B & Bs or small Inns to the big chain hotels, so if anyone has any favorites they'd recommend, chime in!

~ DCTE
Check out Prytania Park in the Garden District.

I stay at Hotel Provincial. It is in a very convenient, yet quiet, location, is reasonably priced, is not a chain, and has a breakfast - though breakfast at Croissant d'Or which is just around the corner, is cozier and calmer.

When Mrs Crockett and I have gone to town and lived it up, we've stayed at the Elysian Fields Inn. Located in the Faubourg Marigny, it is a great place to stay if you want to check out 'the scene' on Frenchman street.

I hope Isaac is kind to N.O. :(

I've enjoyed staying at Crescent City Guest House, a cute little place in the Marigny. Note, though, that breakfast is continental breakfast on your own -- the owners stock the fridge and leave you to fend for yourself. While I don't mind that at all, it's important to know what to expect.

Have heard very good things about The Chimes in the Garden District, which I think I'm going to try for my next stay in the Big Easy.

I'm looking for some orientation in this area..is the Amtrak station near the bus stop where the city bus drops you off (same bus that runs from airport to downtown?) and are there hotels within walking distance of the Amtrak station? Yes, I will do my own Google research but am curious for any recent suggestions. I like Jim's restaraunt suggestion but was told to keep my kids away from the French quarter. :eek:hboy:

I'm looking for some orientation in this area..is the Amtrak station near the bus stop where the city bus drops you off (same bus that runs from airport to downtown?) and are there hotels within walking distance of the Amtrak station? Yes, I will do my own Google research but am curious for any recent suggestions. I like Jim's restaurant suggestion but was told to keep my kids away from the French quarter. :eek:hboy:
Yes..on google maps..you can see where the city bus stops are.. but i do not thing there is bus from airport..that would be taxi...

there are several hotels within a half mile walk and of course more in a mile walk of Amtrak... French Quarter is nice..if you have kids you may want to ignore bourbon street.. Hope you enjoy NOLA!

There is indeed a city bus that runs from the airport to downtown. We did a quick reconaissance trip this past summer, since until my upcoming layoff date we could fly in and out of there for free. The taxi fare is $47 or the bus fare is a couple bucks. Very easy decision. Anyway, the bus stop is a long walk from the convention center which is evidently where our hotel was located. I didn't know any better and that explained the lower cost. It was even a longer walk with it being 98F and extremely humid...kids can really complain a lot. Something about how they were going to die but I kept telling them they were building character, then occaisionally they would refuse to walk another step without Slushies from 7-11. But we got there eventually and had to all take showers for the second time that day so we could tolerate each other. For our short stay we toured the area by exploring the trolley lines, and the convention center tourist shops. In the evening we walked the market area, having been told by a friendly clerk in a souvenir shop that I was not allowed to take the kids to Bourbon street. :giggle: Did not see the French quarter at all. It was only a quick trip to get a look around. The next day we went back to the airport and went home. We were going to try and visit Nawlins again this fall, to stay longer but the trip is on hold for now. When rescheduled, the plan is to fly in.. hopefully.. then take the bus from the airport to downtown, hoping for a place to stay that is walkable from both the bus stop and the Amtrak station, then ride the CONO to Chicago. :cool:

I was looking at the Place D'Armes rates and they seemed too low. It's cheaper for me to stay there then a hostel that is not in the French Quarter. Is there something wrong w/ the place or are their rates just super low?

Will be in New Orleans two days as the plans look right now. Hope to go to the WWII museum and also on a swamp boat tour. I would think both of those would be close to half day adventures. I guess we will look at the French Quarter too but maybe that might be in the evening.

Dan

Tripadvisor favors it:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60864-d111993-Reviews-Place_d_Armes_Hotel-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html

These are reviews from real travelers. I contribute every time I stay in a hotel.
Sarah, Have you been to New Orleans? Two days there seems so little but have to get back to school/work. I know my son will love a swamp tour to see gators and he likes WWII/military stuff so will like the WWII museum. Not sure how he will like jazz and the food as he is quite a picky eater. I am just so glad he decided he'd go to New Orleans instead of Houston.

Dan

PS. Thanks for the info.

I have not, but it's right up near the top of my list of places to visit. :) I want to see the old cemeteries and architecture, and I love jazz. Creole cooking is probably too spicy for me, and I don't dig seafood, but I'm sure I can find something yummy.

We have made two trips to New Orleans on Amtrak in the past three years and enjoyed both times there. Ride the streetcars, take a cemetery tour, take the boat cruise down to where Andrew Jackson "fought" the British at the Battle of New Orleans, WWII museum, walk along the battery and watch boats on the Mississippi River, and enjoy the performers on Jackson Square. Would like to do the swamp tours, mansion tours and the art museum on our next visit.

Lots to do outside the traditional Bourbon St activities.

Just don't go during Mardi gras this month!! Check calendar.,, ttoodangerous...

I was looking at the Place D'Armes rates and they seemed too low. It's cheaper for me to stay there then a hostel that is not in the French Quarter. Is there something wrong w/ the place or are their rates just super low?

Will be in New Orleans two days as the plans look right now. Hope to go to the WWII museum and also on a swamp boat tour. I would think both of those would be close to half day adventures. I guess we will look at the French Quarter too but maybe that might be in the evening.

Dan

Dan
:hi: Excellent Plan! As Sarah posted, check out PlaceD"Armes, it's the Best Deal going if you got a Cheaper Rate than a Hostel! Also, read my Post #9 on this thread on Activities, I'm envious, New Orleans is one of my Favorite Places to Visit!! :)

This would be in August. I know it will be hot. That's part of the reason we are going--can my son stand the heat/humidity. The hotter the better for his test.

Dan

PS thanks to all. Re hostel--well the rate per person was a bit cheaper in the hostel but only room was for 4 folks so would have had to pay about $120 or so a night. The hotel was about $90 for two adults.

This would be in August. I know it will be hot. That's part of the reason we are going--can my son stand the heat/humidity. The hotter the better for his test.

Dan

PS thanks to all. Re hostel--well the rate per person was a bit cheaper in the hostel but only room was for 4 folks so would have had to pay about $120 or so a night. The hotel was about $90 for two adults.
As to the Weather, unless a Storm blows in it wont be too bad in the Morning and @ Night, it's the Afternoons that are really Warm and Sticky, but plan to do things in the afternoon like Touring the Museum(s), riding the Ferry, taking a Swim (the Pool is Small but the Garden/Patio area is Cool and Beautiful @ the Hotel!) and even a Quick Nap if you plan to do the Night Life! And don't forget about Coop's on Decatur for Great Food,(the Rabbit Jambalaya is to die for!) Drink and Atmosphere! and as I said, don't let the Gambling in the Back and the "Working Girls" bother you, it's a Local Joint! Let the Good Times Roll! :)

Back