VentureForth

Chicago Dog

Guest Metra Electric Guest

The Signature Room, at the top of the Hancock Building, is only ok, but definitely unique for it's views. You might look up our local restaurant review tv show, Check, Please! for current "hot spots" - there really is a lot to choose from in Chicago, so it depends on your taste and budget and how far from downtown you want to go.

I've got an overnight layover in Chicago the 12/13 of this month. Looking for a good, inexpensive coffee/sandwich shop to wile away about 6-7 hours while enjoying a good book. Close to Union station preferred.

Edited by Grayewolf

I've got an overnight layover in Chicago the 12/13 of this month. Looking for a good, inexpensive coffee/sandwich shop to wile away about 6-7 hours while enjoying a good book. Close to Union station preferred.

You can't go wrong by heading for the Hostel International on Congress,( a few blocks East close to Michigan Ave and State Street, Google it up) they have a nice cafe in the lobby with great Cuban sandwiches and coffee drinks and a block away is the Harold Washington Main Library which is a fantastic place to visit and hangout!

There are several Colleges and trade schools in the area and a Barnes and Noble Bookstore with a Starbucks is close by just around the corner on State Street!

Edited by jimhudson

You can't go wrong by heading for the Hostel International on Congress,( a few blocks East close to Michigan Ave and State Street, Google it up) they have a nice cafe in the lobby with great Cuban sandwiches and coffee drinks and a block away is the Harold Washington Main Library which is a fantastic place to visit and hangout!

There are several Colleges and trade schools in the area and a Barnes and Noble Bookstore with a Starbucks is close by just around the corner on State Street!

Sounds like he's looking for some place open late, if not all night. That's my interpretation of his "overnight layover" / "6-7 hours"

Heh, HI Chicago is actually where I am staying overnight. By 6-7 hours I meant between 11am checkout and the time the Cardinal leaves.

Edited by Grayewolf

The HI will hold your bags for you after checkout, not sure of any charge, it used to be free, until time to head for Union Station. Since you're already in the area the places I mentioned should be of interest! The desk people @ the Hostel are very good @ recommending places to see, things to do in Chicago so sounds like you're all set! Have a nice trip and let us know how it goes!

Edited by jimhudson

Will do. I catch the EB here Monday evening and get to Chi-Town Wednesday ... some time. Emailed the HI Chi about the traisn delays etc and am assured my booking is good no matter what time the EB pulls in. Of course with all the freight delays staying overnight was my only option so I need to kill time Thursday until it's time to catch the cardinal down to Charlottesville then the crescent to Atlanta.

Twin Anchors in Old Town is a noted, but in some ways underknown, rib place and tavern worth a visit. It's about a block and a half from the Sedgewick L stop, just down the block from the 72 North Ave bus, and the 37 stops at the corner by the door.

Second City is nearby, also.

Someone mentioned it but I just wanted to second Portillo's.

I've certainly read about Hot Doug's and seen them featured on cable TV shows. They're mostly known for their exotic meats, the foie gras topped dog, and their fries cooked in duck fat.

The owner closed Hot Doug's down, in October 2014. :( Two of the cooks that worked at Hot Doug's opened Hot G Dog, and I'd recommend going there if you visit Chicago, and miss Hot Doug's. A lot of the menu items are still on the menu, at Hot G Dog. It's on Clark Street, just north of Saint Boniface Cemetery and Lawrence Ave.

Another option(if you don't mind that it's super expensive to get a bleacher seat at Wrigley Field, so you'll probably be fine opting for the former) is to sit in the bleachers during a Cubs game, and eat at the stand Doug Sohn set up there. Just don't try to sneak into the bleachers if you have a ticket to a different part of Wrigley, since unlike other stadiums(i.e. Sox Park/Comiskey/refuse to say naming rights name, where it's easy to sneak into that part of the stadium from other parts of the lower deck) they do very strictly check who is entering into the bleacher part of the stadium. :( The menu is supposedly tiny, and nowhere near the number of food options you can order at Hot G Dog.

if your at union station

near by on clark street is royal pawn shop

hardcore pawn chicago on tru-tv a fun place to visit between trains

I remember that show, and for whatever reason I always thought the pawn shop that was in the Detroit area(which they had more episodes of) seemed more interesting of those 2 shops. Maybe I'll check Royal Pawn Shop out someday once, just to say I visited.

And for the poster who was asking about 24/7 diners near Chicago Union Station, the White Palace Grill at Roosevelt and Canal is probably the closest one to there. It's an easy Uber/Lyft ride south from CUS.

Hey, I know I'm a little late but in case there are some fellows still subscribing this thread, Downtown Dogs serves the best hotdog in Chicago :)