Need Opinions from Everybody

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewliner

Engineer
I'm going to be buying a new H.O. AEM-7 and am not sure which one to pick. I'd like to know from everyone whether you think I should go for:

amt907b.jpg

or

amt921d.jpg

or

3. look around for a locomitive like:

amt901a.jpg

In a different road number, as I already have a model of #901.

Thanks for your opinions.

This is just my opinion, so feel free to totally ignore me. If your #901 is in the Phase III paint that the bottom picture shows, I'd go for the Phase IV paint that #921 shows. This way, you'll have an AEM-7 to match your Viewliners (we all know that you have a bunch of them ;) ), plus you'll be able to decide which paint scheme you feel like putting at the head end instead of being stuck with one choice (Phase III).

Have you found the first two?

What brand?

How much?

What kind of layout do you have?

I like the first one, it has that "Euro-trash" look. B)

I like the third one with the flat face! It looks more like an old bus than a train, though. :lol:

I'd probably go with phase IV, since paint commonality is something Amtrak is not known for and I'm all for realism. Also, phase V on the Sweedish meatballs makes them look like commuter locos, too plain.

Viewliner said:
Thanks, I thought they're called "toasters".
I've never heard them called that but I'll take your word for it that they are. I've heard the "sweedish meatball" name thrown about here and there over the years and always found it funny. :)

I agree, I'd go with Phase IV and probably will, unless I see a phase III (possibly #911) on ebay between now an the next time I go to the hobby shop.

Viewliner, I'm not sure if you've bid over e-bay before, but from mine and frreinds experiences it's just not the way to go. It is very tricky and you have to give out a lot of information. You also need to be extremely careful about the products condition. It may say "good condidtion" and it may even have a picture, but be VERY cautious. I thought I saw a Phase III one that Walthers was selling on their site. It was #901.

Okay, Alan I've bid on (and won) two Phase III Amfleets and a Poster, plus some stuff from my mom. Chances are that I won't by my AEM-7 there, but may buy an ANF-Turbo at auction (if I can't get it I'll go for my P-42).

I won't get a #901, because its the one Amtrak locomotive I have. I know a place in NYC that has a Phase III (no number) but I'm going to a local hobby shop for a Phase IV AEM-7 most likely.

Thanks for the warning, I don't bid on anything without my dad seeing and understanding the item but will be careful.

So Alan, Jets, Giants or Neither?

Have any of you experienced fraud on ebay?

My mom did so she won't let me bid anything. She tried to get some sort of excersise machine (WHY!!!) and she didn't win, but somehow her adress and credit card number got out and caused lots have problems. Congrats on your wins though!!!!
Jets and Giants SUCK!!!!!! :p

Viewliner said:
Okay, Alan I've bid on (and won) two Phase III Amfleets and a Poster, plus some stuff from my mom. Chances are that I won't by my AEM-7 there, but may buy an ANF-Turbo at auction (if I can't get it I'll go for my P-42).
I won't get a #901, because its the one Amtrak locomotive I have. I know a place in NYC that has a Phase III (no number) but I'm going to a local hobby shop for a Phase IV AEM-7 most likely.

Thanks for the warning, I don't bid on anything without my dad seeing and understanding the item but will be careful.

So Alan, Jets, Giants or Neither?

Huh? I didn't say anything about ebay or bidding.

I've heard a few horror stories about ebay, however most people seem to be satisfied. Make sure that you check out any ratings that are available, and if possible pay by credit card or paypal.

As for football, I don't follow it very much these days. Years ago back when I still lived in NJ, my favorite team was the Dolphins. In fact my Dolphins hat came in handy one day while skiing in a fog. I was up a Sugerbush Vermont, with two friends of mine. We got to the top of the mountain, and couldn't see more than about 6 feet.

Thankfully I knew the trail well, even though my friends didn't. So I went first and they followed my orange hat down the mountain. :) It was pretty funny. :D

Amfleet said:
My mom did so she won't let me bid anything. She tried to get some sort of excersise machine (WHY!!!) and she didn't win, but somehow her adress and credit card number got out and caused lots have problems. Congrats on your wins though!!!!
Jets and Giants SUCK!!!!!! :p
Thanks, one was a Metroliner Service lounge #43306. :) :)

Another gave me an Acela Poster from the Acela, and one promoting the high speed service starting in 1999.

Its safe to say we agree that the Giants Suck, but those Patriots defy the laws of physics by both sucking and blowing at the same time. :lol: :lol:

The Jets with Pennington are awesome, and despite your belief that the Jets Suck (although they don't) I don't see those Patriots in the Playoffs.

Its safe to say we agree that the Giants Suck, but those Patriots defy the laws of physics by both sucking and blowing at the same time.
Oh no you did not just say that. The Patriots will return and they will kick a**!
Thanks, one was a Metroliner Service lounge #43306.
Was this an origional Metroliner with the phantagraph or a specially decaled Walthers model?

Amfleet said:
Its safe to say we agree that the Giants Suck, but those Patriots defy the laws of physics by both sucking and blowing at the same time.
Oh no you did not just say that. The Patriots will return and they will kick a**!
Thanks, one was a Metroliner Service lounge #43306.
Was this an origional Metroliner with the phantagraph or a specially decaled Walthers model?
I hate to say it, but I think Amtrak has a better chance of getting extra funding. :lol: I'm making all of my posts in Green to show my NY Jets Pride.

As for the model, its a separately decaled (Microscale?) Amfleet I food service car. I hope to get the MU's in the near future.

I used to buy a lot of the model police cars I collect off of E-bay until one of the people I bought from regularly began selling to me through his website. I also bought my cell-phone new off of Ebay. Before that I always check feedback ratings, noting the negative feedback number, then actually searching for the feedback and reading it as some of it is from petty stuff. As they say Let the buyer beware.

As for football...I bleed gangreen, I lived a couple of miles from their practice facility at Hofstra and Pennington's prooved very good for the offense. That said I also root for teams with players who went to Alabama (especially teams with players who went there when I was) thus I want the Giants to win, and even though they are not in the playoffs I root for Seattle and Shaun Alexander (who the Giants should have picked over Ron Dayne). As for the Pats last year what's that saying...It's better to be lucky than good (just ask the Raider Nation) :) :) :)

Opps, ignore the Guest post. Well anyway I think you should go with the one you like best(personally I find phase VI quite dull).

Viewliner said:
I check feedback as well. Jets all the way!!! I'm lucky enough to have Good Playoff Seats tomorrow. :)
So do I...right in front of my parent's nice new plasma televison and the wood stove (much better than a fireplace). Give Peyton "Tennessee Weenie" Manning a good ripping for me. Go JETS! :)

Back