WiFi in Pacific Parlor Car on Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

river

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I just learned that there is free WiFi in the Pacific Parlor Car. According to what I've read, it wasn't working so well 6 months ago--people were unable to connect even though it appeared available, for example.

Is it working better now? If the WiFi works well, I will be extra glad we decided on a roomette for our day time trip to have access to the Parlor Car.

I just learned that there is free WiFi in the Pacific Parlor Car. According to what I've read, it wasn't working so well 6 months ago--people were unable to connect even though it appeared available, for example.

Is it working better now? If the WiFi works well, I will be extra glad we decided on a roomette for our day time trip to have access to the Parlor Car.
I've taken two round trips in the past 6 months, San Jose to Seattle and back, and it's never worked on any of them. So, I'd say don't count on it. However, the Parlour Car is definitely worth it, even if it's wifi-less.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's still an intermittent proposition. It has been about 50/50 over my past several rides. It wasn't working last weekend, but I had a few trips in December where it was up and running. 

Don't count on it. If it's working and fast enough for you consider it a bonus.

If you really need the internet on board, get a dongle for your laptop or enable a wi-fi hotspot app on your phone. Even then, count on there being a few places where there's no coverage.

Of course, the PPC is a jewel with or without wi-fi.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll be fine without the Internet for 12 hrs if need be, even though I am pretty addicted to it! ;) Don't know how we used to live without the Internet!

Saw the CS at VNC this morning. I had my netbook with me so I checked to see it the wifi was present at the Parlor Car. It was was. I could connect with it about 100 ft. away. The SCA said only the first 1 or 2 sleepers could hook up. Probably because of the steel in the cars. BTW, there were three single level cars at the end of the consist. In Amtrak colors but couldn't get a good enough look to identify them.

I don't think the problem was connecting to the WAP (wireless access point) so much as actually doing anything productive with it while the train was moving.

I was on the CS last week (boarded Thurs morning in LA; departed Friday night in SEA). The Wi-Fi did not work the entire trip. I am inclined to think that a reset of the router might have solved the problem, but who knows? The downstairs movie theater was also out of order, which also appears to be pretty standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back