Austin, Texas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
:hi: When riding the SB Texas Eagle Out of the Austin Station, when it is On Time,

(6:30PM CT)the Train Crosses a Fairly High RailRoad Bridge Across Lady Bird Johnson Lake that has been there since 1888. If you Look to the Left Side of the Bridge as the Train Crosses You will See Millions of Mexican Free Tail Bats Flying Out from under the Ann Richards/Congrees St. Bridge! This is the Largest Colony of Bats in the US and is a Major Source of Tourism for Austin in the Spring and Summer! The Bats spend the Winter in Mexico!!

**Always wanted to be the First Poster on a Thread! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The bats set their alarm clocks for 6:30 PM. You know what they say "The early bird gets the worm (or insect)"!
mosking.gif

BTW - Bats are not birds, but mammals! The only mammal that can fly!

:hi: When riding the SB Texas Eagle Out of the Austin Station, when it is On Time,

(6:30PM CT)the Train Crosses a Fairly High RailRoad Bridge Across Lady Bird Johnson Lake
What does it do when it's not on time?

Do the bats not wait or maybe they have to be somewhere at 7PM.
The BATS are very well trained so they wait until all the Tour Boats on Lady Bird Lake are in position, that More High priced Drinks are served in the various High Dollar Cafes/Bars etc. along the Lake an if #21/#421 is late they Hold the Bat Ltd. until Dark, after that they have to take a bus!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jim can u give me a recommendation for a decent hotel

i will be in austin for Eeyore's birthday party the last weekend of april

for 4 nights i am taking the texas eagle from chicago

The bats set their alarm clocks for 6:30 PM. You know what they say "The early bird gets the worm (or insect)"!
mosking.gif

BTW - Bats are not birds, but mammals! The only mammal that can fly!
Aha! Without further qualification (i.e. only winged mammal that can fly), I submit that humans (as mammals) can fly - using crowded flying tubes with no ventilation and little space for relaxation. Not to mention that they must also submit to strange and senseless security rituals, lack of food choice and little scenery!

I'll add a couple of items here that might be helpful to some:

If you are departing northbound on the #22 at the Austin station and get the notification that the TE is going to be much later than expected and the vending machine isn't very appealing- you do have options nearby to grab a bite. There's an airstream trailer with coffee and crepes in the parking lot of the YMCA that's a quick 5 minute walk away. There's also a Whole Foods (has a good hot breakfast bar and tacos) and Starbucks in walking distance. I know for sleeping car passengers, Austin is usually last call for breakfast- but if it is late, you won't be eating until lunch.

If you are arriving southbound on the #21 and are a YMCA member, you have AWAY (Always Welcome At the Y) privileges, which allow you to use their facilities. Actually, even if you're not a member, you can get a guest pass at the front desk with a valid photo ID. The Townlake branch is next door to the AUS station. This is handy if you need to take a shower after a long ride in coach or you need to move your legs a bit. They also have a hot tub and steam room in case you just want to relax, too.

Excellent tips for Austin Rheavon!

Two blocks away to the East down the Tracks there is a Trader Joes.( watch for Freight Trains coming around the Bend when you cross the tracks and walk on the street past the many High Rise Condos)

Also on Lamar Blvd, across from Whole Foods, there is the 24 Diner, the Counter Cafe next door, and catty corner to that @ Book People there is a Cafe with Starbucks type fare at Lower Prices and excellent Reading Material for your Train ride!.

That's not only "a" Whole Foods, it's "THE" Whole Foods, as in the flagship store. I used to go in there just for entertainment when I also went to the the Y which was often. Not only is the store itself interesting with all it's restaurant-like stations, most of the employees look like models! Granted, this was 10 or so yrs ago now so they're likely not quite so toothsome </snark>.

Back