Ticketing System Outage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Court Jester
From Facebook:

On Sunday, April 17, 2011, Amtrak's Reservation and Ticketing system will undergo a major upgrade and will not be available for a portion of the day. During this period, Amtrak will have very limited ability to issue tickets, provide train status information, and create or modify reservations. Amtrak will not be able to accept credit card payments via the Internet, by telephone, or travel agency outlets and will have only limited ability at station ticket counters. In addition, Quik-Trak kiosks will be unavailable during this period.

Although we are taking measures to minimize the impact of this upgrade on your travel plans, we ask that you please arrange to purchase and pick up your tickets before Sunday. Please disregard this message if you already have your tickets. For additional information, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Thank you.
Wonder what the upgrade entails?

Talk about a double-edged sword. I'm hopeful for more advanced web access and the move toward cashless e-tickets, but also concerned about possible rule changes and mindful of the month-long AGR cleanup we recently witnessed.

why no details?? Typical...maybe if you give your customers some details (i.e. the great new functionality of the NEW ticketing on amtrak.com) people might not be annoyed when they can't log on.

I do not go on Facebook, and I'm sure many Amtrak riders do not. If I didn't see this posted here, and had a trip planned for that day, I would be mad as $#@* that I couldn't get my tickets!
mad.gif
How many times do we tell people "Don't print your tickets in advance. You can do so at the station on departure day."

If I were that person, and it was my first time on Amtrak, I probably would not chose Amtrak again!

They should email every single person with outstanding reservations that are registered web users regarding this. It would be pretty easy to do.

I just walked across the street and got my tickets for Sunday the 17th (I happen to be traveling that day) and all of my subsequent tickets for the rest of that week.

Thanks for the updated information. We will be in Washington DC on Sunday and planned to pick up our tickets at the station for our CL ride home to CLE. :rolleyes:

Guess we better get them printed early to avoid a very messed up day.\

I agree that more notice should be given via Email etc since some of us old fogies dont use Facebook. :giggle: :)

Thanks Ryan, will check the Amtrak page for further information.

Well, I'm travelling from CLE to NYP on Sunday with my family. Just received an automated phone call from AMTRAK telling me to pick up my tickets before Sunday. But, I can't take the time to travel 90 miles to Cleveland before Sunday. So, I am assuming the ticket counter will have some way to issue me tickets on Sunday morning despite the computer issue???

Well, I'm travelling from CLE to NYP on Sunday with my family. Just received an automated phone call from AMTRAK telling me to pick up my tickets before Sunday. But, I can't take the time to travel 90 miles to Cleveland before Sunday. So, I am assuming the ticket counter will have some way to issue me tickets on Sunday morning despite the computer issue???
I would call the Cleveland station before Sunday and have them print your tickets ahead of time and hold them until you arrive. Shouldn't be much of an issue.

I do not go on Facebook, and I'm sure many Amtrak riders do not. If I didn't see this posted here, and had a trip planned for that day,
Aloha

I also do not visit Facebook. I provide my Phone Number, E-mail and AGR Number with Amtrak and expect a direct notification of any changes beyond an hour of departure.

I just called Amtrak. They assured me that my ticket will be printed and waiting for me in Memphis when I get there Sunday.

Attempt to pay cash or sometimes the conducter will let you slide for a short trip......I say lets make April 17 a free day.

I would call the Cleveland station before Sunday and have them print your tickets ahead of time and hold them until you arrive. Shouldn't be much of an issue.
Excellent. Any idea how to find the phone number for the Cleveland Amtrak station?

I do not go on Facebook, and I'm sure many Amtrak riders do not. If I didn't see this posted here, and had a trip planned for that day,
Aloha

I also do not visit Facebook. I provide my Phone Number, E-mail and AGR Number with Amtrak and expect a direct notification of any changes beyond an hour of departure.
Thanks guys. I'm glad to know I'm not the only odd ball out there. :giggle: I put Facebook, Twitter, etc. in the get-a-life, just say no category. I don't waste what brain capacity I have left trying to figure out reason for a gut feel.

Aloha

Thanks guys. I'm glad to know I'm not the only odd ball out there. :giggle: I put Facebook, Twitter, etc. in the get-a-life, just say no category. I don't waste what brain capacity I have left trying to figure out reason for a gut feel.
Yet you don't put AU in the same category? interesting.

I used to think the same way, but it's amazing how much info is out there in both of those systems if you know the right places to look.
Indeed. I finally got onto Facebook, Twitter etc., when it became quite clear to me that if I intended to have a successful career in my chosen line, not being there creates a significant competitive disadvantage at the workplace! And after getting on I also discovered that not being there was also the source of certain significant disadvantages in my social life. Now actually it is the social life which is being more enhanced than the workplace life by Facebook. But there were at least three occasions when I learned something that proved to be of huge significance at the workplace, through the Facebook rumor mill, and was able to act to my advantage based on it. So at least I would not dismiss these new modes of interaction out of hand for my purposes. But of course it is everyone's choice for themselves.

I would note that while upgrades MAY go flawlessly and everything comes back up when it is supposed to.....

I worked in Aviation for years and this reminds me of...

The two weeks of choas at US Airways with missing reservations/tickets non functional computers etc. when they UPGRADED

The two days of choas at Continental with the same during an UPGRADE

and the same at Alaska, Hawaiian, United, American and many many many others during UPGRADES

I tend to go with a pre-printed paper ticket whenever I know about a system upgrade in advance for anything day of, or within a week.

Just my $.02

Any idea how to find the phone number for the Cleveland Amtrak station?
Online Yellow Pages worked for me -- quick search for "Amtrak" in "Cleveland, OH." (216) 696-5115.

However, you might try the regular 1-800-USA-RAIL number first and see what help they can give with your situation. There are reasons why you'll find that number on Amtrak.com, but not individual station phone numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back