Sign in to follow this  
Rail Freak

Belton Chalet

Has anyone stayed at the Belton Chalet in West Glacier? If so, give me a run down, please!!!

Thanx

RF

Not yet! I've planned to return to Glacier Park by rail and stay there. I made a 1980 trip to Glacier and used the Belton station as my entry point to the park. I'm sure I saw the Belton Chalet.

I can recommend McDonald Lodge and Many Glacier Hotel--both former Great Northern properties just like Belton Chalet.

When I go again I might use the "red jammers" to get around instead of renting a car at Belton.

Who you gonna believe, Rushbo or your lieing eyes?

Nice find Charlie, everyone should see these, but I'm guessing they won't be shown on Fox Stations!!!

We stayed at Belton Chalet three nights last week. It's located across Hwy 2 from the West Glacier Amtrak station (which is in use as a gift shop for a Glacier NP preservation group).

Rooms are small, simple, clean, and have a private bathroom. Some (with balcony) face trackside and the highway; others face the forest in back.

The lounge area is small but has a fireplace and shares room with an open gift shop area.

Free coffee is served in the mornings only.

Supper is provided by an adjacent restaurant. No other meals.

For breakfast and lunch (and supper) there is the Glacier Highland restaurant within easy walking distance. Recommended!

Staff at Belton Chalet is very helpful.

P.S. We also stayed two nights at the Izaak Walton Inn about 25 miles to the east off Hwy 2.

Too bad about no meals at the Belton Chalet. I was looking into a trip there as a bit of a retreat, but with my COPD, the prospect of having to walk to get something to eat isn't appealing. I've been to the IWI a couple of times, and was looking for a change.