VIA bedroom fares

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald M

Train Attendant
Looking at VIA sleeper fares, it shows economy bedroom an d just bedroom for 1 or 2 persons. What is the difference between the two other than a slighly lower price?

VIA does not have any accommodation known as an "Economy Bedroom". On the VIA web booking engine "Economy" refers to Economy Class, AKA coach.

On Budd equipment (Canadian, Gaspe and Churchill trains) there are the following types of sleeping accommodation:

• Upper and lower berths (i.e. Pullman style berth accommodation)

• Cabin for 1 (i.e. a Roomette containing one berth and an in-room toilet)

• Cabin for 2(i.e. a Double Bedroom with upper and lower berths, and toilet annex)

• Cabin for 3 (i.e. A Drawing Room with two lowers, one upper and a toilet annex).

On the Canadian there is only Sleeper Touring Cass, which includes meals and access to the activity cars/Park Car. The other trains offer Sleeper Class, where meals are extra.

On the Renaissance equipment (Ocean train from Montreal to Halifax) there are two types of accommodation:

• Bedroom (Upper and lowers with toilet annex)

• Bedroom with shower (the same, but the toilet contains a shower like an Amtrak bedroom).

In the summer there are two types of classes on the Ocean, i.e. Sleeper (no meals included) and Sleeper Touring (meals and access to the Park Care included).

The VIA website provides information on each type including pictures and descriptions.

Following airline practice, in all cases there are advance purchase discount fares, which have cancellation penalties and/or change fees. Full fare allow changes up until departure.

Looking at VIA sleeper fares, it shows economy bedroom an d just bedroom for 1 or 2 persons. What is the difference between the two other than a slighly lower price?
Havent looked in a while, but I believe it has something to do with cancellation policies!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're referring to the price for a bedroom for one vs. the price for a bedroom for two -- note that the price for the bedroom for two may be the per-person price. Amtrak lists the price per room, while VIA Rail lists it per person.

The 75 per cent fares are a great deal but you would need to act very quickly when they are posted. The summer Canadian consists are very large (long). I assume that the consists are smaller in the fall and winter. Can any tell me what they look like and when they change?

The 75 per cent fares are a great deal but you would need to act very quickly when they are posted. The summer Canadian consists are very large (long). I assume that the consists are smaller in the fall and winter. Can any tell me what they look like and when they change?
Thanx, how often do they do this????

Thanx, how often do they do this????
Now that it is Fall, they seem to be coming up pretty frequently.

Back