? about train travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chip

Hi all :D I'm within 3 weeks of making my first train trip. Is this the forum to ask what are basic questions about train travel and if not can you direct me to a site?

Hi all  I'm within 3 weeks of making my first train trip. Is this the forum to ask what are basic questions about train travel and if not can you direct me to a site?
If that train is Amtrak, then this is the place. Ask away.

Try to give the group as much info as you can, which train, from where to where, coach, sleeper, etc. Many will probably have answers.

Chip said:
Hi all :D I'm within 3 weeks of making my first train trip. Is this the forum to ask what are basic questions about train travel and if not can you direct me to a site?
Chip,

As Mr Fss mentioned, this is indeed the place to ask questions about train travel. Even if it isn't on Amtrak, we may be able to help you out.

If indeed you are about to travel on Amtrak, then you might want to first check out these hints and tips from On Track On Line. They may answer many questions that you have and what they don't answer, then please feel free to ask us and we'll do our best to answer. :)

AlanB & MrFSS

Thanks. The referral to the Q & A answered most of the questions I had.

WE are taking the Lakeshore to Chicago then the Empire Builder to Glacier National Park. I reserved sleeping rooms. As I wasn't sure what I was getting I have Family room on the way out and Regular Rooms on the way back. My concern was with luggage and should I carry-on my bags or check them ? The Q&A convinces me its like airlines and I should carry-on only what will fit under the seat ..... If thats wrong let me know.

We are looking forward to this trip and our first train expeirence.

How many people are traveling with you?

Since you're in a sleeping car (I'm guessing for all segments of the trip, though that wasn't clear), you can bring a bit more stuff on than you could in a coach. You might be able to keep an extra bag or two in the room with you (as long as it isn't overly huge).

The Empire Builder operates with bi-level Superliner equipment, and has a large baggage rack on the lower level (immediately adjacent the boarding door, across from the stairs). You can fit quite a bit there, though you should be considerate of other passengers and not hog all the space for yourself. If you're not traveling with everything and the kitchen sink, this should be no problem.

In fact, I've only checked bags on Amtrak a couple of times, and I've never had a problem with my carryons the other times I've traveled.

With that, I should note that Amtrak's "official" policy is to limit carryons to two bags. Crews can be lenient about this, especially if you're in a sleeper.

It will just my bride of 30 years and me. This is our anniv. trip. We each will have one standard piece of luggage and a carry-on bag. I've heard both I can and cannot take this in our sleepers.

Next Question is if we Check our luggage do we need retreive it in Chicago or is it transferrred for us to the Empire Builder?

Chip said:
Next Question is if we Check our luggage do we need retreive it in Chicago or is it transferrred for us to the Empire Builder?
You may check your bags all the way to Glacier Park. They will transfer your bags for you in Chicago.

Do this: Bring a smaller suitcase for you change of clothes on the train, along with toilettries, etc. You can also bring a bag of books and other things to do. Check your other bags if you need to. It's a good idea if you have alota stuff, and you don't wanna lug it around the stations. Just make sure you have everything you need in your carry ons.

Hope you have a fun trip.

Chris

Also, since you'll be traveling in sleepers, don't forget to take advantage of Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago. That lounge offers a place to store your carry-ons before you board your next train, and also provides free soft drinks, plus comfortable lounge chairs and couches to sit in while you wait (that is, if you choose to stay in the station during your connection.

If you decide to leave for a while, be sure to be back to the station by 1:30 PM (when traveling westbound; I forget when the Lake Shore Limited leaves Chicago, but you should be be back at least 30-45 minutes before the train is scheduled to depart).

rmadisonwi said:
If you decide to leave for a while, be sure to be back to the station by 1:30 PM (when traveling westbound; I forget when the Lake Shore Limited leaves Chicago, but you should be be back at least 30-45 minutes before the train is scheduled to depart).
The lounge will actually tell you when you have to be back in the lounge for boarding. However it's more like 45 minutes to one hour. Especially for the east bound Lake Shore, which as we discovered two weeks ago, now boards at least 50 minuted before departure.

They do this now since the train leaves Chicago so late, that they start serving dinner to the sleeping car passengers before the train ever leaves the station. We were already eating our main course before the train pulled out.

AlanB said:
They do this now since the train leaves Chicago so late, that they start serving dinner to the sleeping car passengers before the train ever leaves the station.  We were already eating our main course before the train pulled out.
That must be a fairly new policy (either that, or one that isn't consistently followed).

When I rode the Lake Shore in January, the train departed about a half hour late (crew rest issues). Despite that, we still weren't called to dinner until the train was in Indiana.

rmadisonwi said:
...but you should be be back at least 30-45 minutes before the train is scheduled to depart.
AlanB said:
...The lounge will actually tell you when you have to be back in the lounge for boarding. However it's more like 45 minutes to one hour.
Is this a requirement? If you are not checking baggage (and the OP's bags would already have been checked at the origin), is there a reason you cannot simply walk into the station and onto the train?

The Metropolitan Lounge is also a good place to store your carry-ons if you are going to leave the station and walk around the city.

Every staffed station I've been to has stored bags for us so we don't have to lug them around. I think this is Amtrak policy and costs like a buck a bag if I remember correctly. I have checked bags several times and never lost anything. Airlines usually use an automated belt system and then it gets moved to carts--bottom line is that it's a somewhat complicated process with alot of hands in it (not to mention TSA) with alot of flights at the hubs and misshandling is a real possiblility. Since Amtrak has less going on an stuff is handled by hand for the most part, it's rare to have a problem.

PRR 60 said:
rmadisonwi said:
...but you should be be back at least 30-45 minutes before the train is scheduled to depart.
AlanB said:
...The lounge will actually tell you when you have to be back in the lounge for boarding. However it's more like 45 minutes to one hour.
Is this a requirement? If you are not checking baggage (and the OP's bags would already have been checked at the origin), is there a reason you cannot simply walk into the station and onto the train?
Assuming that they have no bags being held in the lounge baggage area, then officially you are correct, they could just walk up to the gate and board. Still need to be there at least 5 minutes before departure and 10 would be better as they sometimes cut off the gate at the 10 minute mark.

However with the new dining policy, they would miss the first call to the diner that way. At least for the LSL and the CONL. All other trains, that would not be an issue.

rmadisonwi said:
AlanB said:
They do this now since the train leaves Chicago so late, that they start serving dinner to the sleeping car passengers before the train ever leaves the station.  We were already eating our main course before the train pulled out.
That must be a fairly new policy (either that, or one that isn't consistently followed).

When I rode the Lake Shore in January, the train departed about a half hour late (crew rest issues). Despite that, we still weren't called to dinner until the train was in Indiana.
I was told, not sure if it's accurate, that this was effective starting July.

bmlock said:
Every staffed station I've been to has stored bags for us so we don't have to lug them around. I think this is Amtrak policy and costs like a buck a bag if I remember correctly. I have checked bags several times and never lost anything. Airlines usually use an automated belt system and then it gets moved to carts--bottom line is that it's a somewhat complicated process with alot of hands in it (not to mention TSA) with alot of flights at the hubs and misshandling is a real possiblility. Since Amtrak has less going on an stuff is handled by hand for the most part, it's rare to have a problem.
While typically inconsistant, like any Amtrak policy, be very, very careful with trying to day check bags now. Since the London bombings, most Amtrak stations will not hold your bag for you anymore.

We found this out the hard way during the OTOL Eagle Fest in St. Louis. :( Sadly one member of our group had to stay behind to watch all the rest of the group's bags.

Back