Philadelphia, PA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acela150

Super Buff
Philadelphia has plenty to offer! We offer Independence Hall, The Constitution Center, The First Post Office (which is still functional today!), Reading Terminal Market which is a place that offers plenty of food and treats and some Amish food to (Certain days of the week though)!, The fire museum is something to see too. The Penn Museum in University City is one of the better things to see in University City. If your looking for night life then IMO head to the Fairmont section of the city always good bars there and the cabs are frequent there. Also in Fairmont at 22nd and Fairmont is The Eastern State Penitentiary. If you visit during Halloween time they have ghost tours! 30th Street Station where you arrive by Amtrak is one of Amtrak's better stations! A decent food court and you can listen to the boarding announcer's call out trains while you wait. Overall Visit Philly! If you want a decent adventure and have money to spare on a rental car head to the Jersey Shore! Ocean City is my favorite place to hang! Wildwood has rides! Cape May has nice restaurants! The ride to the shore can be about an hour to an hour and a half and does have tolls! Overall there's plenty to do in Philly!

took my daughter to the zoo many years ago by city bus from Society Hill. It was easy and the zoo was great. Also took the water taxi across to Camden NJ to the aquarium and had a great time there too. Of course this was many years ago, I hope they are still nice destinations. Ate at Bookbinders, too, which I believe has since closed.

I spent a couple of days in Philadelphia in late February/early March, and the aquarium indeed was still there, although limited hours in the 'winter season'. Most of the tourist places close by 5 until the first of March, so that may factor into visits there. I did the numerous tourist things, and I spent the money on a shuttle tour of the city (unfortunately I can't remember the name of the shuttle company); they have a booth in the Independendence Visitors Center. The tour is a hop on/hop off type deal, and makes something like 20-25 stops around the city, even out to see the 'rocky' statue! I'm sure someone will be able to provide the name of the shuttle company before I'm able to find it upstairs myself. If not, once I get it, I'll add it to the post.

Aloha

Macy's, former Wanamaker store has an increadable pipe organ in it's great hall that is played on a regular bases. This was used in the film

Mannequin

The pipe organ in Macy's is outstanding. My Mom could stand in Macy's for a whole day listening to it. :giggle: There is an Eagle in that Great Hall and there is a Phrase "Meet me at the Eagle" that used to be tossed around. Also should be noted that during Christmas time there is a light show that can been seen I believe every hour on the hour that lasts about 20 minutes that is great! I see it every year! Well worth it! Make a trip to Macy's at City Hall!

Just recently took a trip to Philadelphia and took SEPTA and NJ Transit back to New York Penn Station. For 17.00 one way It was not that bad.

Inside SEPTA Train -

inside SEPTA TRAIN by squirrel83, on Flickr

I clocked the NJT train speed -

NJ Transit Train SPeed Screenshot by squirrel83, on Flickr

Philadelphia Amtrak Station Photo -

Spirit of Transportation by squirrel83, on Flickr

Philadelphia Amtrak Information by squirrel83, on Flickr

Here is a link to some photos Philadelphia Flickr Album

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fixin' to take my fam to PHL in March. Will try to make the requisite Independence Hall, City Hall, Liberty Bell, Macy's visit. If time permits, I would like to take a scenic, safe and fun PCC streetcar ride. We'll be coming in around 10 AM and leaving around 7 PM so we'll be pressed for time. Any suggestions?

Buy a Septa FAMILY independence pass. Unlimited rides. The PCC's run on the Route 15. Best way there from PHL is the "El" to Girard and hop on the 15. The "El" will also take you to 5th and Market which is where you can get off and see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, etc. 15th is for City Hall.

For the transit oriented, Philly also has much to offer. The Market Street trolley subway is one of the oldest of its kind in the world.

It has four tracks with the the trolleys running on the outer tracks and serving all stops, whereas the inner tracks are used by express trains of the Market Frankford line.

The trolley lines fan out in the west and serve different destinations. I have't managed to do all those routes yet and plan to come back in the future.

Of course the number 15 streetcar with its refurbished PCCs along Girard is also worth doing.

Some of the neighborhoods served looked a bit dodgy to me so I didn't tgake any risks and stuck to the trolleys, but other areas were quite pleasant and I walked around a bit and took photos.

For the transit oriented, Philly also has much to offer. The Market Street trolley subway is one of the oldest of its kind in the world.

It has four tracks with the the trolleys running on the outer tracks and serving all stops, whereas the inner tracks are used by express trains of the Market Frankford line.

The trolley lines fan out in the west and serve different destinations. I have't managed to do all those routes yet and plan to come back in the future.

Of course the number 15 streetcar with its refurbished PCCs along Girard is also worth doing.

Some of the neighborhoods served looked a bit dodgy to me so I didn't tgake any risks and stuck to the trolleys, but other areas were quite pleasant and I walked around a bit and took photos.
080517.65.jpg

080517.30.jpg

080517.42.jpg

080517.51.jpg

080517.53.jpg

Never heard of it... I've heard of the Market Frankfort EL and the Subway Surface Trolleys. But never "the market street trolley subway"
That's not how anyone in Philadelphia would refer to it, but that's a good general description of it -- a subway under Market Street through which trolleys travel.

Cleveland is having the Repubs the week before the Dems Philly Fest so you might want to avoid both the last two weeks of July!

I rememember what a mess it was in 2004 in NYC when the Repub Convention was held @ MSG/NYP!!!

Never heard of it... I've heard of the Market Frankfort EL and the Subway Surface Trolleys. But never "the market street trolley subway"
That's not how anyone in Philadelphia would refer to it, but that's a good general description of it -- a subway under Market Street through which trolleys travel.
As a Philadelphian trust me.. That's what it is.

As a Philadelphian trust me.. That's what it is.
Sorry if I stepped on anybody's toes. I was writing from memory and got the name wrong. No offence intended.

Thanks for the incredible information from all y'all (that's all youse guys for those of you North of DC).

I was quite confused for a minute or two - the map for #15 shows two Girard stations, but I think I figured it all out. I think it may be enjoyable to take the #10 from 30th St to Lancaster then the #15, cross the river, go to Girard station, then take the MFL back to 8th & Market. From there, walk the touristy stuff from there to Macy's to City Hall, then hop back on to the MFL to 30th.

Do any of the suburban trolley lines (101, 102) carry any interesting sight seeing?

VentureForth--just a couple of other tips:

If you get off at 8th and Market, to get to the historic district, walk two blocks to 6th and Market. Walking down 6th street, you will be walking along the historic area. Also, City Hall does timed tours and a security check if you want to go to the top, and the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are federal, so they do a security check also. If you are pressed for time, it might be best to choose just one of the three. (I would suggest Independence Hall--you can pretty much see the Philly skyline from Amtrak, and if you walk down 6th Street, you can see the Liberty Bell through the glass at the end of its building.)

If you are coming into 30th Street on Amtrak, the Travelers Aid booth can give you a nice map of the city. I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the trolleys (just SEPTA and the buses), but the Independence Pass suggested elsewhere is wonderful and could help save time. (You could take it back along Market Street to City Hall, for example, and save the time that walk would take.) Also, if you end up in Market East station for any reason, remember that it is now called Jefferson Station.

Finally, one more suggestion: come back again and stay longer! Philly is a nice day trip from where I live, and I never get tired of it!

VentureForth--just a couple of other tips:

If you get off at 8th and Market, to get to the historic district, walk two blocks to 6th and Market. Walking down 6th street, you will be walking along the historic area. Also, City Hall does timed tours and a security check if you want to go to the top, and the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are federal, so they do a security check also. If you are pressed for time, it might be best to choose just one of the three. (I would suggest Independence Hall--you can pretty much see the Philly skyline from Amtrak, and if you walk down 6th Street, you can see the Liberty Bell through the glass at the end of its building.)

If you are coming into 30th Street on Amtrak, the Travelers Aid booth can give you a nice map of the city. I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the trolleys (just SEPTA and the buses), but the Independence Pass suggested elsewhere is wonderful and could help save time. (You could take it back along Market Street to City Hall, for example, and save the time that walk would take.) Also, if you end up in Market East station for any reason, remember that it is now called Jefferson Station.

Finally, one more suggestion: come back again and stay longer! Philly is a nice day trip from where I live, and I never get tired of it!
If one gets off the El at 5th and market their at Independence Hall etc. Less of a walk. I'm not a fan of that Travelers Aid.. Their is sometimes an elderly gentleman who wants nothing to do with anyone. Also they point to the sign that states where the restrooms are. That "Jefferson Station" thing is a marketing ploy.. It's always Market East to anyone. Who wants to call it Jefferson after the Hospital?

Back