Savannah, GA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I don't go to Charleston, I might hit Savannah instead. How is station access to the highlights? Any must sees in Savannah, GA?
I took the #98 from STP-SAV for my 60th B-Day last year. Cabs were waiting at the station. I had reservations in the Savannah Historic District (The Inn at Ellis Square), across the street from the River Walk. Ellis Square is right next to Market Street, which is full of Arts,Crafts,Restaurants,Bars, Trolley Stops (highly reccomended,even an old Train Museum is along the trolley route)), Paula Deans Restaurant, & much much more. I took a Luncheon Cruise on a River Boat on my B-Day. Hell, by writing this I've talked myself into going back!!! It's a very nice place to have a relaxing get away!!!

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
In June 2012 I visited the Georgia State Railroad Museum, aka, the Roundhouse Railroad Museum which, according to the museum...

...is believed to be the largest and most complete Antebellum railroad repair facility still in existence in the world!
If you like trains :rolleyes: its worth a visit.

It is located in Savannah and is not too far of a walk from downtown. HERE is a link.

In June 2012 I visited the Georgia State Railroad Museum, aka, the Roundhouse Railroad Museum which, according to the museum...

...is believed to be the largest and most complete Antebellum railroad repair facility still in existence in the world!
If you like trains :rolleyes: its worth a visit.

It is located in Savannah and is not too far of a walk from downtown. HERE is a link.
I took a trolley around Historic Savannah & hopped off at the stop across the street. Enjoyed it very much!!!

I dropped in there on Sunday, renewed my membership. First time I ever took one of their tours. The docent was very good. We were a small group, about ten with two small boys. Toured the two executive cars, blacksmith shops and steam power areas, and ran the handcar. Only the ladies and the children did the handcar...the men preferred to watch. It had been a while since I visited, and they move things around frequently. They have a really extensive children's museum too, if you are traveling with kids.

IMGP0019.jpg

GEDC0003.jpg

GEDC0007.jpg

GEDC0008.jpg

GEDC0011.jpg

GEDC0026.jpg

GEDC0014.jpg

GEDC0017.jpg

The largest steam locomotive is not is working condition, and they don't have any plans to restore it because they don't have the track to run it on. Their short train rides have to be around the property, as they don't have any track connections to the outside. All of the cars/engines arrive on flatbed trucks. The oldest car is a coach from 1878, and not yet fully restored. The derelict coach pictures has a date scrawled in one of the oval window openings of 1911, but they think it may be older.

Back