Viewliner vs Superliner Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ciship

I have always traveled on Superliners, but will be in a roomette on the Silver Meteor to Orlando this summer. I just read that their is a toilet/basin in the roomette??? Based on my experience with the Superliner and the tiny space, I cannot imagine having a toilet in the already cramped sleeper space. I am also concerned about the smell in that enclosed room (hope the air conditioning works really well)? Anyone have experience with this?

I have a lot of experience in Silver Meteor roomettes. I personally like having a toilet in my room, but I travel alone. There are mixed thoughts on the in-room toilet. My guess is that women and people traveling alone seem to like it more.

To make room for the toilet one of the seats is more narrow. I usually sit in the larger seat so I do not have to sit next to the toilet. Also, the beds are made up so that your feet are at the toilet end. (the bed is more narrower at the foot of the bed).

It's been my experience, smell wise (other than of your own creation), you won't know that the toilet is there. Space wise, if travelling alone, you won't notice it either.

You may get a whiff or two walking through the hallway. The ventilation is very good.

I have always traveled on Superliners, but will be in a roomette on the Silver Meteor to Orlando this summer. I just read that their is a toilet/basin in the roomette??? Based on my experience with the Superliner and the tiny space, I cannot imagine having a toilet in the already cramped sleeper space. I am also concerned about the smell in that enclosed room (hope the air conditioning works really well)? Anyone have experience with this?
Never had a problem with smell but for two people, it is an inconvenience. One of us leaves the room for a while. The really inconvenient part is that there are no external toilets unless you walk through the sleepers, through the diner, through the lounge then try to find an open toilet in one of the coaches. Amtrak should have put one in the lounge, at least.

I am also concerned about the smell in that enclosed room (hope the air conditioning works really well)? Anyone have experience with this?
The ViewLiner toilet lid is tightly sealed by a rubber gasket( think of your refrigerator door gasket).The toilet uses a strong vacuum system too remove waste.I have never experienced any smell problems when the lid was closed.The lid is quite strong and is used as a step up to the upper bunk,foot rest and a storage shelf.

I have rode in Superliners less than Viewliner roomettes/Slumbercoach doubles. I have never left a room for my travel partner to use the facility, and if your travel partner is more than a friend, I will never understand. That being said, in recent years I haven't been able to use them- but I weigh over 300 lbs.

I particularly like the Viewliner roomettes, with their own, private, toilet. You are in completely control over having a clean toilet to use. I have seen too many common use toilets on the trains, in rather poor condition (not Amtrak's fault, just the pigs who used it previously).

Yea, with the two of us, one of us goes for a walk when it comes time to use the toilet. Actually, a welcome opportunity to stretch one's legs, and check out the scenery on the other side of the train.

Never had a problem with any smell.

I just had my first experience with Viewliner roomettes. While there was never an issue with smell and the sink was handy, neither Mrs. lyke99 or I got used to the idea of "making water" that close to upholstery.

We did enjoy the added light in the room with the two windows and the extra headroom in the upper bunk.

Many married people or couples traveling together have no problem with the Viewliner Roomette toilet. I assume that married people and dating couples have seen their partner in the buff before. There is really no need for one partner to leave the room for just a nighttime tinkle but if you really are that modest, just place a towel over your lap or keep the lights low. If someone happens to get a peek, whats the big deal? Now if I were traveling with a business associate, a relative or a friend of the same sex, that would be an entirely different story.

Is there any room for 2 regular size bags in a viewliner roommette? Is there space anywhere at the entrance to to car for luggage?

Is there any room for 2 regular size bags in a viewliner roommette? Is there space anywhere at the entrance to to car for luggage?
In general, yes. There's a slot above the hallway that can hold some luggage. Not quite sure if it can hold two carry-on-sized bags, but I think it can.

The only other place to store luggage would be in coach, unless your SCA finds a place.

edit, Why did the text of this post disappear ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only drawback I have seen to the Roomette toilet is you have to take time to pull shut all the curtains before you use it, or depending on where you are traveling, at least the Corridor Curtains. I always throw a travel pack of sanitizing wipes in my grip and give that bad boy a wipedown from the get-go to make sure it is clean.

Never had a problem with smell but for two people, it is an inconvenience. One of us leaves the room for a while. The really inconvenient part is that there are no external toilets unless you walk through the sleepers, through the diner, through the lounge then try to find an open toilet in one of the coaches. Amtrak should have put one in the lounge, at least.
There are toilets in the lounges, however in my experience they're usually closed off for Staff use or being used as storage.

peter

Persons who have to ''go' rather quickly and perhaps more frequently than most do appreciate in room toilets. Of course I could not possibly mean myself!!!!!!!!

In general, yes. There's a slot above the hallway that can hold some luggage. Not quite sure if it can hold two carry-on-sized bags, but I think it can.
The only other place to store luggage would be in coach, unless your SCA finds a place.
Our carry-on sized luggage fits/slides nicely under the seats, in either daytime or nighttime configuration.

Though, if you don't need it during your trip, I would always suggest to check your luggage. Its free.

To help explain some of this, the Viewliner roomette is more spacious than the Superliner roomette. (And the upper bunk has its own window!) But there's no public rack for luggage in the Viewliner, so it all has to fit in your roomette.

What's really nice about the viewliner roomette is the ability, at 3AM when your old man bladder says NOW, to sit up in the upper bunk, climb down, and use the wc. Two out of three of those absolutely cannot be done in a superliner. :unsure:

The overhead luggage space in the Viewliner has held our two 27 inch rolling bags although it is difficult to place the bags up there. We usually place one bag above and one on the toilet cover/step.

Yeah the whole toilet in the roomette so close to the seat is a no go for me. I have been on the train enough that trying to pee while the train is jarring is not easy. Now add to the fact that I'm sure that there are many instances where guys have missed and hit the seat next to the toilet and what about the dribble on the floor. Oh and trying to pee while speeding over a switch. Until the Viewliner ll come in, I probably will not be doing any East Of Chicago LD trips.

Plus I don't trust the SCA enough that they would clean and sanitize the seat next to the toilet or the floor after each passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back