Charleston, SC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about taking the train to Charleston, SC later this month from Philly. I've heard it is a nice town. Anything to do? Is it easy to get around without a car?
Nice trip Chris! The station is pretty far from "town",(and not in the best part of town either!-the calling times arent the best with the Palmeto arriving around 715PM and the Meteor arriving @ 5:00Amish, perhaps the Rent Car people would meet you (Enterprise) or a taxi should get you to a rent car place!) Id think getting a car is your best bet! The fancy old Houses and Buildings in Charleston are worth touring! (Good to see you in DFW this weekend, thanks for Volunteering on the Anniversary Train!!!)An alternative, similar, is Savannah,GA.Of the two, I think Savannah is prettier but Charleston is nice!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Charleston a couple of months ago - at the time of the Spoleto Festival. I took the Palmetto. Someone picked me up at the station but I managed to get there for departure by local bus without any problem. I got around town for a week without a car just fine. Charleston is a very bike friendly town.

I was pretty disappointed with my visit. The city was inundated with tourists, rather like Fisherman's Wharf or even Disneyland. It got really old really fast. I expect to like Savannah better - but I'm from GA. :)

The best time to visit is springtime. The azaleas will be in full bloom in the early part of that season. While downtown is tourist heavy, try some of the outlying towns like Summerville, or one of the Ashley river plantations. You could try some of the B&B accommodations in Summerville.

Back