PA Traveler

Pittsburgh PA

The inclines are highly recommended. Buy a day pass, take the bus to the Duquesne, ride up, enjoy the view, walk to the Monongahela, ride down, and take the light rail back downtown.

When visiting the Duquesne Incline, don't forget about the machine room. As of little over a year ago, one can observe it and the cables from a balcony. Look for the turnstile, which costs 50 cents to enter. It's nestled in the corner and not incredibly overt.

It's sad there haven't been any posts in this thread in 6 years, since I was thinking I might do a Pittsburgh Amtrak trip very soon. It's interesting the original post didn't mention(as I'd been doing research on Pittsburgh, for whenever I finally do this trip soon) that there's an Andy Warhol museum, and ditto with one for Roberto Clemente.

Just posting here, since maybe for all I know it'd revive interest in this forgotten thread? :) Who knows, though I cross fingers that it would help get this thread some needed life.

You must have been inspired by them doing the NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt live from here, last Thursday.... ;)

Actually, I did NOT see that Lester Holt segment whatsoever. As it is, I hardly ever catch the nightly news at 5:30pm central time, like I used to years ago. A video clip link to whatever you're talking about where Lester was filming in Pittsburgh, please? Or at least describe what Lester was filming about, for that news in Pittsburgh. Thanks.

Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier....if you're still watching, here you go...

It's sad there haven't been any posts in this thread in 6 years, since I was thinking I might do a Pittsburgh Amtrak trip very soon. It's interesting the original post didn't mention(as I'd been doing research on Pittsburgh, for whenever I finally do this trip soon) that there's an Andy Warhol museum, and ditto with one for Roberto Clemente.

Just posting here, since maybe for all I know it'd revive interest in this forgotten thread? :) Who knows, though I cross fingers that it would help get this thread some needed life.

You must have been inspired by them doing the NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt live from here, last Thursday.... ;)

Actually, I did NOT see that Lester Holt segment whatsoever. As it is, I hardly ever catch the nightly news at 5:30pm central time, like I used to years ago. A video clip link to whatever you're talking about where Lester was filming in Pittsburgh, please? Or at least describe what Lester was filming about, for that news in Pittsburgh. Thanks.

Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier....if you're still watching, here you go...

Thanks for posting a link to that video! It was interesting to watch, even if it was mainly about worries of gentrification and the tech boom there. FYI the Pittsburgh segments in this video are from 11:00 to 14:15 and 15:59 to the end, if you want to go straight to watching those PGH news segments.

Oh yeah, and looking back to my Pittsburgh trip I wish I had spent the 50 cents to briefly look in that machine/mechanical room of the Duquesne Incline. :( At least I did remember(thanks to google street view research I did before that trip) to walk a few blocks northwest on Grandview Ave, to a point where you got a clearer view of where the Alleghany and Monogahalia(sp?) Rivers combine together to become the Ohio River. I'll remember to go into that room next time I'm in PGH, though. WAY, WAYYYYY overdue to post a travelogue report about my Chicago-Pittsburgh Amtrak trip in that specific forum section, but don't worry such a post is coming soon. Even if sigh, I wish I'd done it sooner and not 2.5 months late....

T

h

e i

nclines are highly recommended. Buy a day pass, take the bus to the Duquesne, ride up, enjoy the view, walk to the Monongahela, ride down, and take the light rail back downtown.

When visiting the Duquesne Incline, don't forget about the machine room. As of little over a year ago, one can observe it and the cables from a balcony. Look for the turnstile, which costs 50 cents to enter. It's nestled in the corner and not incredibly overt.

Edited by dogbert617