Another chance to ride private varnish

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ispolkom

Engineer
Due to a last-minute cancellation, the Friends of the 261 have 20 seats available on 2 private cars that will run from St. Paul to Chicago on the #8 Empire Builder on May 19, returning to St. Paul on the #7 Empire Builder on May 22. The two cars this time are the ex-Milwaukee Road Super Dome and the MKT 403, an observation/business car. This is a cheap chance to ride two uncrowded private cars with meals and beverages included. Details here: http://261.com/excursions/

I'd jump on this if it weren't for my work schedule.

Due to a last-minute cancellation, the Friends of the 261 have 20 seats available on 2 private cars that will run from St. Paul to Chicago on the #8 Empire Builder on May 19, returning to St. Paul on the #7 Empire Builder on May 22. The two cars this time are the ex-Milwaukee Road Super Dome and the MKT 403, an observation/business car. This is a cheap chance to ride two uncrowded private cars with meals and beverages included. Details here: http://261.com/excursions/

I'd jump on this if it weren't for my work schedule.
Thanks for the tip! I'm looking into going o/w CHI to MSP!

Update: I'M BOOKED!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was considering this rare opportunity, however, since I would be connecting from LA via PDX I am worried how the flood disruptions might impact my trip. (And I'd have to fly back home since I do not have miles for a return trip..)

I was considering this rare opportunity, however, since I would be connecting from LA via PDX I am worried how the flood disruptions might impact my trip. (And I'd have to fly back home since I do not have miles for a return trip..)
The cars will be attached to the Empire Builder, so you would be no later into Chicago on the private varnish than you would have been if you stayed in the Amtrak cars, if you were already traveling on that train. One note, though, you can't move from the private cars to the Amtrak cars, since Superliners have high vestibules, and the Super Dome has a regular vestibule.

The cars will be attached to the Empire Builder, so you would be no later into Chicago on the private varnish than you would have been if you stayed in the Amtrak cars, if you were already traveling on that train. One note, though, you can't move from the private cars to the Amtrak cars, since Superliners have high vestibules, and the Super Dome has a regular vestibule.
Thanks for clarifying that; I guess I was more worried about missing my connection in PDX from the CS, or missing my ORD-LAX flight (departs at 8:40pm) if the EB would happen to be horribly late. But since life is not made for worrying all the time, I am now booked on the MSP-CHI portion and looking forward to it! :)

Now, if someone could help me with a quick question about ORD - would it be easier to take a Metra train from CUS to O'hare (how far is that station from the airport / are there shuttles available?) or is it easier to walk a couple of blocks to the subway station and take the subway to the airport?

Now, if someone could help me with a quick question about ORD - would it be easier to take a Metra train from CUS to O'hare (how far is that station from the airport / are there shuttles available?) or is it easier to walk a couple of blocks to the subway station and take the subway to the airport?
The Metra station is in one of the remote parking lots at O'Hare -- from the station, you take an airport shuttle bus to connect to the airport people mover, which will take you to the appropriate terminal. It's reasonably easy, given that you don't have to leave CUS to get to the Metra train; the drawback is that it's more expensive than the 'L' (although the difference is only $4.00 vs. $2.25) and departure times are more limited, although that shouldn't be an issue on a Thursday afternoon (here's the schedule -- all trains up to 6:00 would get you to O'Hare in plenty of time for an 8:40 flight; the 7:00 would probably be pushing it).

The Metra station is in one of the remote parking lots at O'Hare -- from the station, you take an airport shuttle bus to connect to the airport people mover, which will take you to the appropriate terminal. It's reasonably easy, given that you don't have to leave CUS to get to the Metra train; the drawback is that it's more expensive than the 'L' (although the difference is only $4.00 vs. $2.25) and departure times are more limited, although that shouldn't be an issue on a Thursday afternoon (here's the schedule -- all trains up to 6:00 would get you to O'Hare in plenty of time for an 8:40 flight; the 7:00 would probably be pushing it).
Thank you, trainman74! :hi:

Today's #8 is scheduled to arrive in CHI at 7:02pm lol. Hopefully that won't be so bad on my trip, or I'll have to ask them to make an unscheduled stop at MKA :)

Cristian... Great trip report and photos :cool: :cool: :cool: Sounds pretty nice! :lol: I'll be sure to say 'Hi' to the crew for you. Time to go pack, etc...

Davy

Back